Lavender

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nathan, The Atkinsons has more umph and staying power, although all true lavender waters are fairly light by definition. Keep working on her, you'll bring her around, as Nate has done ( his wife used to love 'Tommy', not any more, since he's persisted in wearing Wild Fern and Spanish Leather ). Regards, Gordon
Chris73

Post by Chris73 »

I enjoy spraying the Taylor Lavender Water on before bed (I think I got this idea from a post here). I find it really refreshing and relaxing. Any recommendations on a lavender dominated fragrance with more complexity and additional notes to it for more everyday type wear...(a Castle Forbes type limes to my Trumpers Limes if you will)?

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Yes, I mentioned splashing on a little lavender water before bed, nice isn't it. Let's see, both Trumpers and Czech & Speake Lavender Waters have other discernable notes in them, personally of the two, I prefer the C & S, but it's very expensive. Santa Maria Novella makes a lavender and ambre splash. The classic Caron Pour Homme is a fine lavender top note on a vanilla and other notes base. Then, of course, there are my favourites, Penhaligon's English Fern and Trumper's Wild Fern. These are classic old fougeres, and are really lavender centered fragrances. This should do for starters. Regards, Gordon
Chris73

Post by Chris73 »

Thanks, Gordon. Have you been to the Santa Maria Novella shop in SoHo? I think all of their fragrances are EDCs, are they not? Maybe I'll test the lavender amber....

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Yes, definately. I stopped in to the SMN shop in SoHo last November. Dragged the wife and one son several blocks out of out way to do it, too. My son dosed his wrist with the Peau de Espangna, and it lingered on his shirt for days, freaked him out ( he was 13 at the time ). I used to sample the SMN scents at Takashimiya on 5th Ave. The Imperial Lavender is real nice, but it's more a straight lavender scent. The Lavender Ambre is a little different. Let us know what you think. Regards,Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Sorry. Yes, they're all EDCs as far as I remember. There's a tremendous difference in strength though, depending on the scent. Some, like the nice Russian Cologne, are quite light, while some, like Tabac or Aqua di Habana are very potent. IMO, the SMN scents are their own thing, different from any other line. Regardless of personal preferences, they are high quality colognes. Just remembered, there are a few aftershaves as well. Lavender and Russian are two that I recall. Their soaps are superb, but very pricey. Regards, Gordon
Chris73

Post by Chris73 »

Sounds interesting. We were in the city yesterday, but didn't make it down there. The Penhaligon's ladies in Saks got to me first and the wallet was a little lighter than planned afterwards. The good news is, we're all registered with them so that we can order without paying delivery in the future apparently. I asked them if there's anything I need to go and check out at the Madison Ave store that they don't have in Saks and of course they told me no. But they would say that. Maybe you can confirm, is the only difference that the Madison Ave store has silver and leather goods, besides being aesthetically more like the real London Penhaligon's ambience?

Thanks
Chris
PS: In case you're wondering, no, I did not buy the 16oz (!) bottle of Blenheim in Saks.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, What a display of disipline on your part! Walking away from the giant bottle of Blenheim! It is pretty impressive though, isn't it? Actually, one can still get the 200ml and 500ml bottles of the other classic scents, but they have to be special ordered. I'm not sure regarding the current array of stock at Saks. Up until recently, when they still had the Penhaligon's boutique in the back, they had pretty much the same as the Penhaligon's shop ( minus, as you say, some silver gift items and such ). But, now that the situation has changed, I'm not sure. You could go to the Penhaligon's web site and see if Saks had all the scent products that are listed there. I keep wondering if they're going to continue to stock it, as, apparently, other Saks stores are no longer carrying the line. Regards, Gordon
Chris73

Post by Chris73 »

Gordon, I noticed that they did not have any Hammam sample vials. It was one of the last ones I smelled and by then my olfactory system was completely overwhelmed. It seems it's one of those very interesting, polarizing scents. Could the lack of samples indicate the upcoming discontinuation as predicted by some in this forum or did they ever offer samples of Hammam?

