Hair Tonic?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Evan

Hair Tonic?

Post by Evan »

Ok I couldn't think of any other place to post this, because there isn't a forum for hair topics.

Can someone tell me exactly what hair tonic is used for? Is it like hair gel in a liquid form? Does it hold your hair in place? Also, what are some good ones? Thanks

Evan
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Hair tonics

Post by qed-usa »

Evan -

Hair tonics SHOULD be to condition BOTH the scalp and the hair, though I doubt most hair tonics or lotions do these functions today. The majority tend to simply grease the hair to plaster it in place. Exceptions are any of the hair tonics from Pashana or Eau de Quinine / Eau de Portugal from Pinaud. It is my opinion a good hair tonic also makes about the very best hair conditioner, and I often use one on my hair after shampooing.

Charles
QED (vendor)
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Hair tonics

Post by qed-usa »

Evan -

Hair tonics SHOULD be to condition BOTH the scalp and the hair, though I doubt most hair tonics or lotions do these functions today. The majority tend to simply grease the hair to plaster it in place. Exceptions are any of the hair tonics from Pashana or Eau de Quinine / Eau de Portugal from Pinaud. It is my opinion a good hair tonic also makes about the very best hair conditioner, and I often use one on my hair after shampooing.

Charles
QED (vendor)
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Charles: i have thin and thinning hair and currently use some thickening gel to apply after i shower and let it air dry while i eat breakfast. then i blow dry it out and it "suppossedly" leaves the hair shaft thicker. i think it also trains my hair somewhat. i then use pomade to get my hair to sorta stand up, and for hold and shine, as oppossed to hair spray which dried my scalp out as i have psoriasis. any thing you can add or suggest?

sam
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Thinning hair ... no reason for the blues

Post by qed-usa »

Mr. Winkle ... or do you prefer Winky?

Boy, thinning hair can be a sensitive issue to discuss with some guys. My feelings on the subject are really quite simple .... but, remember, these are only my feelings. I don't believe in thickening substances or any other gimmick to get men to believe somehow their thinning hair is going to be concealed. Most of these products end up making men look foolish. For a chap with thinning hair I believe it is still possible to maintain a neat attractive appearnce by having your hair cut short by an experienced barber. Short, nicely layered hair, with a neat edge all way round is, to my eye, is much more attractive than some guy trying to create the allusion of Elvis Presley hair with the 3 strands he's got left. And it's not necessary for you to have Sean Connery good looks to make yourself more attractive. For me, a handsome appearance comes from a well-tailored all-round appearance. I am not certain I am getting my point across ... but thinning hair does not necessarily mean unattractive. It is how men handle that thinning hair that is important. If you spike your hair then I assume you keep your hair short. This tells me you still have a good amount of hair on your head. Not lush and thick, obviously, but more than 3 strands. If this is the case, I see nothing wrong with spiking your hair and if pomade does the trick for you, grand. Depending on the nature of your hair I could suggest eliminating the pomade ... which is obviously just a greasy holding substance, and nothing more ... and go with a Pashana or a Pinaud hair tonic. But this kind of advice is hard to give without actually seeing your locks. It is my belief men with thinning hair are much more attractive with shorter hair ... and the more you lose, the shorter the hair. There is some point shaving the head or cutting the hair almost level with the scalp is the best solution ... like Jean Luc Picard of the Enterprise. To my eye, long hair on a gent with thinning hair look ludicrous.

Regards,
Charles
QED (vendor)
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Shampoo + Conditioner

Post by qed-usa »

Todd -

Shampoo, like a good complexion soap, is one of the hardest products to locate. You wouldn't think so with the number of shampoos and soaps on the market. In any case, most shampoo either coat my hair or dry it like a tubmleweed. I do like the shampoo from Baxter of California ... seems to clean without stripping, and it rinses completely. I also like a shampoo called PURE made by a small Scottish firm. I think the "miracle" ingredient in this shampoo is the use of local spring water. As for conditioners, there are none I really like. They all seem to coat my hair, not condition it. I always suggest a good hair lotion or hair tonic as a conditioner. The best - to me - are the hair tonics from Pashana which are formulated with natural essential oils that work with both the hair and the scalp. I also like Eau de Quinine (for dark hair) and Eau de Portugal (for light hair) from Pinaud. NONE of these hair tonics coat the hair or scalp but condition them. After shampooing and towel-drying the hair, just spray (I like to use an atomizer to apply my hair tonics ... more economical and you get the tonic to go precisely where you want it) a small amount of tonic on the hair and use your fingers to rub into scalp and hair. If you feel you need a bit more, then apply it. Then simply comb your hair in place .... and leave it alone.

Regards,
Charles
QED (vendor)