Lavender

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

That's her, and she loves the title! Best, John.
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Just revisiting the topic. I went to the Czech and Speake website, and no longer see lavender listed as a cologne option. When I checked the site a couple months ago, they said the lavender was not currently available, but at least they mentioned it. Does this mean they are no longer producing it? I tried calling their stockist in Los Angeles, since I am currently staying in Southern California, but from what I can tell from the answering machine (I called after hours), it is a corporate distribution office, rather than a store. Does anybody know the scoop?
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

C and S's "lavender" fragrance is called Oxford and Cambridge. It's on the current website (http://www.czechspeake.com) but shows "out of stock." You can also call Cambridge Chemists in NY as they carry the entire line of C and S fragrances I believe.

Chris
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Ah...I was wondering if it went under another name. Somehow I must have known that in the past, but forgot. Thanks for reminding me.

-Edit-

Sometimes my airheadedness amazes me. Looking over the thread a bit more carefully, I see the very second post in this thread said "Oxford and Cambridge by Czech & Speake." In my very cursory reading fashion, I thought it said, "Oxford and Cambridge or Czech & Speake," making me think Oxford and Cambridge was another brand, not the actual cologne by Czech & Speake. ~Sigh~
Last edited by JackieMartling on Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Update on Czech and Speake: according to their West Coast (US) distributor, C&S is having production problems, and their entire line is currently unavailable until late August/early September, save for existing stock in various stores. Unfortunately, no stores in the Los Angeles area have any Oxford and Cambridge, nor does Cambridge Chemists in New York. Looks like we're just going to have to be patient.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nathan, Yes, do try and stay alert here, there's a lot to remember. So, Cambridges does not have any Oxford & Cambridge huh? Hmmm...that's most unusual. C&S have had their issues vis a vis their colognes. Originally, they were made in England. Then they switched to having them made in Italy, to reduce costs, and recently, I think, they changed makers again. The other place that I used to see it was at Takashimiya dept. store on 5th Ave. in NYC. Nice stuff, but brutally expensive for lavender water. Regards, Gordon
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Gordon, I contacted Takashimaya, and they no longer even carry Oxford & Cambridge. In fact, I contacted every US stockist on the CS website, and nobody has it. Thus, we must wait until September or so. Now, before I get all worked up over this, how similar or different is this stuff from either Puig or Atkinson? I know you said it is more "nuanced," but is it appreciably different from either? Is it stronger or longer lasting? For the price, especially relative to the price of the Puig or Atkinson, I want something a bit more noticeably different than mere nuance.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

C&S have had their issues vis a vis their colognes. Originally, they were made in England. Then they switched to having them made in Italy, to reduce costs, and recently, I think, they changed makers again.
Gordon - you are correct. I received an email from Czech & Speake indicating that they are in the midst of changing their supplier, but were unable to give any time frame - just "keep an eye on our website, we will change it immediately as soon as new product is back in stock."
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nathan, Sorry old boy, this is lavender water, nuance is the name of the game. C&S is good stuff, but it IS dreadfully expensive, and no, it's not stronger then other genuine lavender waters. As I said to Pat, at the beginning of this thread, I really think that the Atkinsons is one of the best, everything considered, and especially if one does not really care for the heavy peppermint note in Trumpers. Like Trumpers, though, the Atkinsons is still made as a specifically gentleman's lavender water, not 'unisex'. It's good straight forward stuff, and definately has more umph then the Puig. Caron Pour Homme has a nice lavender top note, but then you get the vanilla dry down, and that's not for me. The aftershave is cleaner, but hard to find. Some liked the Annick Goutal Lavender, but it's also very expensive, and also hard to find. I have about 1/2 a bottle of Trumper's Lavender. When it's gone, if I buy anymore straight lavender water, it'll be Atkinsons. Regards, Gordon
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Gordon, I just ordered some Atkinson's yesterday, so between that and the Puig, I think I will be set in the lavender water department for a while. Thanks for clarifying the qualities of the C&S. I feel a bit more at ease with my purchase of Atkinson's, now. On a similar note, I expect a bottle of Taylor's No. 74 Lime in the mail tomorrow, so I will post my comments on that in the relevant thread when I know what I think of it.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

I got a bottle of Yardley's lavender cologne in the mail today, and tried some after my shower this evening. Very nice scent - tends toward the sweet/powdery/vanilla side of lavender than some of the more menthol-like scents you get with some lavender plants. It is a nice scent, but perhaps a bit on the feminine side - I will have to wear it a bit more to decide.

