SEMOGUE OWNER'S CLUB BOAR BRUSH

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Cicerosecundus

SEMOGUE OWNER'S CLUB BOAR BRUSH

Post by Cicerosecundus »

I am on my second Semogue Owner's Club boar bristle brush and feel compelled to let you know how superior it is with shaving soap. It is a specialty brush sold by Semogue (Portugal) that has premium boar bristle and a wood handle that is quite attractive and durable. This brush is quite superior with soap. Very few circulations in shaving soap will full load this brush to the max with a think foamy soap.

I have many other top quality (and pricey) English badger brushes and none of them soap up and release like this Owner's Club boar brush. My quality English brushes are very good with creme, but they are so dense that they do not release as well as this Owners Club Brush. None are even near as good with soap.

The reason that I am on my second is that I shave in the shower and got into a sloppy habit of dropping the brush on a stone floor. Eventually the bristle bundle broke free of the stuff that Semogue uses to hold the bristle bundle in the handle. I tried a few glues and nothing worked, so, I bought another. Don't drop this brush onto a hard floor on a consistent basis and your brush will outlast my former one, which I used for eight years!. Also you have a choice of ash or cherry wood for the handle. I personally prefer the darker and reddish cherry. The feel of this wood handle in your hand is very comfortable. Nothing about the wood finish deteriorated in eight years use in the shower.

When new it takes three to four weeks of using this brush every day for it to break in. Break is the splitting of the boar bristle ends into two or more branches. Before it breaks in, this brush is scratchy and does not soap up or release well. Grit your teeth and keep using it every day until one day - boom - it is no longer scratchy and soaps up fast until the brush can hold no more with little effort and releases the foam freely.

If you Google "Semogue Shaving Brushes" you will find a list of Semogue brushes and in that list are a number of dealers selling this brush. If you parse this list carefully you will find one company listing this brush at a very substantial discount for less than it would cost you directly from the factory or from any other US distributor.

Cicerosecundus
CMur12

Re: SEMOGUE OWNER'S CLUB BOAR BRUSH

Post by CMur12 »

Great review. Thanks!

I really like the Semogue 1305 boar already. I don't buy much in the way of shaving supplies anymore, but you have me tempted with this brush.

- Murray
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: SEMOGUE OWNER'S CLUB BOAR BRUSH

Post by jww »

CMur12 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:30 pm Great review. Thanks!

I really like the Semogue 1305 boar already. I don't buy much in the way of shaving supplies anymore, but you have me tempted with this brush.

- Murray
+1

My 1305 may be loosing much of it's lacquer coating on the handle, and shedding a few bristles here and there, but boy-oh-boy is it good with soap!

That and my Kent BK4 have been the only brushes I have used for some time ..... but I'm not about to reduce my brush stock any time soon ..... 8)
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?