Why sandalwood?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Brutus

Re: Why sandalwood?

Post by Brutus »

Am I missing something here?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandalwood

Maybe it helps that I am based in the Middle East, just an Arabian Sea away from the place where this stuff grows.
But my sandalwood fondness may have more to do with the fact that in my younger years I was given a sandalwood shower gel after a critical exam by a young lady that I was quite keen on.
The lady moved on, my attraction to sandalwood stayed.

Probably it wouldn’t have if the sandalwood fragrance was extracted from used sandals 👡 - gypsy or otherwise.

Regarding the smells in far away countries, the typical musty smell of the hot humid air in the tropics when we opened the airplane doors after landing is deeply burned into my memory. All a function of local flora, heat and humidity, I guess.
You don’t get it as much anymore since air-conditioned jetways are connected to the aircraft after arrival.
In that case you have to wait until you exit the terminal.

There may be other elements in the smell as well that I rather not discuss.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
libertine

Post by libertine »

I also enjoy Sandalwood. Probably a favorite as a single scent. My GFT Sandalwood skin food is a fixture.

Sandalwood products seem to be in the mild to medium strength range - another requirrement for me.
brothers

Post by brothers »

In a general sense, I've recently added vetiver to the naturally attractive sandalwood fragrance.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

For myself I like sandalwood though I rarely use it in any sense.

My special use for it is Christmas Day when I will, most years, use Trumper's Sandalwood cream for my shave. It's intoxicating and it's memory is tied to the first Christmas I was married. Great memories if good times.

Chris