Questions about Aftershave Balm and Aftershave Slash/Cologne

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Danny Shaves

Questions about Aftershave Balm and Aftershave Slash/Cologne

Post by Danny Shaves »

I've been wet shaving for about a mouth now and I really gotta start using an Aftershave because lotion isn't working to well. I was reading online and im highly interested in aftershaves.

I just have a couple of questions. There are Post Shave Balm and Aftershave Splashes that are sometimes Colognes as well. Is it recommended to use both? Which one is better standing alone? Do I apply the Balm or the Splash first?

I do like the idea of an aftershave cologne. Its a very cool step into killing two birds with one stone in the wet shaving routine.

Thank you for reading, Danny.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Questions about Aftershave Balm and Aftershave Slash/Col

Post by Squire »

Danny I believe you will find most of us use a balm or aftershave but not both at the same time. Some use a balm followed by cologne lightly applied to pulse points such as the wrists. Some (like me) combine the effects with a splash aftershave. Careful use of the razor avoids abrasion so my skin doesn't need any soothing and a stronger aftershave such as Taylor Sandalwood also dubs as a cologne.

Some of our members, due to preference or sensitivities, don't use any scented aftershave products so there are those to choose from as well.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I'm one of those scent sensitive types Squire refers to above. I'm a skin food junkie and find it's best all-round. Scents are neither oppressive, nor do they linger. ymmv.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I use aftershave in the main, balms occasionally and never use cologne. I find that balms don't soothe my face as an aftershave does and leave my face feeling slightly itchy. If you use a high quality aftershave a la TOBS, Harris or Trumpers I find a cologne unnecessary. There is nothing like a good dousing of alcohol on my face after a shave to leave me feeling clean, invigorated and refreshed; even more so if the aftershave also contains a bit of menthol.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Danny, your experience in this field will involve trying different products as you find some you like more than others. This can become a huge rabbit hole as you know. There are several SMF guys whose knowledge and wisdom you will find very helpful. Good luck with your journey.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have a few balms and a lot of aftershaves in my collection. One word of warning. Some balms are really oily/greasy and dry so slowly that I find them unpleasant to use. Prorazo is one like that. I have found that it is best to use only a pea sized dollop of those balms and rub it between my fingers before I apply. That way it works and doesn't grease up my face. On the other hand, I like to use a real palm full of splashes and rub the excess under my arms. Strong scents like Woods of Windsor or New Musk, I use less.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Call me a contrarian, but I like the cold antiseptic sting of an aftershave, followed by the application of a balm.

I use Proraso's products in both instances.
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

To me, it makes more sense to use a clear liquid scented after shave first, letting it dry/evaporate, then applying my Clinique for Men Post Shave Soother (a light milky emulsion which soothes and lightly moisturizes). I get fragrance and a bit of skin treatment.
The reverse would mean you are using an alcohol-based product, which could possibly act to remove the soother/balm you just applied.
My method... based on nothing but some possibly unsupportable notion... probably differs from others' regimen!
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
mrscruff

Post by mrscruff »

I apply moisturizer first, Nivea sensitive skin. Then a nice after shave, which ever you prefer. Hit the neck, and back of your nec, should stick around for a couple of hours. Clubman, Fine, TOBS, too name a few.