Alcohol based aftershave

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
brothers

Alcohol based aftershave

Post by brothers »

I deplore all the bullying that normally accompanies even the mention of putting alcohol on my face. They cry and say stuff like "drying" and "aging" as if those are something to be avoided. My skin is dry and it's aging just fine, thank you anyway. I love alcohol-based aftershave products and that's exactly what Superior 70 Mentholated splash is. No water. If I want water, my house actually has a system of pipes running under the floor and through the walls that gives me all the water I might need. Here's my question: what are some other good alcohol based (non-balm) post-shave products I might find if I ever want a substitute or replacement for Superior 70? I'm not hoping to stink up anyone's personal space or attract women, because I seem to do alright in both respects without aftershave products. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gruffydd3

Re: Alcohol based aftershave

Post by gruffydd3 »

I really like the aftershaves from PAA. They leave my face feeling soft and I like the scents of a number of them. D R Harris Arlington is another of my favorites.

Rick
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I second Harris Arlington. Other favourites include the Aqua Velva line, TOBS Victorian Lime, TOBS Original 74, Trumper Wellington, Alt Innsbruck, Prada Luna Rossa, James Bromley Gentlemen's Aftershave, TOBS Lavender Water and TOBS Sandalwood. An aftershave without alcohol seems quite pointless to me. I've been using an alcohol-based aftershave for over 50 years and don't find it dries my skin or ages it. Balms, witch hazel, etc. Without alcohol just don't do it for me
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Rick and Bryan, thanks for these good suggestions. It seems that there are more of the alcohol based products than I anticipated.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
cpool222

Post by cpool222 »

I believe Old Spice is alcohol-based, right? I know... I'm old... I love Shulton Old Spice :D
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

Most of the Myrsol line is alcohol based. Have only tried Agua Balsamica and Don Miguel. Both are excellent imo.
Rick
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

All the vintage Penhaligon's, Crabtree & Evelyn, and Floris aftershaves contain alcohol. In my experience, all of them are soothing and have great fragrances.
_______
John
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

For off-the-shelf stuff, I like Old Spice Fresh Lime; Pinaud Vanilla and any bay rum and a favorite is Aqua Velva, one of the masterpieces of old.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
ask4Edge

Post by ask4Edge »

Some of my personal favourite alcohol-based splashes:

D.R. Harris Bay Rum
Eau d'Emeraude
Knize Ten
Alt-Innsbruck
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Speik aftershave is another good one
Rob
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, I still use them, this morning in fact, Taylor Shave Shop to be specific.
Regards,
Squire
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

The Trumper ones are all alcohol-based. The aftershaves are the same as the eaux de toilettes but with added water, but you say you have some system of -- pipes? In the walls? Isn't that asking for trouble? -- so just add water. Like it used to tell you to do on the old Old Spice bottles.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
brothers

Post by brothers »

Michael, OK. maybe a Trumpers with a dash of water wouldn't be too adventurous for me.
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Bargepole wrote:The Trumper ones are all alcohol-based. The aftershaves are the same as the eaux de toilettes but with added water, but you say you have some system of -- pipes? In the walls? Isn't that asking for trouble? -- so just add water. Like it used to tell you to do on the old Old Spice bottles.
Michael, how much water would one have to add to an E de T to make it a suitable aftershave?
Bryan
FireDragon76

Post by FireDragon76 »

Aqua Velva has some glycerin, but the Ice Sport would probably be something you would appreciate

I found Adidas aftershaves to be very good for being alcohol based. Also, not all balms are alcohol-free. Afta has a slight alcohol burn to it, but it's mostly a balm. I use it alot just because it's a happy medium and it does good things for your skin.
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

I used to prefer balms (in the '80s), but now that I've rediscovered DE and SE shaving, I've come to prefer the slap of an alcohol splash.

Two favourites:
Proraso Red - Like that sandalwood scent, and there's just a bit of shea butter that stays behind without feeling gooey or greasy.
Reuzel Aftershave - not a common brand, but inexpensive and has a great barbershop scent. I discovered it when my barber gave me a scalp massage with the hair tonic version of it.

Runners-up:
Chatillon Lux Pure Lavander - Smells more like chamomile to me, which I prefer anyway.
Mennen Skin Bracer - nice long-lasting base notes (vanilla?), cheap, and you can get it anywhere.
Pinaud Clubman - I was skeptical at first, but it grew on me. Sort of a grown-up version of Brut?
Old Spice Classic - I have no recollection of the original formula, but I thought this stuff was meh. More recently I've taken to using more of it (to use it up faster), and discovered that the once the base notes emerge after 45 minutes or so, I rather like it.

Okay:
Brut

Not awful, but not for me:
Floïd Vigoroso - I don't know what to make of it.
(any) Bay Rum

Bottom of the barrel:
Aqua Velva (any variety) - wait, they meant for it to smell like that? On purpose? Mostly just too powdery. I keep a bottle of Ice Blue and try it twice a year. Opinion still has not changed since 2016 [-(
Nivea DEEP - just ... euw! :-B

In the future I'll probably be looking for something that's heavy on the bergamot.
I like the scent (bergamot) of B&M Seville soap, but have heard that the AS is nothing like it. Any opinions on that?
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

I'm not much of an aftershave guy although I've picked up three bottles this year (Spanish, German, Swiss). Before that burst of spending, I'd only pick up a bottle of Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue just to have something on hand and because I'm cheap. Walking out in the cold air with AV was a nice combination.
Ed