Pinaud Clubman

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Clarky75

Pinaud Clubman

Post by Clarky75 »

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a few cheap aftershaves. Was looking into more of the older type ones. Was wanting to hear thoughts on Pinaud Clubman, its hard to find in Australia so was looking to find out some thoughts on this as well as what this smells or compares to

As its to purchase here was looking for feedback

Thanks

Clarky
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Pinaud Clubman

Post by Squire »

Be glad to comment Clarky, which ones do you have locally? Of course there are a good many available here but I should think shipping would erase the bargain aspects.
Regards,
Squire
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Good point, Squire.

That said, Clubman is a fougere with a decidedly barbershop aspect. To me, this means geranium and a powdery sweetness laid over the traditional lavender-oakmoss-coumarin accord. There is a big geranium note, a waxy aldehyde sheen surrounding the lavender, and the powdery finish of old-school musk and patchouli. Maybe comparable to the traditional English fougeres (Penhaligon's English Fern and the like) but with the emphasis on geranium instead of lavender and with a less green-clean-from-the-shower vibe and lesser-grade ingredients. If all of that sounds disparaging, I don't mean it that way. It's a very classic scent and highly influential.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
brothers

Post by brothers »

The first time I smelled it in the bottle, I was not interested. But later on I bought one and found it to be pleasant enough to use frequently. It flies off the shelves at the local drug and grocery stores, and I think maybe Walmart. It's a sure bet that only a miniscule percentage of the guys who buy it and use it daily are also posting on the shaving forums. That tells me it's good enough for little old me. I used up my first small bottle and am now working on the larger bottle.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
stagger

Post by stagger »

Pinaud Clubman is one of the regulars in my rotation, as is Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve. Both, as has been previously mentioned, have a decidedly barbershop smell which I have an extreme fondness for. Best of all, SWMBO thinks I smell great when wearing either one.
Regards,
Mark -
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Mark! It's great to see you here again.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Clubman is one scent that I don't like. Reminds me of a couple of others that had the same base scent. Trying to recall the 1960's and 70's to gin up their names. I think one was Hai Karate. I got used to the scent in their shampoo but that is much lighter and washes out. If you shop the internet you can find many aftershaves on Amazon and ebay. I used to like Mennan Skin Bracer. Also Aqua Velva. Never cared for Old Spice because it has a lasting burn from the spice blend. There are a lot of bay rums that smell fine if you like that sort of pumpkin pie scent.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Being too young ( :D ) to remember barber shops when they were popular, I can't say with any accuracy whether it's actually a barber shop scent or not. But my impression from the scent itself and the comments of others is that it's nearly the quentessential old-school barber shop AS.
Regards,
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Mike if I had to choose one scent that typified the aroma of a barber shop fifty years ago it would be Pinaud Clubman.
Regards,
Squire
pundi64

Post by pundi64 »

I think the two that stand out for me are Bay Rum, and Special Reserve
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

Well its an interesting thing, I don't really note the geranium in it at all. Though I finally got a big bottle of it today and tried it out.

WHen I opened the bottle I got a good hit of alcohol and citrus/spice that I really liked. I got some on my neck and hand and went about my shopping day. After an hour or so, my hand just smelled like vanilla and maybe musk/mossy ness. But my neck still had some citrusy smell to it.

My hand still smells somewhat like Brut classic. The alcohol got my head aching, but the geranium or lavender in it hasn't helped.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

My favorite Pinaud scent is Eau de Portugal. It is a hair tonic but usable as an aftershave if you don't mind the burn.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

is it just me but in the bottle the scent is light and nice, and in order to get anything out of it, it takes a decent amount on the face. but when it heats up in an hour its horrid?
pausted

Post by pausted »

It's just you, Nic. :)
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

pausted wrote:It's just you, Nic. :)
Yep. . . you must have used too much of it. A light touch it's just fine.
Gary

nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

I keep it in my trunk, it was warm today.. it smelled godo in small dose. for a change.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I never got used to it. Good bathroom scent if you don't have any Lysol.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

its different alright.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It does smell cheap, as even an inexperienced nose can tell. Not unpleasant, mind, just cheap. Use sparingly or else. If you want a cheap barbershop scent you can't go too far wrong with some kind of bay rum.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace