Rose Scents

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

there is a cologne called voluer de roses by lartisan. very earthy and rosy. very good to some. go to basenotes.com and read up on it.

i loved the rose scent of salters the best, but i liked the trumper over taylors as trumpers was "louder"

sam

and chris, no i dont look like dan quayle, but ernie from my three sons
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, I think I would have to agree with you regarding the shaving creams. Awhile back, on another board, I did a personal comparison of the rose creams ( Taylors, Coate's, Trumpers, and Salters---I've never tried the Harris's or T&H versions ). For me, the Taylors came out on top, although they're all excellent products, obviously. Harris's Pink is indeed a pretty straight rose scent, but as you suspected, it is very light, fading quickly. Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet is a superb, aristocratic, very 19th c. cologne. I would have to say that the otto of rose is the most dominant note in the cologne, although it is not, per se, a 'rose' cologne. It does go very well, IMO, with rose shave cream. Harris's does offer a rose cologne that they sometimes present as 'unisex' but personally, I experiance it as a ladies cologne. Floris No89 also has a noticeable rose note, but not quite so dominant as in the Hammam Bouquet. The Penhaligons may be your best bet. I wear the aftershave version because the cologne is a little too much for me as a daytime scent. Regards, Gordon
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

Chris,

I really like the rose shaving cream from T&H it is a very full scent and very manly. When I am in a real rose mood I use T&H rose & Coral Skin Food and I am in rose a paradise. :)

Paul.
A Peach looks good with lots of fuzz but man's no peach and never was. ~ Burma Shave
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, PS, Although Floris Rose Geranium is possibly my favourite of all bath soaps, they no longer, to my knowledge, offer a cologne in that scent. I've been told that years ago, they sold a Rose Geranium shaving soap. It must have been marvelous, but that was before I was even aware of Floris. Pity. Regards, Gordon
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

There is a very unique line of Rose based scents called Les Parfums de Rosine. This is a small niche French house based at the Palais Royal in Paris (very near Serge Lutens if you are a fragrance "junkie"). In a matter of weeks they are introducing a fragrance called Rose d'Homme. They also recently introduced a fragrance called Un Folie de Rose which is a Chypre style perfume easily worn by a man. In the US, this line can be found at selectBarneys NY and http://www.lusciouscargo.com.

If you like Rose Geranium, Charles at QEDUSA makes a shave stick in this fragrance. You'll have to contact him directly to get info.

Chris
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

chris: if you get a chance, compare or contract the penhaglions with the voluer de roses. VdR was too earthy for me, but i would like to see how it compares with the Penhaglions, if you would be so kind

sam
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Poor fellow. You do indeed have a pretty serious case. But, regretably I'm hardly in a position to be of much help, as I've had the condition myself for years. FWIW, I think that you made uniformly excellent choices. I'm very familiar with all the colognes that you chose, except the L'artisan ( and I have at least taken a sniff at that as well ). Two that you've ordered were on my '10 favourites' list that I did on another board, and the Hammam almost made the list as well. Of the Caswell-Massey scents, you wound up going with my three favourites from their line. BTW, it you really like the Persian Leather, I'd suggest that you stock up, as it's become apparent to me that they're planning to phase it out. Please do post your impressions after you've had a opportunity to actually wear them. Regards, Gordon