Semogue Caravela Mistura in Taj Resin

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Re: Semogue Caravela Mistura in Taj Resin

Post by TRBeck » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:00 pm

This brush continues to impress after almost 4 weeks of daily use. It gins up incredible lather from soaps, it holds a huge volume of lather, it gives a nice scrub without scritch, and it came in at 60 bucks. The shape and size of the bloom is lovely and classic. I did a shave with the smallest of my synthetics a couple of days ago and found the experience a bit lacking (no feel from the brush). While the lather came together easily, I didn't enjoy the process of building it on my face nearly as much. I certainly do like the larger synthetics generally, but they still don't feel like natural hair.

If you are fond of the softer versions of Simpson Best hair or Shavemac Finest, I think the Semogue Mistura is an unbelievable performer and a world-class value. If you like less scrubby badger, this may not be for you. I must emphasize, though, that the brush is not a lather hog and is not scritchy at all after the first shave or two.

I bought a backup with a discount code from Phil and will use this Semogue daily for the foreseeable future.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau

Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:12 am

I just made up a brush using a mixed knot, 70% 2 band badger and 30% boar. I bought the knot from Maggard's and it's 24mm and nice and dense. I'm a big boar fan they're my favorite brush but this brush has a distinct feel to it.

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:13 am

I've been wondering about that knot, Oscar. Almost ordered one this week but I haven't read enough reviews. I like boar, but I want to make sure the knot avoids the scritch of some lesser (read: not Omega or Semogue) boars.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau

Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:41 am

My first impression of this knot is positive but I'll admit to being a boar fan, they're my favorite brushes. I'd describe the feel as a refined coarseness. It's not prickly in the least. My only regret is putting it in a wood handle (bloodwood).

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:06 am

Refined coarseness is a great description of good boar knots. Sounds like a winner. Maybe soon I can add one to an order.

The handle looks great. What did you coat it with?
Regards,
Tim

Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:39 am

Many coats of tung oil. There's 8 coats on this one.

brothers

Post by brothers » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:28 pm

I have no comment on the brush head, and will leave it to those who know. However, the handle is eye candy on the highest level. Nothing short of a work of art.
Gary

SOTD 99%: 12 soaps & creams, SilkSmoke synthetic, General V2 by Colonial razors, Kai & Schick, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444 asb

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:53 pm

Oscar, do you mind telling me which size knot you got and what loft you set it at? I'm eyeing the 24mm and 26mm.
Regards,
Tim

blantyre

Post by blantyre » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:44 pm

I’ve been using the ash handle version of this brush for several days now. Very impressive performance, it seems as if this really does capture the best features of badger and boar without any of the downsides of either one. Not inexpensive but still good value IMO.
Rick