Pierre Cardin on Ebay

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Ouchmychin

Pierre Cardin on Ebay

Post by Ouchmychin »

I recently saw a tube of Pierre Cardin aftershave balm on ebay. Bought it out of curiosity, and because it only cost me $1.75 plus about $3 shipping. I tried it yesterday and, yes, it still has that wonderful scent I recall from the 80's. That was a real find for an old man.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Re: Pierre Cardin on Ebay

Post by brothers »

Pete, you have a knack for searching out the sleepers! Good find.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

is Pierre Cardin still being made?
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

p,s, if it is still produced, is scent the same as it was 20th century? :D :D
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I just tried a comparison with an old bottle of PC cologne and the balm. The scents are similar but the cologne has a distinct carnation scent that dominates right after dry down. That is lacking in the balm. Of course I am comparing after-shave balm to cologne, but the carnation dominates the cologne and the balm has a slightly sour cast. I like both and I couldn't use that much cologne unless I wanted to announce my entry to every room. By the way, the old bottle only says "Distributed by Aladdin Fragrances, Syosset, NY", while the balm says "Distributed by Five Star Fragrance Company, Inc., Bellport, NY, Made in U.S.A."
Ouchmychin (Pete)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks Pete

My uncle (circa early 70's) used it quite a lot.....you talking about it brings back some good memories :D :D Thanks!!
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I will share my most powerful memories of Pierre Cardin.

First one is when I was a little kid and it first became popular. The kid across the street wore it and it seemed to smell very good (the 1970's). I wasn't into scent at all then but I do recall that fragrance in those days.

Fast forward to about four years ago. I have left work and I am running for the train station. I grab the door handle of 30th street station in Philadelphia with my raw right hand. Whomever had just grabbed that same handle prior must have absolutely marinated in Pierre Cardin (the original from the 70's not the stuff from the later years which smells different). My hand is completely coated in Pierre Cardin original, it's even wet. The silliage from the person who left his mark is poignant through the station as I make my way. He could not be far ahead. I never caught up to him though.

Straight after opening the station door I have to shift my leather briefcase into my right hand to alleviate pressure. For the next three years the handle of my leather briefcase smells like Pierre Cardin original. It was incredible. I even bought tiny samples from different decades to nail it down. It was definitely the stuff from the early 70's.

All that said, it was a very nice fragrance (the 70's version). When done in moderation it's clean and refreshing.

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks for the great story Chris

clive
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Thanks Chris. I don't know if my bottle was from the original or a slightly later era. Since I am 85 now I can say it was precious enough that I still have 20% left. Mine has a chrome cap with a tapered bottle beneath, wider at the bottom. It was too intense for everyday or Church, more of a show-off occasion type; so is Tuscany, from a later decade.
Ouchmychin (Pete)