Spanish Leather: Trumper's vs. Truefitt & Hill's

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, I agree with Todd, since you'll be in Toronto anyway, by all means, stop by and give it a sniff. 'Spanish Leather' is another of those very old, classic, and largely English, styles of cologne. It's origins go back to London in the 1700s. Cusson's Imperial Leather soap scent is ultimately rooted in a cologne made by a firm called Bayley's of Bond Street in the mid 18th c. One can still catch the similarity in style, even to this day. The formula for Caswell-Massey's famous #6 came originally from London, also, around the same time, and is a variation of the Spanish Leather type scent. Ed. Pinaud of Paris, was said to make a superlative Spanish Leather cologne during the 1800s. There are probably only three genuine Spanish Leather colognes still being offered ( perhaps four, if we include Woods of Windsor for Gentlemen ). Trumpers, T&H, and Santa Maria Novella. All three are quite distinct, one from the other. I think that Todd is right about Truefitts being a heavier more potent scent. If I had to guess, I'd say that it is the older of the two formulations. In the cologne version, it's quite powerful, even slightly 'sweet', and it dedinately had a lot of staying power. Trumpers is a lighter, 'cleaner' style. The local Nordstroms FINALLY brought in some T&H products just this past weekend, and I immediately grabbed a bottle of the Spanish Leather, but I got the lighter aftershave version. Like with Hammam, the aftershave is plenty potent enough for me, if I have any intention of wearing it to work etc. With Trumpers Spanish Leather, I always go for the cologne. Personally, I prefer the Trumper's version, but they are both truly classic, and classy products. Regards, Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, It is, indeed, a neat story. I could never figure out how people managed to keep that little label on/in the soap as it was being used! Still can't. Cusson's acquired the scent around 1900, I believe from Bayleys directly, shortly before that firm ( sadly ) closed it's doors for good. I bet they had some fine stuff in their archive books. Regards, Gordon
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Hi,
They are both nice, but my vote goes for Truefitt&Hill. I am not knowledgeable about scents to the point I could accurately describe the notes, but to me the Trumper version seemed a little, well, "girly" to me.
(Not to offend any of those here who like it so much!) perhaps it was because I only had a sample, but I like T&H Spanish Leather much better!
John P