Shavemac horn handle XXL Silvertip....

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Robert G.

Post by Robert G. »

Very good initial review Joel. Do you know if it's possible to have the crown of the brush be contoured more flat, instead of the rounded "light bulb" type crown? I also note the bristles appear to be set deeper inside the handle as one cannot really see the base of the bristles past the dark band.

Interestingly, Shavemac states that these hairs are taken from the back of the badger. If these hairs are indeed the same hairs used by Simpson and Plisson in their high end brushes, I can't see why anyone would knowingly pay hundreds more just for the name, unless they like the genuine horn handles of the Plisson. I was in the market for a Polo 12 Super, but am sure glad I decided to hold off for awhile.

Regards,
Robert
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Joel, great review. I have been eyeing those brushes for over six months. I look forward to your future updates. Gorgeous brush!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Joel, A fine review, very balanced, and, as always, excellent photos. Both your text, and your pictures simply reinforced what I'd already concluded from Bob's posts and photo on Wetshavers. Namely, that however much I may be surprised by the fact, these suckers are (IMO) undoubtedly genuine silvertip. It's rather obvious that they are, once one sees the photos. Very impressive looking brushes, to be sure. I've looked at these things a number of times on the Shavemac website, but I never entirely trust company website photos. It took Bob's and yours to convince me. You're quite right in that some of these might be right up my alley, and I'm seriously considering it. The apparent density of the bristle knot is especially appealing. I've got my eye on a slightly different, but similiar model. I'm kind of waiting to see what Charles comes up with though, as well as another possibility in the wind out there. The amount of time that I'll wait, at this point, is however, limited. Like Robert, I was seriously considering a Polo ( a #10 in my case ), but, as you pointed out, the price differential is so great, it's hard to justify now that I'm sure these Shavemacs are utterly top shelf. Thanks again for the speedy review of these most interesting brushes ( see, I'm NOT a hopeless anglophile, only mildly ). Regards, Gordon
honkdonker

Post by honkdonker »

Joel, thanks for the review. I am with Gordon on this one. I believe that the Shavemacs may be the best value out there for a "true" silvertip.

There are a lot of badgers out there, and there is no way in heck that Simpsons or Plisson has all the silvertip hair. But, they sure want us to believe that, sorta like Gilette wants us to think their blades are the only option.

Gordon, if you are selling any of your brushes, I call first dibs! :)

thanks.
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

Joel,

As usual an excellent review combined with awesome photos based on which I have a question, could you please provide me with the handle lengths of the two subject brushes? Thank you.

John
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Back from Gotham & just noticed Joels' great review. The thing that strikes me are the white tips. His description almost sounds like the Manchurian reviews we have all read. I too will see what Charles has coming but Joel you have gotten my brain humming!
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Shavemac Update?

Post by rtaylor61 »

Joel,
How about an update on your Shavemac experience? As cheap as I am, you've got me interested in this brush.

Randy
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

Joel,

Is the Shavemac bristle packed in manner more like the Simpson's Chubby 3? I guess that I am referring to the tightness/compactness of the knot. You've got me tempted to buy one as the price seems too good to be true for the brush you described.

John
John V

Benjamin Franklin
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Joel,
XXL Horn ST must be beginning its travels from Germany. I have a feeling it is quite cold in that airplane belly-I will warm it up once it arrives!

Max
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Does anyone know the source of Shavemac's brushes ? They look very similar to Muhle Pinsel brushes and Pinsel has a large OEM program (similar to Vulfix). Pinsel is a German producer too.

Chris
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Joel:

What is your source of this info ? Do you mean that Shavemac has it's own production facility ? Are these handmade products ? The Pinsel products are strikingly similar and even use similar nomenclature, ie XL, XXL, etc And pricing is nearly the same.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Shavemac is quite emphatic that they make their own brushes. I know that they appeare superfically similiar to the Muehle Pinsels, but both Bob's and Joel's descriptions and photos make it clear that it's a very different critter. Muehle Pinsel does not make brushes with bristle anything like what they describe, at least as far as I know. As amazing as it still seems to me, these Shavemac numbers seem to be genuine silvertip. Check out the photos. Regards, Gordon
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Gordon et al:

I am amazed that with the amassed knowledge of various manufacturers on these forums I have not seen/heard more about this company. If these brushes are truly handmade and of genuine 100% silvertip hair then they have to be the best deal in the business (based on the website prices). Also, given the expense of labor in Germany it seems almost unattainable economically to make these by hand unless they're using immigrant workers of some sort at substandard labor rates. Germany has very high labor rates relative to W Europe as a whole.

