If you like Polo, then you will love this!!

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
natebeck

If you like Polo, then you will love this!!

Post by natebeck »

For all of you who like Polo by Ralph Lauren, it is a copy of Trumper's Astor cologne. I received Astor in a batch of samples sent by Trumper's, and was immediately struck by how it smelled like Polo. Well, I was talking about it with Jean and Charles at Enchante and they told me that Astor is the fragrance that Ralph Lauren copied to make Polo in the green bottle. If you like this scent, give Astor a try. Of course it smells better than Polo because it is the original! I have always liked Polo when worn appropriately and I love Astor. Very classic. Take care.
Nathan Beck
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nate, Although it's obvious that Ralph Lauren used the old upper crust gentlemen's scents as his model ( he DOES actually have good taste, afterall ), it's doubtful to me that Polo is a commercial 'copy' of any one cologne, per se. Rather, he mimicked a general style, as he did with clothing, I think. There are some similarities between Astor and Polo, but Polo also resembles a couple of other old English scents, as well. Crabtree&Evelyn did the same thing when they came out with their original C&E for Gentlemen cologne. The Polo bottle is VERY like the ones used by Truefitt&Hill, and I assume that that was the model fot the design. To me, Astor is a rather unique cologne. It has that noticable caraway note in it. I can't think of another scent, off hand, that has it, at least to that degree. Personally, I've rather ambivalant regarding Astor. I have a full 100ml. bottle sitting in it's fine drum box, in my cupboard, but I rarely wear it. Of that range, I'm most into Wild Fern, and secondarily, Marlbourgh. Regards, Gordon
JoeDizzy

Post by JoeDizzy »

I agree, Astor does seem to be very close to Polo. Possibly not as strong and maybe a little sweeter during its dry down.
Joey