"Coral Skin Food" First-Timer

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
scarface911

Post by scarface911 »

Hi and Welcome to the forum!

You have a very good regimen. In fact I use pretty much the same stuff you do as well except for the Vulfix Brush. The Trumpers Limes is one of my favourites and it works well for me. The Merkur HD is pretty popular on this forum as well. As for the Coral Skin food I live by it. No matter what my regimen for the day is it always ends with coral skin food.

You do no need to do anything to get rid of the coral(rose) smell because within about 10 minutes or less it is gone (well for me it is).

In terms of usage you should only need to use a small drop of it. If you use to much your face tends to be a little shiny. You only need one small drop to be effective and the plus side to that is that one bottle will last you quite a while.

I hope this helps. Maybe some of the more experienced wetshavers here can shine more light on this.

Cheers.
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Welcome inkling. I use a tiny drop and apply it to my wet face. Anything moren than this is too much for my face. Application varies from person to person. The scent/smell will fade away.
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

If you don't care for the rose scent, Trumper also makes a limes skin food.

Rick
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

gruffydd3 wrote:If you don't care for the rose scent, Trumper also makes a limes skin food.

Rick
Limes is the best imo.
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

Inkling (is that an allusion to C.S. Lewis & J.R.R. Tolkien, by the way?)--

I use Coral skin food daily, and consider it second only to shave creme as a sine qua non for my daily regime. I agree with Austin, it works best by far if you apply it when your face is still moist. Only a drop...

As for the scent, I really have come to enjoy rose as one of the classic men's scents. Give it time, it may grow on you. (The Lime's is great too).

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
Troy

Post by Troy »

Over time I've come to prefer Trumper's skin food in the summer and Harris' aftershave milk in the dry New England winter. I do like the scent of coral skin food, but it is fleeting.

I would add that it's easy to overdo the skin food and end up with a shiny face. I find that this is more likely to happen if I wait until my face is dry to apply it.

-Troy
The difference between theory and reality is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality, but in reality, there is.
--Anonymous
DEF

Post by DEF »

I'm working through a small sample bottle of Coral Skin Food right now, and I have to say that I still very much like the cheap-o alternative of Corn Husker's Lotion. CHL is also glycerin and gum based, so it performs very much the same as Skin Food -- and I would say even better, as it delivers just a bit more moisture and sealing. Its scent is also very neutral and disappears quickly. I put a dime-sized drop in one hand, rub my hands together, then massage it into my face. I find that it works best if my skin is still a bit damp.

Check drugstores and the lotion/skin care aisle of your local WalMart for CHL. If you don't like it, you're only out three or four bucks.
Doug
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

I too have been a long-time fan of Corn Huskers (longer than I've been using a DE). I squirted some Thayer's Extra Strength Witch Hazel in mine to thin it a bit. I prefer to use it either when I've really overdone things to my face (5 passes with a Feather after 2 G&Ts), or in the dry, bleak winter days.

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
DEF

Post by DEF »

Scott --

Great idea with the witch hazel. I'll have to try a concoction of Corn Huskers, Aloe, and Witch Hazel. The best of three worlds!
Doug
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

inkling wrote:
Inkling (is that an allusion to C.S. Lewis & J.R.R. Tolkien, by the way?)
Bingo! (No one ever gets the reference...)
http://www.inklingbooks.com/