No. 74 Victorian Lime

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

No. 74 Victorian Lime

Post by Chris »

Anybody tried this? What's your opinion of it?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Yes, indeed. I finished up a bottle just this past week. The scent has a bit of an interesting history. It's actually not a Taylor scent originally, but is part of the range of Royal Yacht fragrances and shaving requisites. The Royal Yacht scents etc. were first created by Geo. Thomas. Thomas was a gentlemen's London barber, and younger contemporary of Geo. Trumper and Wm. Penhaligon. He started barbering in 1900, at a shop owned by a Mr. Jeffries, later taking over the shop. His establishment was on Duke Street, in St. James's. He successfully competed for the same type clientele as Trumpers, Penhaligons, and Truefitts. He became the 'official' barber for Eton College in the 1920s-30s. Thomas's shop finally closed in the 1970s. Some of the products were re-introduced sometime later by Swaine, Adeney,Briggs. A few years ago, when they decided to end production, Taylor apparently picked up the original Royal Yacht, and the Lime. IMO, the (now) Taylor's, is the 'best' of the classic English lime colognes. It has much greater stayong power then some lime colognes, like,say, Trumpers. Because of how it's heart and base notes are blended, it lasts for quite a while, but still remaining a clearly 'lime' scent. I like it, but, of course, I can't know if you would. If you generally like lime scented toiletries, then it's surely worth a try. Regards, Gordon