Trumpers Aftershave Tonic

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Trumpers Aftershave Tonic

Post by bernards66 »

As many of you know, I am not inclined to mess around with aftershave products. The majority of them don't seem to work well with my skin; the classic high alcohol content style splashes irritate it and I just don't like the feel of the heavy 'aftershave balms' which tend to linger on my face. For several years I've used the lighter weight Clinique PSH on those rare occasions when I travel but otherwise it's been only D R Harris's Pink Aftershave. I was curious though when, a little while back, Trumper came out with this new A/S 'tonic'. From the ingredients list it seemed like it might work for me but I wasn't interested in spending the money just to find out ( there was a time when I would have, but not today ). Well, when I finally actually made it to London I was determined to have one of the classic upper crust barber shop shaves. For what I was looking for, Mr. Bargepole was emphatic...Trumpers original Curzon Street shop was THE place. So, a couple of Wednesdays ago that is where I went. I insisted that the barber go up front and get a bottle of this tonic to finish off my shave instead of the Skin Food that they normally use. And, it seemed to work just fine; soothing, no alcohol sting, no skin annoyance later on, and no residue. Since this stuff comes in plastic bottles it might be a good choice for me for traveling. I'm sort of regretting that I didn't buy any to bring home with me.
Regards,
Gordon
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Re: Trumpers Aftershave Tonic

Post by TRBeck »

Thanks for this, Gordon. I dislike balms, lotions, etc., and prefer splashes, but I also find that high-alcohol splashes bother my skin. Options like Harris Pink or this tonic are good to keep in mind, and I imagine I'll put some in the cart whenever I make my next order of shave goods. I appreciate the recommendation.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tim, You're very welcome. If you do decide to check out that Trumpers A/S Tonic I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.
Regards,
Gordon
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Welcome back, Gordon.
My favorite aftershave for quite some time has been Dominca Bay Rum Lime. But every so often I get tired of the alcohol and spice and want something more forgiving and subdued. I keep meaning to grab some Pink, but the cost always brings me up short. This tonic sounds interesting, but I'm having a hard time seeing how these ingredients add up to more than just flavored water. Maybe less is more (Hi, Tim) in this case, so I'm open to being convinced.
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I suppose in the final analysis they are all just flavored water but Trumpers can flavor it better than me.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gordon, looking at Trumper's site it seems that what you are referring to is the "Coral Skin Tonic". Does that sound about right?

Even if it is not the product you're referring to it looks interesting to me because it doesn't contain any glycerin. Either way it will go on the "short list" of things I would like to try.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Yes, I believe that's it. It's a fairly new product and I was glad I was afforded the opportunity to try it for it's intended purpose ( or at least for my intended purpose ) without having to buy a whole bottle of it.
Regards,
Gordon
Ken

Post by Ken »

Gordon,

My wife and I just returned from a week in London and a week on the QM2. At Trumper's Curzon Street, I bought a bottle of the Coral Tonic. I think it is very nice, although I am not a fan of the Coral fragrance. So I still prefer the DR Harris Pink. But still a good product.

Ken