Good lavender scents?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
blantyre

Good lavender scents?

Post by blantyre »

I'm looking for a good lavender for summer use (obviously a long way off in Chicago!). Basically a good dousing after a shower at the end of the day - nothing fancy - a simple plain lavender. I very much like Atkinsons but am down to the last bottle so that will be gone before labor day. Can't get Caldey Island over here as far as I know but that would work. I have some SMN but that's not what I'm looking for here. Also tried C&S Oxford and Cambridge - quite nice but again not what I'm looking for here. Tried Yardley EL - it's OK but has lots of other things in addition to lavender. Looking at some vintage Houbigant Lavande 90 - anyone tried this one? Other suggestions welcome, or if anyone has some old style US Atkinson's gathering dust I'd be glad to meet your price.
Rick
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Good lavender scents?

Post by Squire »

Good luck, I've just sorta settled on Harris lavender for the time being.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Rick, I have been looking for something like this too in order to fill my own desire. I thought I found it in Cella Eau de Lavande. That is an excellent lavender water and I'd be content to use it always but it can no longer be had here in the States. The bottle cap is too flimsy and the bottle leaks in transportation - almost always. The vendor said it was a nightmare to ship and has since stopped carrying it.

D.R. Harris is an excellent lavender water also and I use it from time to time. It can be a bit variable though as it has a musk note in it that can range from nearly undetectable to quite prominent. When the musk note is prominent, in whatever batch you receive, it can come off as too feminine, especially when dried down. When it's undetectable it can come off as quite medicinal, sharp, herbal and masculine. I've had both iterations and really you never know what you're going to get. I suspect the variation may have to do with whichever gender Harris may be targeting at the time but who knows, it may just be the vagaries of the formula.

I don't know if there is an answer to this or if there will be any time soon. Seems things like lavender water are disappearing these days in the era of olfactory suffocating industrial scents. Hopefully something will come along.

Chris
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Taylor of Old Bond Street is my preferred lavender water.
Bryan
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

Many thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look at the DRH when I'm next near to Merz. Shame about the Cella!
Rick
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Asked a similar question on another forum, and Saint Charles Shave was suggested. She apparently has two (in both edt and aftershave). One is "regular" and one is Bulgarian. From what I understand the Bulgarian is from the English type lavender.
John
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

John Parker wrote:Asked a similar question on another forum, and Saint Charles Shave was suggested. She apparently has two (in both edt and aftershave). One is "regular" and one is Bulgarian. From what I understand the Bulgarian is from the English type lavender.
John, Thanks for bringing this up. I forgot about this one. I have the Bulgarian version and it's nice but no where near as high quality as D.R. Harris or even Atkinsons. The lavender seems very weak in the St. Charles IMHO. That said it has very nice aftershave properties - very soothing. One could get on with this quite well if they were happy with a more subdued scent.

Personally, I prefer a more potent lavender scent.

Chris
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Thank you, Chris. Much appreciate the comments.
John
Janus

Post by Janus »

I like this "mountain lavender" from Portugal:

http://www.theportugalonlineshop.com/co ... nder-800ml

Not sharp, more like Caldey Island, IMO. There's other stuff besides lavender in there, but barely noticeable.
Janus
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Janus wrote:I like this "mountain lavender" from Portugal:

http://www.theportugalonlineshop.com/co ... nder-800ml

Not sharp, more like Caldey Island, IMO. There's other stuff besides lavender in there, but barely noticeable.
That's a pretty nice lavender scent. :) My current favorites are Jabonman's Lavender and Cold River Soap Works Select Lavender - they're actually quite similar, both resembling the Spanish lavender.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll look into how I might get hold of some of these to try.
Rick
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Rufus wrote:Taylor of Old Bond Street is my preferred lavender water.
Yep. Crystalline lavender note, a smattering of other very natural supporting notes, and quite lively and green.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I like everything about Taylor except the texture which leaves a slight oily residue on my face. It's quickly absorbed and I suppose the ingredient causing that was included for some sort of soothing purpose but I find the stickiness off putting.
Regards,
Squire
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Fair point, Squire, and something I'd forgotten about. I used up a bottle a couple of years back but I do remember the tackiness now. Not as pronounced as the Musgo Real a/s splash, but it is there.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It took me two bottles of Taylor Lavender to decide I wouldn't be buying anymore.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Rick,
Well, the subject has already been pretty well covered above but I'll add my two scents anyway. There is no doubt that scents like what you seem to be searching for have become more and more rare. I am surprised that neither the SMN Imperial Lavender nor the C&S rendition did it for you though. To me, those are perhaps the two very best more or less 'pure' lavender waters available. I don't use either one as they are just too pricey....but I would if cost was no object. Up in that price range I'd just rather fork over for Penhaligon's English Fern. And speaking of Penhaligon's, they used to offer just a killer lavender water but, of course, it's long been discontinued. I do have some of the US Atkinson's but no, I'm not interested is selling it ( chuckle ). Anyway, as has been already said, the Harris's is a high quality product but the musk base note can make it seem a tad 'feminine' IMO. FWIW, the 'musk' they use must be at least kinda authentic because it used to drive my pet guinea pig nuts. He seemed rather fond of lavender waters in general but the Harris's used to get him crazy....I'm just sayin'. The Taylor's is crisp, clean, and pretty potent. That glycerine, or whatever it is, that they add might bother you or it might not. Personally, probably my favourite 'lavender water' that is still being made is the Trumpers. A bit too much mint in the mix for me but still my favourite overall.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

For some reason I've never tried the Trumper's version but hope to get around to it before I hang up my spurs.
Regards,
Squire
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

One I like is Maison Francis Kurkdjian Plueriel pour Hommes. Woody and a lavendar base. Not too overtly lavendar, which my ex would say smelled "barbershop" or "old man". New lady friend likes it a lot. More of a skin scent than I would like, but it wears well and lasts through the day
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Curious isn't it Sam, that women of our age will make a reference to an "old man scent" but references to "old lady" doesn't seem to be in their vocabulary.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire,
I'm sorry but Sam's ex was hopeless when it came to gentlemen's scents. His current GF seems more discerning and appreciative ( chuckle ). As I've said here before I've had women from their 20s up to my own age compliment me on both English Fern and Spanish Leather so to hell with all this 'old man scent' bullshit.
Regards,
Gordon