Lavender

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
stbdtack

Lavender

Post by stbdtack »

What's your favorite (favourite for you blokes) lavender?
--Pat Thayer
Living well is the best revenge.
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Oxford and Cambridge by Czech & Speake.
stbdtack

Post by stbdtack »

I really love lavender -- the only one I've tried recently is Trumper's Lavender Water. It's nice, but the peppermint in it, though subtle, comes across too stongly for my taste.
--Pat Thayer
Robert G.

Post by Robert G. »

I would highly recommend DR Harris's Lavender Water. It is very nice and subtle, and stays close to the skin. Regards, Robert.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

God, Lavender water! I was wondering when this one would come up. Penhaligons made a beauty, but it's no longer offered, sorry to say. Of what can still be gotten, let's see. Czech & Speake, definately. I also like the inexpensive, but difficult to find, American bottled Atkinsons English Lavender. Straight forward, masculine, very nice, IMO. The Trumpers has too much peppermint for my taste, also, and the Harris's, while top quality...well....that musk basenote causes it to come across a little too 'feminine' for me ( although I have worn it at times ). I have a large bottle of the original Yardley in the 'perfume' strength. It also is wearable, but the Atkinsons strikes me as a little crisper, a little more clearly masculine. Every gent should have at least one bottle of good Lavender Water around, I think. Some times I splash some on right before bed, very relaxing and pleasant. Regards, Gordon
stbdtack

Post by stbdtack »

Thanks, Gordon -- I'll try to find Atkinsons. Most of our tastes seem to be similar -- might be partly an age thing.
--Pat Thayer
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Pat, You're very welcome. The story of Atkinsons is interesting, and ultimately, sad ( at least to me, kind of like that of Ed. Pinaud ). Atkinsons was one of the oldest, and most highly regarded, of the English gentleman's perfumers. The firm started in the 1790s, and was a Royal Perfumer, along with Gossnell and Floris during Victoria's reign. They continued to supple cologne water, soap, etc. to the English gentry until after WWII. They wound up being bought by Italian Unilever, and today, I believe the name is owned, ultimately, by Proctor & Gamble ( how depressing ). However, there are three colognes that are still bottled in the US, from imported essences, that seem to be approximations of the old authentic Atkinsons' scents. I don't know much about the outfit that provides these, but they seem relatively true to type. They are the Lavender Water, Royal Briar ( Reagan's favourite cologne, they say ), and Gold Label ( a classic eau de cologne type scent, said to go back to the firm's beginnings ). I've only seen it at Cambridge Chemists and at Boyds in NYC. There is also one eclectic site on the web that has the Lavender Water, but I know nothing of that company. Good luck. Regards, Gordon
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

If you like a multi-note EDT with lavender in it, Florida Water is pretty good.
Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
And I watch 'em roll away again
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

www.chapmanandson.com carry both English Lavender and Royal Briar by Atkinson's (both are $17.50 for a 4 oz btl).

Chris
stbdtack

Post by stbdtack »

Sad story for sure, Gordon. I have a bottle of the English Lavender on its way -- I'll report after I wear it a couple of times.
--Pat Thayer
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

I purchased both the lavender water and the Royal Briar just for "kicks" sicne they were so inexpensive. I also asked the retailer for samples so I coudl try them. Neither excited me too much. Lavender is, well, just Lavender. It smells very much like straight up English Lavender EO. The Royal Briar is more interesting though very light. It's a citrus/spice combo that has a very "old school" feel. I won't keep either of them so I'd be happy to sell them to anyone interested. Contact me at fisher.c2comcast.net if interested.

Chris
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

That's fisher.c@comcast.net, sorry :?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, I thought of the Atkinsons because Pat seemed to want a pretty straight up, no nonsense, masculine Lavender Water. It and the Czech & Speake were the best I could think of, of that type, that's still available. I rather liked the Royal Briar, although I don't own any. I've been told that years ago, when it was still made by Atkinsons in London, it was considerably more potent then what's now available. I would have liked to have checked that out. Regards, Gordon
honkdonker

Post by honkdonker »

While lavender is strangely one of the few fragrance notes that I have not explored in detail, it is definitely one of my favorite.

I think that Taylor's Lavender shave cream is one of the most intoxicating aromas I have smelled, and like many of you, I have enjoyed hundreds and hundreds of top quality fragrances over the years. There is just something about it that I am amazed by...

Trumpers Lavender Water is also quite terrific to my nose. It has a spicier note, but to me, does not overpower the lavender to any great degree. Like all things Trumper, it is exquisitely done. Here is hoping that Trumper is able to suvive for many years to come!

Thanks.
stbdtack

Post by stbdtack »

Gordon,

The Atkinsons just arrived -- it's exactly what I was looking for . You're really good at this! Thanks.

How is the Czech & Speake different?
--Pat Thayer
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Pat, Excellent, I'm glad that it is what you had in mind, because scent can be so very tricky and personal. Czech & Speake? Well, maybe a little more nuanced, and MUCH more expensive! Enjoy. Gordon
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Czech and Speake is MUCH more expensive. About $100 for a 100ml bottle. But, it is far superior IMO. CS is a much more complicated fragrance and much longer lasting as well. You can get a sample by email'ing them at http://www.czechspeake.com I think. You might also try Neroli, Cuba and no 88 from them while you're at it. These are also quite beautiful fragrances.

Chris
stbdtack

Post by stbdtack »

Thanks, Chris. I'll give it a try.
--Pat Thayer
Chris73

Post by Chris73 »

I am addicted to Taylor's lavender shave cream...I am assuming I would also love the cologne. Any fans out there and what's the easiest way to get my hands on a bottle?

Chris
slaneyg

Post by slaneyg »

Roger & Gallet Lavande Royale

Yea, French, but it is still my favorite. Great summer scent.

Was able to buy large bottles for next to nothing in NYC accross the street from the Hilton at a cosmetics store...back when the dollar was strong.