Home Page | Gallery | PM Inbox | Forum Index  

Hove Diverti

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?

Hove Diverti

Postby TRBeck » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:16 pm

Hove is a very old-school and cool perfumer in New Orleans. Located in the French Quarter, it is a cozy little shop with a lovely staff and a very interesting assortment of independently-produced scents.

http://www.hoveparfumeur.com/default.htm

Hove has been on my radar almost since I started wetshaving, but I never visited the shop until July of this year. I had a grand time sampling fragrances for me and for my wife, and I could easily have walked out very poor. Instead, I settled on a one-bottle limit before visiting. Hove's fragrances are all created in-house; it's a family-owned and operated business. The shop is a trip back in time. Contemporary fragrances do exist in the line, but I found myself drawn to some of the more "vintage" smelling stuff, in particular Diverti. The description from the site:

DIVERTI- Light and refreshing, this blend of sandalwood, cedar and a mixture of floral notes creates a divertissement of it own.

Well, I suppose it's light, but not in a modern, ozonic way. This is done in the style of Taylor Sandalwood, Brooks Brothers 1818, or maybe a long-lost Royall fragrance. Certainly there are light hints of jasmine, rose, and some herbs, but the main thing is a gentle sandalwood and cedar accord. There is a shave-cream-and-talc-like presence to it; it isn't powdery in a fusty way but very much smells like the sort of thing you'd apply before drinks at the country club. It's made for the SMF gentleman IMO. This is not pretentious stuff, nor is it big and loud. It's not for guys who like their fragrances stuffed full of notes (which I sometimes do) nor for guys who want an aquatic Lacoste flanker after playing racquetball. Put on a blazer, wear this, and arrive clean-shaven, and you'll be doing things right.

Hove is well worth visiting, as is the other French Quarter perfume house, Bourbon French. Both have their roots in old-world, old-school fragrance, and as a result, while neither is going to blow you away with an avant garde oddity or give you the current comfort food of minimalist watercolor pastiche, both parfumeurs understand classical construction and make affordable, sturdy scents. I'm sure you guys will find your own favorites if you head to either shop, but start with a spritz of Hove Diverti if you're looking for something that will speak to the old-school wetshaving geek in you.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
TRBeck

Re: Hove Diverti

Postby drmoss_ca » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:21 am

You make it sound quite delicious!

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Postby brothers » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:24 am

Tim, it sounds as if a sampler would be in order. The prices seem reasonable. I've read their lists and am curious.
Gary
brothers

Postby blantyre » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:08 am

Very interesting - I like the fact that they offer a 2 oz size since I rarely make much of a dent in a 4 oz with a large rotation. Do you get a sense of whether they use mainly EO or fragrance oils? It's not a deal breaker but I prefer EO when possible for no particular reason - they just seem to have a more nuanced scent but I enjoy lots of fragrance oil scents.

NO in July - a blast of something cooling and fragrant would be very welcome after walking outside! I missed this shop on my last (rather rare) visit but spent pretty heavily at Rubenstein's men's shop so it's probably lucky that I didn't find Hove as well.
Rick
blantyre

Postby Gene » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:53 am

I am planning a trip to New Orleans next month - if I have time I will try to get by there.

Interesting looking place.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Gene

Return to Colognes & Aftershaves