Old Spice difference ??

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
malocchio

Old Spice difference ??

Post by malocchio »

Old Spice original A/S we get here in California is always the Canadian version...How is the version made in Germany ??...Same scent ?
BPman

Re: Old Spice difference ??

Post by BPman »

P&G has crushed the last remnant of the vintage Old Spice in India. It is no more. All the others are the same as in the USA now. :x
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Sad,,,,,,the Indian version was the only one I liked....
BPman

Post by BPman »

I just ordered some from West Coast Shaving which should be here shortly. A new maker, Rubicon, in India was awarded the new contract by P&G. I have read that they have changed the formula & I have read that they did not. :? I will know when it arrives as I have some vintage & will do a SxS test.

I recently bought a cheap knockoff sold at Family Dollar and made by Vijon which smells good, but is weaker than vintage. My solution is to mix it with vintage Old Spice COLOGNE (not AS) and use as AS as the vintage cologne version has more 'juice'. :wink:
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I still have a half a bottle of the original Shulton version and a bottle of the Indian version. Main difference may be psychological but the original seems stronger more pungent to me. Now all are gone. I am only using the original for comparison and it is long in the tooth. I'm hoping one of my grandkids will appreciate it but I doubt it.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
BPman

Post by BPman »

I can tell NO difference between the current Indian Rubicon version of Old Spice AS and vintage Shulton and that was after putting one on each arm for a day. They are the same IMO.

On another note, my 'home brew' of the Vijon Family Dollar Spice AS mixed 50/50 with vintage Shulton OS Cologne (not AS) smells damn close. On Ebay vintage Shulton OS Cologne is almost always cheaper than the AS version.
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

OK...But is there anyone who can compare the Indian , German and Canadian versions ??
BPman

Post by BPman »

Don't know, but the Indian factory was the only independent one left on Earth. The reformulated US version is actually made in Canada. My advice would be to buy your lifetime supply on Ebay from India now before a reformulation does appear as once it does happen the Shulton NOS Ebay prices will skyrocket. Grasshopper & the ant. :wink:
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

BPman, I am also concerned about the Aqua Velva in plastic bottles. I tried to order it in glass on ebay, but the vendor sent plastic in spite of the picture in glass he posted. I could have sent it back but it wasn't worth the hassle. Do I have a dud or are they the same?
Ouchmychin (Pete)
BPman

Post by BPman »

Aqua Velva hasn't used glass for years. Regardless, it's the same 'juice'.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Thanks. BP
Ouchmychin (Pete)
BPman

Post by BPman »

malocchio wrote:OK...But is there anyone who can compare the Indian , German and Canadian versions ??
I found this bad news for you:

http://www.theoriginalsafetytoo.com/thr ... -old-spice
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Thanks for that link; scientific proof that the Indian version is made identically to the original; not just the nose test (although that is usually pretty good; mine is 85 and not too reliable, it seems)
Ouchmychin (Pete)