Masculine Scent

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
ShaveNut

Masculine Scent

Post by ShaveNut »

Okay Gentlemen, I'm looking for suggestions for a masculine scent (cologne/eau de toilette etc...), not just any scent, I want something that will cause women to chase me down, tackle me, and start tearing my clothes off. Several women at a time is okay, however I don't want a stampede.
Seriously, I'm looking for a good masculine scent, not too pricey.
Don
Don
"I shave, therefore I am."
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Masculine Scent

Post by Squire »

I have some thoughts but first let me ask, how much is too pricey?
Regards,
Squire
ShaveNut

Post by ShaveNut »

Squire wrote:I have some thoughts but first let me ask, how much is too pricey?
Tell me your thoughts, I'll let you know.
Don
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Floris Santal has worked well for me over the years.

Santal exudes warmth and masculinity. If you're looking for a classic, but not dated, men's scent this is it. Santal opens with bitter notes of bergamot and lemon, which rise out of green grass freshness and spicy notes of black pepper, cloves, green cardamom and nutmeg. Warmth of spices stands in opposition with aromatic freshness of lavender. Sensual wood, incense, musk and vanilla are in base notes. Santal was launched in 2002.
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I think Sandalwood, woody, spicy Oriental in some sort of combination. Of course it really comes down to what works with your body chemistry. I've received more unsolicited complements from the ladies (some complete strangers, in an elevator, check out line at the store, etc.) while wearing Creed Bois du Portugal, Trumpers or Taylors Sandalwood, than other numerous aftershave/colognes I've used.

For a dryer scent in this general category I like Harris Sandalwood, Villoresi Sandalwood or Brooks Bros, and for a warm, sweeter note, Trumpers Spanish Leather.

For something spicier it's Taylor Shave Shop or Trumper Curzon.

I cannot list all the stuff I've tried over the years, or offhand even recall what I still have (I tend to buy backups for favorites) in boxes or drawers here and there, but masculine brings to mind the above.
Regards,
Squire
Luxlover

Post by Luxlover »

I agree Floris Santal is indeed very sophisticated, Masculine and the wearer exudes a smooth inner confidence to others.
Luxlover

Post by Barry »

How about the older version of Rive Gauche or American Blend (similar, but mentholated - by Fine Aftershaves)? From what I hear the newer release of Rive Gauche in the square bottle is close enough to the old version in the cylindrical cans so that might work too.

A member on another forum said he typically uses 6-8 sprays of the original Rive Gauche. I can't imagine a person doing that. The stuff is strong and I use about half a spray.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Rive Gauche didn't quite work for me. I liked it well enough but not enough to buy a second bottle.
Regards,
Squire
worthy_sam

Post by worthy_sam »

Penhaligons English Fern
Zizanie de Fragonard
Hermes Bel Ami
Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
brothers

Post by brothers »

This is a hard one, you know? I can't say that the ones I like and own are masculine or not, and women just naturally go wild when I'm around, even when I don't have any cologne on, if you believe that! :D I could list mine, but what good does that do for you. :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Caswell Massey - Tricorn
Brooks Brothers - 1818
Geoffrey Beene - Bowling Green
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Tricorn, now that's one I haven't thought about in years. At one time I had Tricorn cologne, aftershave, bath soap and talc.
Regards,
Squire
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Quite a few years ago there was a thread telling of a members experience in an elevator. As he was leaving a nice young woman left too. She stopped him to ask him what fragrance he was wearing because "I almost raped you in there." It was Aramis Tuscany per Uomo. Immediately bought some. Didn' t work for me but my crowd is mostly in their 70's and 80's. My daughter like Insense'.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ouchmychin wrote:Quite a few years ago there was a thread telling of a members experience in an elevator. As he was leaving a nice young woman left too. She stopped him to ask him what fragrance he was wearing because "I almost raped you in there." It was Aramis Tuscany per Uomo. Immediately bought some. Didn' t work for me but my crowd is mostly in their 70's and 80's. My daughter like Insense'.
Well, Don, this has to be on your very short list! Regardless of what it costs.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BPman

Post by BPman »

I have a decent vintage cologne/EdT collection, close to 100 bottles. Firstly, I recommend deciding which of the scent groups you enjoy, e.g., woodsy/spicy, floral or citrus. The first two work better in colder weather and the latter in hot weather. One of the best "take no prisoners" male scents is IMO the vintage Chanel Antaeus. Regardless, the reformulated version is better than 99.99% of all the new stuff. You can order it on the Chanel website as they sell it in few stores. It is a very deep & rich woodsy/spicy fragrance. Pure class:

http://www.chanel.com/en_US/fragrance-b ... aeus-88426

If you can stomach cinnamon, the reissue of the classic JHL by Aramis is the clear winner. WARNING: it is a powerhouse!! That's the term used by we collectors of the classic & overly powerful men's fragrances. That era pretty much ended by the early 1990's. Here's a forum that has splendid reviews & opinions of those classic fragrances that may help you:

http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=36
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good notes BPman, I'll continue to use those heavy hitters even if I'm the only one around to notice.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ouchmychin wrote:Quite a few years ago there was a thread telling of a members experience in an elevator. As he was leaving a nice young woman left too. She stopped him to ask him what fragrance he was wearing because "I almost raped you in there." It was Aramis Tuscany per Uomo. Immediately bought some. Didn' t work for me but my crowd is mostly in their 70's and 80's. My daughter like Insense'.
I can imagine something like this happening to a young guy (not the one in the anecdote above) who was really a dork, and as a joke from a sarcastic young lady who was almost asphyxiated while trapped in an elevator for almost a minute with this geek who doused himself with an evil-smelling potion. The guy sends her flowers and starts flirting with her until she has to make it quite clear that he will never be allowed to call her or talk to her again. Then for the rest of his miserable and lonely life, he continues to douse himself with this "love potion" and never stops wondering why everyone he ever meets shuns and avoids him, even when he knows deep inside his after shave makes him totally irresistable. Secretly referring to him behind his back as "Mister Stinky".
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My elevator moments (my office was on the 12th floor) were very positive, of course Creed Bois du Portugal helped.
Regards,
Squire
ShaveNut

Post by ShaveNut »

Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions. I'll have to try a few of these.
Maybe I should hire some body guards first to keep the women from trampling me.
[Bullhorn] "Ladies, please stay behind the barricades".
Don
brothers

Post by brothers »

Regardless of which one you find works best, we're all hoping you will indeed need those barricades for your own personal safety! Good luck my friend!
Gary