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Oh yes, definately. They always had samples of Hammam. I had a couple, I'd be reluctant to buy a whole bottle of a cologne that expensive without the opportunity to wear it a few times ( not that I haven't bought 'blind', you understand, I have, and often regretted it ). I don't know if they were simply out, or if it's a harbinger of discontinuation as you suggest. I guess we can only wait and see. Thank goodness there is their own shop on Madison, in any case. Regards, Gordon
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Hi folks,
Just wanted to revive this to see if any of you had tried Caswell-Massey's English lavender cologne? I recently purchased some of this here in San Diego, and while my gf doesn't like it (she doesn't like lavender, vetiver, mint, sandalwood, or many of the other smells I like) I do. It lasts quite awhile, also. I thought the smell had completely worn off, but she could still smell it on me hours later. If you like lavender give it a whirl. I am not in general a huge lavender fan, but I do like the clean, fresh sortof smell it seems to have.
Could just be me, though.
Still its worth a shot, I'll leave the rest to you lavender connoiseurs-but I like it.
John P
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

C-M has their Lavender on sale right now!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

For what it's worth, I recently bought a bottle of DR Harris Lavender Water, and it is incredible! Best, John.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John P., I also think that the C-M Lavender Water ain't bad, but one I like even more is the Crabtree & Evelyn, surprisingly. It's awfully clean and straight up. It's the closest thing I've found to the old Yardley English Lavender for Men ( Atkinsons is pretty close too ). Anyway, it quality Lavender Water that's attractively priced, and easier to get then most. Only available in spray, however. John, Well Harris's Lavender Water is famous, and of superb quality. That musk base note makes it more long lasting, but also softens the scent, and to my nose, makes it a bit more 'feminine'. I've worn it, however. I think that Lavender Water, like 4711, goes through cycles of being sold more to women, and then at another point, being sold more to gents. With Harris's Lavender Water, we seem currently to be in one of the 'sold more to ladies' periods. Regards, Gordon
CharlieV

Post by CharlieV »

For those who may be interested the Yardley Lavender that Gordon speaks so highly of is available at Chelsea Square, 601 Valley Rd.,Upper Montclair,NJ. Tel.973-746-6468. No website as far as I know. The owners name is Vicky & she can fill you in as to pricing & availabilty. I did price the cologne small spray bottle & it was under $50. exclusive of tax.
She also carries the Atkinson.
I have no affiliation with this store other than having been a customer for over twenty years.
Regards,
CharlieV
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

Gordon, Thanks for the good info on DR Harris Lavender Water. Lately, I often splash some on before I turn in for the night. Based on what you've told me, it's no wonder SWMBO asked me the other night if 'men really wear lavender water'? Oh well. Best, John.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, Show her a bottle of Trumper's Lavender Water some time, to calm her concerns. In the period right after WWI, young English officials, detraining in various parts of the Empire, have been described as "....arriving smelling of pipe tobacco, tweeds, and lavender water...". Charlie, I really must check out that shop sometime. It sounds like a NJ mini-Cambridge Chemists! Is it hard to get to or to find, coming from the Morristown or Summit area? Unfortunately, the Yardley product that I referred to above, ceased being made decades ago. This was the stuff that Sinatra favored, and was called, ( Old ) English Lavender for Men. It was different from the 'regular' Yardley Lavender Water. Still, even the 'regular' and real English Yardley Lavender is very hard to find in this country. Cambridges, and a couple of other NYC shops stock it, and Bridgham & Cook offer it online I still have some that I lucked into, for cheap, a number of years ago. It strikes me as a bit like Harris's in that it has a slight 'feminine' undertone, but a gentleman can wear it. It's amazing to me that that NJ shop has both it and the Atkinsons. Regards, Gordon
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

Thanks, Gordon. The perfect excuse to order some Trumper's: convincing SWMBO. I needed a good reason. Best, John.
djmsalem

Post by djmsalem »

I know this is off-topic, but I have to ask: What is SWMBO?

Spouse With Male Body Odor?
Sweet Wife Mesmerized By Obsession?

Thanks,

David
djmsalem

Post by djmsalem »

Ah! Now I see!

Many thanks,

David