Good lavender scents?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
gsgo

Re: Good lavender scents?

Post by gsgo »

Aqua Lavanda Puig is probably my favorite lavender cologne, this one is now hard to come by and seems only available in the large plastic splash style bottles, I cherish my current ramaining glass bottle of cologne.
Good shaving,

Gary
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

John, I did not specifically smell their lavendar, but patchouli and sandlewood I did. As I recall, their scents are not the super loud nor super long lasting that I prefer and would be more like an aftershave to me than a true cologne.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I just checked ebay and found a listing for an 1880's wicker protected bottle of Yardley Lavender Water. I bought it for $7.00 with $5.95 shipping. Listing says it is a sealed bottle with no guarantee as to it's contents.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

We can always hope for the best Pete. Hope you don't mind I edited out your double post, just makes the thread easier to follow.
Regards,
Squire
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

A terrific splash on lavender is Agua Lavanda Puig. Amazon has it and it's very popular in Europe. They also offer an EdC which was reputedly Frank Sinatra's favorite.

It's wonderful stuff and comes in an interesting bottle. I have some Caldy island that I don't like nearly as well as Agua Lavanda.
disengage
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I've been intrigued about the Caldy, how do those two compare?
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Squire wrote:I've been intrigued about the Caldy, how do those two compare?
Squire I have had both. The Puig has a cumin note that overwhelms the lavender and makes it smell somewhat like sweat after eating a huge Mexican meal IMHO. The Caldey is a very bright clean lavender. The Caldey almost smells feminine to me. For these reasons I rejected both.

The Yardley of old, which you may remember, is a clean masculine lavender that had brightness and green notes. It was classic, masculine, and subdued as I feel a lavender scent for men should be.

For these same reasons it's probably why the Yardley isn't made anymore.

Chris
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

Squire wrote:I've been intrigued about the Caldy, how do those two compare?
Well, I'm a sucker for lavender, and I got hold of some Caldy island - both a/s and EdT. I like them, but not as well as the Agua Lavanda. My wife disliked the Caldy, saying it smelled phony. As I said, I'm a scent floozy and especially so regarding lavender.
disengage
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, wives do exercise a final veto in the matter. I was in Charles Roberts' shop some years ago looking over scents. Picked out a bottle of Trumpers Ajaccio Violet cologne, turned to her and said I'd been thinking about this one as a light weekend aftershave then gave her a sniff. The reaction was memorable.

Both eyebrows went up and she said, "On you . . .no" instinctively taking a step back to distance herself from the stuff.

Oh well, best laid plans and all that.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Samples, that's a good way to save money too. Buying blind can lead to problems if you-know-who doesn't happen to approve. Especially when she says, "how much did that cost?"
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Samples are my go to. I once bought a batch of 68 of the most famous edts around here and got to see what they were all about. Found out I didn't like anything Floris so I gave my kids and grandkid the whole lot.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

My Yardley's old English Lavender Water arrived today. I believe that the description on ebay is true. This really appears to have been bottled in the 1880's. The labels are very old and the bottle is wrapped in wicker. How long has it been since bottles were wrapped in wicker. I will need to take a photo of it to post here because I couldn't figure out how to copy the ebay listing that had detailed photos from all directions. I wonder if this is truly a collectors item. I can smell the scent near the closure which is wrapped in tinted lead foil I believe. The back label says: Distilled from selected Lavender Flowers and blended with Musk and Ottos to increase the permanence and fragrance. The s's are slightly below the line of other letters and the top of the l's is curled to the right.
I know, I should start a new thread for this but since I already reported the purchase I put it here. If an administrator would like it moved please feel free.
Thanks.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, you might post the eBay item number since it already ended and we could look it up to see those pictures.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Good Idea. The ebay item # was: 381127101295.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, thanks for sharing the ebay item number. Those pictures are very helpful. Have you decided to take a chance and open it? For your sake I really hope it's the old good stuff. Who knows what 130 years of storage will have done. You got a good deal, regardless. Congrats on the find.
Gary

BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

Yes indeed, I'm very keen to hear how it smells (now there's a phrase you don't hear everyday) if you decide to open it.

Several years ago I remember reading about someone who paid some perfectly enormous sum at auction for a bottle of wine from Napoleon's cellar. It was un-opened. As the proud new owner was taking possession of the bottle, he was asked by a bystander if he planned to open it for some special occasion - he appeared to be amused by the notion and replied, "Good heavens no. It would be quite un-drinkable. Also most of it's monetary value would be lost if it were opened."

I've no idea if anything similar would hold true in a case like yours, but I thought I'd mention it.
Personally, and very selfishly, I hope you do open it!
Last edited by BiffBuff on Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
disengage
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Pete, thanks for the auction number (Brothers, thanks for suggesting it). Looks wonderful.

I say you're good to go if it was sealed all this time. Please let us know your impressions if you open it.

Chris
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I can smell it through the cap. I suppose they used corks in those days and some has penetrated the stopper. It smells just as I would expect from a new bottle. I am no expert at all. And I am reluctant to open it just for curiosity sake. I have nothing to gain and a whole lot to lose.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, it's a piece of history, and no one would dispute that you have made the prudent decision.
Gary

BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

I have to agree, even un-opened it has a unique beauty to it. In an appropriate niche it would look marvelous and you could tell the story.......followed by an invitation to sniff the top.

Still, I doubt that the phrase, "Wanna smell my cork?" will catch on. :wink:
disengage