Lavender

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

any of you tried stuff from these people? I notice they have their own lavender farm and provide all manner of things, well, lavender; including shaving creams, hydrosols, oils, etc etc.
John P.
http://www.hillcountrylavender.com/products.html
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris73, The Taylor's Lavender Water struck me as pretty straight Norfolk Lavender. It's quite sharp, very herbal. I ordered mine directly from Taylors in London. Like their Bay Rum and Mr. Sidneys, it comes in a plastic bottle. You might also google for the 'Norfolk Lavender' folks. Their cologne is very similiar, if not the same. Regards, Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Slane, The Roger & Gallet Lavende is, indeed, a quality product. It has a few too many other notes in it for my personal taste, but it is good stuff. Even at the current depressing exchance rates, the R&G colognes are still a pretty good deal, and their soaps are superb. Regards, Gordon
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Chris:

I have a brand new btl of Taylor's Lavender cologne for sale. If interested, contact me at fisher.c@comcast.net.

Chris
Chris73

Post by Chris73 »

Received this evening. Thanks, Chris. I want to bathe in this stuff it smells so good..

It did remind me how much I hate the rubbing alcohol plastic bottles, though. If any one from Taylor's is reading this, I swear I'll pay the extra $5 bucks or whatever a basic glass bottle costs. Anyone think their stuff smells like plastic after more significant shelf life? I haven't owned a bottle for more than a couple months, so I can't comment.
sean mac

Post by sean mac »

Thanks for the heads-up about the plastic bottles of Taylor's colognes.

Dabbling into colognes is a new obsession, and I am about ready to make my first purchase. My wife loves the smell of Taylor's Eton College shave cream, so I though that purchasing the Eton College cologne might be a good move on my part.

How much of a distraction is a plastic bottle? Do most companies use glass, or is plastic pretty common?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sean, The use of plastic bottles by the makers of top shelf traditional colognes is, mercifully, not wide spread. For some reason, Taylors uses plastic for the three that I mentioned above ( Lavender Water, Bay Rum, Mr. Sidneys ) but all the others are properly bottled in glass. Many of the Trumper colognes are available in plastic, as a travel option, but are generally sold in fine heavy brass stoppered bottles. None of the other English gentlemen's perfumers use any plastic bottles, as far as I know. Some insist that it makes no difference, but I disagree. Like Chris above, I find the plastic displeasing and inappropriate for such quality products, and although the Taylors Lavender and Mr. Sidneys that I've had, seemed okay, I got some Trumpers Spanish Leather that had originally been in a large plastic bottle, and it was 'off', it was not as it should be. Was that because it had been sitting in a plastic bottle? I can't prove it, but I believe that it was. Regards, Gordon
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

Many years ago I found Aqua Di Colonia Fresca by Victor. It had delightful overtones of lavender as only an Italian perfumery can do it. Anyone know where I can find this great smelling cologne?
Regards,
Ron
Last edited by guenron on Thu May 12, 2005 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Gordon, how would you compare the Atkinsons English Lavender to Taylors lavender shave cream? Is it the same kind of English lavender?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nathan, Basically, yes, I think so. The Atkinsons cologne does have other notes in it, but they're very subdued, only imparting a bit of lingering quality that straight lavender wouldn't have. Yes, it's very similiar to the Taylors cream. So is the Taylors Lavender Water, but personally, I prefer the Atkinsons. Regards, Gordon
slaneyg

Post by slaneyg »

Dont forget about Lavanda Puig Eau de Cologne. It has been around for a long long time. Spanish, not pricey and it was Sinatra's favorite! Reason enough to try. 20 bucks for 6 ounces. I really like it in the summer and fall.

fyi, basenotes reports:

Top Notes
Lavender, Bergamot, Rosemary, Petitgrain

Middle Notes
Geranium, Clary Sage

Base Notes
Must, Cedarwood, Tonka Bean, Moss

Graham
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Graham, Right you are. The Puig lavender water is another of those 'sleepers', like Atkinsons, that only the cognoscenti even know exists. The Puig is very nice, but it's also VERY light. The Atkinsons has a bit more punch. But they're both great bargains in the world of men's scent. Regards, Gordon
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Graham, Gordon, thanks for the tip. If it's good enough for Old Blue Eyes, it's good enough for me. (Time to change my avatar again.) But now, where to buy it? I Googled the cologne, and there are a lot of places that offer it in all different sizes and at all different prices. Some look a little dubious to me. For instance, there is a place that claims to sell a 25.5 ounce bottle of it for $18.75! (http://www.fragrancesupplier.com/unisex ... NDA%20PUIG) Another company is selling the 6.75 ounce bottle for 36 GBP, or $66. Huh? (http://scentdirect.com/scent.php3?scentID=490) The most legit looking place I found is La Tienda, which is a family-run company in Virginia that specializes in offering Spanish goods to the States. They are selling the 6.75 ounce bottle for $19.95. (http://www.tienda.com/bath/pop/cl-10.html) Since I have never heard of any of these places, let alone done business with them, the whole prospect is a bit risky. Does anybody have any opinions on these places, especially La Tienda? If you can name another place you know well and trust that sells it, that would be great, too.

