Hammam Bouquet and Joy

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
blantyre

Hammam Bouquet and Joy

Post by blantyre »

I got a 1/2 oz bottle of vintage Joy from my mother in law when she was clean out to move. It's probably about 50 years old but was unopened. I opened it to see what it's like. I immediately thought that I had put on some Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet. I have a bottle of the older "single warrant" era HB when it had a distinct animalic note.

I currently Wearing both - one on each wrist. As they dry down the Joy gets sweeter and more floral with a soapy note and the HB drier and some sandalwood. Nevertheless these two are cut from the same cloth - about as close as English Fern and Wild Fern IMO.
Rick
EL Alamein

Re: Hammam Bouquet and Joy

Post by EL Alamein »

Rick, good to know.

I will miss the Hammam, especially the old version which I was lucky enough to snag a bottle of. I also have a bottle of the newer stuff and while it's good it's not as nearly rich as the old stuff.

It's not something I'd wear out and about but I do like it on the back of the wrist in the Evening when relaxing with a cocktail. It transports me to my perceived notion of another time. Anyway, it's nice.

Chris
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Wow, I have bought a bottle of Joy for my wife on ebay and never thought to compare the two. I got a small sampler of HB and rarely use it too. I think I'll go put some on now and see if my wife notices it.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I assume we're talking about "Joy" Jean Patou. This was my Mum's favourite perfume and I really liked it on her, but I can't imagine wearing it myself; somewhat different to my Aqua Velva Ice Blue and my favourite Harris Arlington.
Bryan
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

Rufus wrote:I assume we're talking about "Joy" Jean Patou. This was my Mum's favourite perfume and I really liked it on her, but I can't imagine wearing it myself; somewhat different to my Aqua Velva Ice Blue and my favourite Harris Arlington.
Correct the Patou - definitely considered to be a woman's perfume. I was surprised at how much overlap it had with HB.
Rick
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Either one is pretty pricy on ebay now.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

I never noticed that but my mind's nose says you're absolutely right. Tho' the old Hammam Bouquet Extract had a strange balsamic dryout which the new entirely lacks, and the Bulgarian Rose otto was astounding. Joy was more like Rose de Mai, came singing out of the bottle. They were two greats but Joy hung on longer. Hammam now a beautiful but ghostly memory of the original. I used to have a silver-mounted 1oz bottle of the extract (perfume strength) Hammam. When it ran out, you'd take it back to Wellington Street (Covent Garden) and they'd refill it. But I first encountered it in Truefitt & Hill in Bond Street; they for some reason had the recipe and it was the only place you could get it IN THE WORLD. Not expensive, either. Not really. I only found it because my barber in Trumper - chap called Mason -- was ill and I needed a haircut, stat. There was a small advertisement at the till, for Hammam. I sprung for a bottle. What a piece of happenstance.

If Mrs Bargepole were wearing Joy, I'd not be on the Web right now. I'd be creeping around after her like a dog, sniffing surreptitiously. But Joy is over.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Nice to see you out and about Michael! :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes, one of the soul of SMF. Thx for checking in!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

What ho, chaps. In the pink, I trust?
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis