ed

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Todd, Nice isn't it? This is one of those rare scents that I think gents of almost any age can wear appropriately. The English novelist, Jilly Cooper ( speaking of Penhaligon's English Fern, which is extremely similiar ) said,"...it's the sexiest thing a man can wear...". It's most definately a 'fougere', French for 'fern'. But it is a classic Edwardian fougere, of a most British type. The central note is actually English Lavender, and the most important base note is oakmoss. These notes are what largely define a classic gentleman's fougere. Glad you got an opportunity to try it. Regards, Gordon
natebeck

Post by natebeck »

Todd-
I too, obtained several samples from Trumper's, Floris and Penhaligon's and the two that just knocked my socks off were Trumper's Wild Fern and Penhaligon's English Fern. I just obtained a bottle of the Wild Fern last friday, as well as a bottle of Trumper's Spanish Leather. When I wore the Wild Fern on Saturday I couldn't stop sniffing my shirt either. It is amazing stuff. Even though my wife still likes Tommy, I believe that Wild Fern is my new favorite scent.
Today I am wearing the Spanish Leather, and it will make up my second spot. The drydown with this scent is particularly nice and I find it is very comforting all day long. A very clean, masculine scent.
Thanks Gordon for your advice on the two different Fern scents on Method Shaving. It was helpful. Good day!
Nathan Beck
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i would love to find some samples of penhaglions. any link or email site to beg for samples of the hamman and blenheim bouquets? sam
natebeck

Post by natebeck »

Sam-
I just went to the Penhaligon's website and located on the "About Us" page I clicked on their contacts link and called the U.S. "Penhaligon's By Request" toll-free # and asked for some samples. They were more than happy to send me several samples. I hope this helps.
Nathan Beck
Robert G.

Post by Robert G. »

I'm still on the fence with English/Wild Fern. After the initial application it seems extremely nice, but the initial top notes, to my nose, smell kind of like black licorice. Does anyone else pick up on this, or is my nose completely off.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Todd, Don't feel bad, you didn't know about them for a reason that is also part of the reason that they are so good. They don't advertise. It is said that in all the years from 1790 to today, D R Harris has never once run an advertisment, for example. These firms have always catered for a specialty market, originally the English aristocracy and gentry that maintained town homes in St. James's and Mayfair. This was a demanding and discerning bunch, and these firms mainly competed against each other for this trade. Rather like the Savile Row gentlemen's tailors. Most of the old Savile Row tailors don't advertise either, it was all word of mouth. So, these firms remained small, often family owned, and continued to sell there products on reputation. And their reputation rested ultimately, on their quality. They remained small, and continued to produce their goods using traditional methods, rather then mass producing, and counting on advertising campaigns. Really good toiletries, like really good shoes, can not be mega-mass produced. So, really, you've come to these old firms in the traditional manner, that is, by word of mouth ( via the internet ). Regards, Gordon
natebeck

Post by natebeck »

Todd-
Thanks for the welcome! In response to your comment about Floris, I have tried three different samples of their fragrances-No.89, J.F. and Cefiro. I wasn't knocked out by any of these, however. The 89 was a great fragrance, just not my cup of tea. I am not partial to rose scents and so when I wore this fragrance my skin really brought the otto of rose to the front. Nice to sample though. I did purchaes the Special No. 127 on a whim after reading about the great price on this forum. A bottle is on the way. I figure, for $20, if I don't like it I will give it to my dad who lives next door to my wife and I.
Have a great day.
Nathan Beck