Thanks.

-Edit-

Dang! I just saw that La Tienda sells a Magno soap 3-pack for $8.75. That stuff normally goes for $5 a bar, which isn't outrageous, but at $2.91 a bar, that's a steal! I love that soap. I think I know where I'm getting the Puig, now.
slaneyg

Post by slaneyg »

Gordon,

You're right, it is light. There are a couple versions of it though, either way, you can buy oceans of it and splash away!

Graham
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Graham -

Which versions are there? La Tienda sells what they call Lavanda Puig Eau de Cologne, and the bottle and box pictured says "Agua Lavanda Puig." Fragrancesupplier.com, which sells the 25.5 ounce bottle, calls what they sell "Agua Lavanda Puig," but the box in the picture looks different than what is pictured on the La Tienda site. Fragrancesupplier.com does not say it is an Eau de Cologne. Scentdirect.com, the ultra-expensive seller, calls their offering Eau de Cologne, and just pictures the bottle. It looks the same as on La Tienda.

I haven't made the purchase yet. Although La Tienda's offering looks the most attractive to me, especially because I can buy Magno at the same time, I would like to know what the different versions of the cologne are before I buy. If you or Gordon - or anyone else - can enlighten me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
slaneyg

Post by slaneyg »

Nathan,

For example, on the latienda site there's two that i can see.

The normal glass bottles of Eau de Cologne version (the classic):

http://www.tienda.com/bath/pop/cl-10.html

The quart size(!) after-bath splash version:

http://www.tienda.com/bath/pop/cl-07.html

In the past i've had a more concentrated version from Puig, though they may call it something else. I'll research it further and report to you soonest. The antoniopuig site is useless.

Regardless, my suggestion is to go with the classic and see if you like it.

Graham
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Aha, so there is a 25.5 once bottle, only it looks nothing like the bottle fragrancesupplier.com shows in their picture. I think you're right: probably the classic Eau de Cologne is the best way to go, and La Tienda's prices are the lowest I've found. Still, I'll be interested to know if you can find out about that more concentrated version. Thanks for the insights, Graham. Much appreciated.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nathan, Sorry, I can't be of any more help then Graham already has been. I've always had the classic eau de cologne, wasn't even aware that there was a more concentrated version ( although I gather from Graham's response, that even that's still pretty light ). I've bought it at 'Perfumamania' type discount shops, and once at Kennedy Airport. The price from that Spanish goods site sounds about right to me, and, as you say, it's a great price on the Magno soap ( the original black, mineral salts soap ). Sounds straight to me. Regards, Gordon
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Help enough, Gordon. Your post on WetShavers confirming that Sinatra started using Puig after Yardley Lavender was no longer available helped. I've gone ahead and ordered some Puig EDC through La Tienda, along with the Magno soap. I'll let you guys know how I like the Puig, as well as how La Tienda did with their service. Now, if only those Trumper and T&H cologne samples will get here, so I can go about ordering some serious cologne, I'll be set.

Thanks again, Graham, for all your help.
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

The package from La Tienda arrived a few days back. They are indeed a straight-up business, and if my one purchase through them is any indication, one can do business with them without hesitation. (My only reservation is that they charge a pretty penny for USPS shipping. I could have paid less if I wanted to go UPS ground, but I never opt for that if I can help it. Most other retailers I have dealt with will charge the same or less for USPS as UPS.) The Puig is nice, but very light, as Gordon said. I put quite a bit on my chest the day I got it, ran some errands, then went over to my girlfriend's and had her take a sniff. She said, "It smells like leather." I smelled, and there was no lavender smell at all - only the smell of my suede jacket. The Puig had worn off entirely. The next time I went over, I practically bathed in the stuff, and this time she smelled it. Still, it was gone after a short while. She liked it OK, but it was far from her favorite. (Her favorite on me is the original Jean Paul Gaultier, which I am loathe to wear but to please her. So, I guess winning her over with fine scents is an effort in futility.) With such short staying power, I don't know if the Puig is one I will buy again. And, even though I do like the scent, I still find myself gravitating more toward the likes of Trumper's colognes. Still, I'm glad I tried it out, and I will wear it every now and again.