-Scotto
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Scotto, I agree. The current Yardley Lavender Water is definately wearable by gents, but is a bit 'soft' or as you say, "..on the feminine side..", as is the D R Harris's, I think. The Atkinsons is a similiar, but crisper, more decisively masculine. Interestingly, the real English Yardley Lavender Soap has a sharper more masculine scent then does the cologne. If you're in NYC, Yardley Lavender Water is available at Boyd's and Cambridges, and I think perhaps, Pasteurs. Regards, Gordon
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

I finally got my Atkinsons Lavender after an unpleasant snafu with Chapman and Sons (see my Buyer Beware thread in the general forum for details), and I can say it is quite a nice scent. Between the Atkinsons and the Puig, I would definitely side with the Atkinsons. The Puig is nice, but extremely short lived, and less purely lavender. The Atkinsons has a very nice, straight-up English lavender scent, and lasts considerably longer. As a plus, my girlfriend likes it, too. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Gordon.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nathan, Glad that you finally got the Atkinsons, after all that grief. And, glad you like it, and your girlfriend also. They did a blind study one time, in which it was found that lavender was one of the scents that the largest majority of women found to be pleasant or attracting on men. Anyway, I think that the Atkinsons is one of the best lavender waters specifically for gents, and certainly the best buy. It's a real pity that it's so hard to find. Regards, Gordon
stbdtack

Post by stbdtack »

I just came across a glowing description of Caron Pour Un Homme as the "be all - end all" of Lavender for men. Anybody ever try it?
--Pat Thayer
Living well is the best revenge.
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

I've tried it. It was one of nearly ten or so lavender waters I was trying (among many other types of scents) at a specialty fragrance store. I seem to recall it smelled nice first going on, but in the dry down it lost some of its uniqueness. The fragrance is not a pure lavender, but it is dominated by lavender notes. Honestly, I can't remember exactly how it smelled, but I do know that I left the place without buying it, for whatever that's worth. Then again, what I did end up buying (Annick Goutal lavender) has turned out to be something I doubt I will wear. I guess that's the problem with smelling 20 or 30 fragrances over the course of a couple hours - it gets so you can't smell straight anymore.

On another note, I just got some Harris lavender water, and I am quite fond of it. I do not mind the musk note that keeps Gordon away from this stuff. If only it lasted longer. I can practically pour it on, and within an hour, it's barely noticeable.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Pat, See my post above. The Caron Pour le Homme is definately a classic, but it's not straight lavender water. The top note is very nice, very high quality Provance lavender, but then one gets an increasingly dominant middle and base notes, which are quite heavy in vanilla. That's not for me, pesonally. The Caron Aftershave is cleaner, less vanilla, but it is hard to find. Regards, Gordon
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Gordon, I just re-read your post. I didn't know you had mentioned Annick Goutal until just now. When I bought the stuff, it was the first I had heard of it. You're right, it is expensive. I don't doubt it is hard to find, but the store where I bought it carries nearly everything. It is incredibly potent going on - very herbal and plant-like. In the dry down, vanilla and tobacco (?) notes take over, and the scent gets quite heavy and sweet - one could even say cloying. For the price I paid, I wish to hell I like it more, but alas, I'm not sure if it will ever be one I use. It sure looks nice on my dresser, though.
slaneyg

Post by slaneyg »

Gordon,

One lavender water which may be harder to obtain than most is Roger & Gallet eau de Lavande. Different product than Lavande Royale, its a single note lavender water i think. I still have about half of a large bottle left and used it yesterday morning, long lasting on me, where lavande royale lasts about 30 seconds! I've seen it next to the lavande royale on a few "European" websites, never in stores here though. Here's a picture of the bottle:

http://www.levres.com/fra/brand.htm?bi=374&start=0

Let me know if you'd like a sample.

Graham
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Graham, Yeah, that stuff has become impossible to get in the US. It's another of Roger et Gallet's real classic colognes. It's analogous the their Jean Maria Farina Eau de Cologne, which likewise is NOT the 'Extra Vielle' that is sold here, and is, IMO, much better. Did you get the bottle that you have in Europe? Sure, I'd love to check it out, if you're willing to go through the trouble of sending me a little. It would be much appreciated. Another unusual one ( in the US ) is the Molinard Lavender Water. I have a largish bottle of that. It's beautifully bottled, but, unfortunately, the scent is a quite 'feminine' variant. Oh well. Regards, Gordon