Home Page | Gallery | PM Inbox | Forum Index  

Is Plisson still in the hunt?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!

Is Plisson still in the hunt?

Postby brothers » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:41 am

Posts regarding Plisson brushes seem to have pretty much disappeared. Do we have anyone who still uses them on a regular basis? I think that the same thing has happened to brushes that has happened to shaving soaps and creams --- artisan custom limited editions and one-offs have pretty much knocked the big name brands off the front pages, and of course synthetics continue their growing markets due to very cheap prices combined with very good performance and extremely low maintenance requirements.
Gary
brothers

Re: Is Plisson still in the hunt?

Postby fallingwickets » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:43 am

as far as i know, only buzz used one with regularity and he went dark. I think plisson is off the front pages because their pr dept went dark too...maybe buzz was their pr dept???? :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Postby Rufust445 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:01 am

Could be Plisson has lost market share to online sites like Italian Barber, Maggard's, etc.

Reminds me of a statement I read nearly 20 years ago that the World Wide Web is
deflationary, as people can find the best price on something in a matter of minutes.

That said, my two most recent online purchases, a part for my car and a Baili BD176
razor have been with Amazon, of all places. Regardless of the distaste I have for
Amazon, I held my nose and pulled the trigger because they had the best deals.
Rufust445

Postby brothers » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:38 pm

Supply and demand seems to be at play. When there were about 4 big name brands of brushes, supply was tight and certain brands and models were pretty hard to come by, which resulted in higher prices. No doubt Plisson and Simpson were very popular. It seems that nowadays the guys who buy brushes aren't hoping to find what they want from only those brands. The supply has expanded to include dozens of brands that didn't even exist just a few years ago. That, plus the fact that the knots of all kinds and descriptions are at our fingertips on the www.
Gary
brothers

Postby M6Classic » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:44 am

While he has very little to add that is new, Buzz does check in from time to time! I still use my enormous Plisson HMW set in plexi every day. If you ask me, it is the finest shaving brush ever created. Unfortunately, Plisson has been unable to source that quality badger since the early eighties...yes, more than thirty years ago...and what Plisson has on offer today is fine but not in any way exceptional; certainly not worth the prices charged. If you want to experience what I am telling, stop by Colonial Drug, now in Newton, Massachusetts, where you can compare a vintage Plisson to a contemporary brush. Sorry, Cathie and PJ are not offering the vintage brushes for sale. BEWARE! What Plisson now offers as High Mountain White badger is nothing like the vintage HMW badger; it is maybe the best badger one can buy today, but it is not as long, fine, resilient and brilliant white as it was last century.

Buzz
M6Classic

Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Postby CMur12 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:39 pm

Buzz! Good to see you out and about.

This thread wouldn't be complete without your input.

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!
CMur12

Postby blantyre » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:59 am

Probably a similar thing happened to brushes as with razors. The price of used fat boys and the like has declined now that there are endless boutique brands of razor to choose from. I still enjoy my old horn handled Plisson HMW 2 band. The handle has a few cracks (horn is no t a practical material for brush handles) but the size 12 knot is outstanding, just as good a Rooney finest IMO. As far as I know Plisson is still selling brushes, maybe more synthetics than anything else?
Rick
blantyre

Postby M6Classic » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:59 pm

blantyre wrote:Probably a similar thing happened to brushes as with razors. The price of used fat boys and the like has declined now that there are endless boutique brands of razor to choose from. I still enjoy my old horn handled Plisson HMW 2 band. The handle has a few cracks (horn is no t a practical material for brush handles) but the size 12 knot is outstanding, just as good a Rooney finest IMO. As far as I know Plisson is still selling brushes, maybe more synthetics than anything else?

Plisson does sell synthetics...who knows how many...but still sells many various badgers...who knows how many. The current Plissons are of very fine badger, just not as good as the vintage 1972-1980 HMW, but nothing ever has been or ever will be that good. As Murray points out, horn handles are crap; they have been on offer as a "natural" alternative to ivory that is both legal and affordable. Don't buy a horn handle. My favorite handle is of course the Plisson plexiglass, followed closely by the imitation ivory resin. Price is quite another matter. I don't think that Plissons are worth their cost, especially when compared to Twentyfirst Century Simpsons and Kents.

Buzz
M6Classic

Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Postby fallingwickets » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:54 am

Buzz to the rescue, and like Murray, its nice to see you out and about----thanks.

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Return to Shaving Brushes