What's wrong with this picture?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
brothers

What's wrong with this picture?

Post by brothers »

Just a typo, but still makes one stop and think for a moment. Can you see it? Maybe it's just a joke, but probably not. Anyway I just spotted it yesterday and thought maybe you guys would get a smile out of it. This stuff is a strong menthol, pretty much unscented.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
kronos9

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Post by kronos9 »

Methanol? Do I win?
Ed
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

kronos9 wrote:Methanol? Do I win?
Winner, winner! Chicken dinner! :)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now if anyone begins questioning why a given shaving product is causing a problem, and there is interest in the ingredients, we can testify that what's in the product is really not guaranteed to be what's printed in the list of ingredients and vice versa. I had read this very short and inexpensive list of ingredients more than once before I "read" it the last time.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Never did try Snake Bite, but I do like the performance of some of Fine's aftershaves.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

In view of the stiff fines and penalties involved a manufacturer would be very foolish to falsely list ingredients on the label. In order to protect proprietary formulas they don't have to list specific percentages but they do have to accurately state what's in there.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

That's what I was thinking. A typographical error could turn into a legal problem.
Gary

mikey

Post by mikey »

Well, lookee here.

It appears Taylor has made the same error.

Thanks,
Mike
Last edited by mikey on Sat May 02, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Done on purpose I'm sure. Methanol is the primary additive used to denature the other alcohol in the cologne making the whole unfit for human consumption.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Maybe Fine's label is correct to a point, in the event theirs actually does contain methanol for a reason, and it may be that the error, if any, is that they omitted the menthol.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The reasons are financial, or more specifically taxes. The industrial grade alcohol used in cologne/aftershaves is pretty clean stuff so a denaturing agent such as methonal is added so it cannot be consumed. Of course no one is going to pay $60.00 for a bottle of cologne then drink it, that amount of money buys a lot of cheap booze, but if it could be theoretically consumed then the contents can be classified as liquor and taxed at a much higher rate.
Regards,
Squire
mrscruff

Post by mrscruff »

I have three Fines, think they're pretty good. Enjoy them.
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

It was probably "autocorrected" by the typesetting program - you need to sue Microsoft not fines!
Rick
brothers

Post by brothers »

blantyre wrote:It was probably "autocorrected" by the typesetting program - you need to sue Microsoft not fines!
The autocorrect scenario sounds very plausible.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:Maybe Fine's label is correct to a point, in the event theirs actually does contain methanol for a reason, and it may be that the error, if any, is that they omitted the menthol.
For those of us who tend to follow up with trivia --- the current label on Fine Snake Bite says "menthol" instead of methanol. It was just as we all thought, a typo. Happens to everyone, doesn't it. :)
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm not sure I think an over reliance on spell check is necessarily a good thing but it is easy to use.
Regards,
Squire
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

lol My bottle says pure menthol crystals. It's a bona-fide face-freezer par excellence!