I've seen this website before primarily as one of the few e-tailer's of Tabac shave soap, but I've never taken their brush offering seriously. I've always assumed they were machine made or of substandard hair or something. So what all of you are telling me is no, these brushes are every bit as high quality as Simpson, Plisson, Vulfix, etc. Correct ? I wonder why some of the more prominent retailers here in the US have not tried to import them. Anyone know how old the company is ?

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, I know, I passed over their web sight for pretty much the same reasons that you did. Although the brushes looked good, I don't really trust company's own web site photos, and I though "...yeah well, they're probably okay...but German, probably real soft bristle...might be machine made...whatever...", and dismissed them. It wasn't until Bob's description and photo on Wetshavers, that I began to take notice. Bob's very familiar with high quality brushes, and I asked him a bunch of questions, and the more he wrote, the more I couldn't believe what I was reading, and then he posted a photo, and that did it for me. Then, Joel posted here, saying the same sorts of things, and with several more excellent photos. There was just no blowing it off, regardless of how surprised I was. I've not personally seen one of these brushes, and I know nothing about the history of the company, but, yeah, it would seem that they're the best deal going in terms of what one gets for one's money. How do they do it? Well, I'm not sure, but here's one thought. I do know for certain that the mark-up on genuine silvertip brushes is immense. Yes, the top quality bristle is in limited supply, but the truth is that Simpson or Plisson COULD sell their top end brushes for 1/4 the price that they do, and still make a profit. Perhaps the Shavemac folks, lacking the reputation of those firms, is willing to accept a lower profit margin? Well, that's one possibility anyway. Regards, Gordon
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Well okay then. I'll go buy one and check it out for myself. Thank you everyone for the insight. THIS is why this board exists and why I participate. I sure hope the group can stay focused and not stray in to issues that really are not of concern to the consumers of wetshaving products.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, By all means! Get one and check it out. I count on you for this sort of thing, lacking the resources to always be able to immediately satisfy my curiosity or my acquistativeness. Not that I doubt for a moment the information in either Bob's or Joel's reports, but it would be interesting to get yet another informed take on these most interesting brushes. Regards, Gordon
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Look at the other thread please......

Those Shavemacs are the best deal one can get imo; i've got two of them in silvertip, one with 26 mm knot and one with 30 mm knot;
my oh my, you guys know how many shaving brushes i have collected the last two years: Simpsons. Plisson, Vulfix, Omega;
and i can say you this: the extremely densely packed, doom shaped bristle form and very white coloured tips of these Shavemacs are superbe!!!!!!
They are stiff, but soft; not as soft as my Kents for instance, but soft; water holding capsacity is superbe, lather building capacity absolutely top; i can "beat the hell out of these two silvertip beauties" but they keep there very attractive form; this is really a brush to abuse if you like, it doesn't care at all......
Simpsons and Plisson are way overpriced imo........boy oh boy...
Get yourself a Shavemac!!!!! (and then to think about the fact that i've been lurking around these brushes for about two years or so..... but now i can at least compare them "in vivo"with my other brushes, and that's a great advantage....)

Peter
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

Uncle :!: I gave up and ordered one this A.M. I have to avioid this thread lest I order another with a different handle. I am anxious to compare this brush to my Vulfix and Simpson brushes. Will let you know.

John
John V

Benjamin Franklin
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I decided to go with the Large Silvertip with the white/nickel handle vs the XXL. I just don't need that much brush. However, I am excited for it to arrive. I should have ordered sooner!

Randy
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

How would you guys compare these Shavemacs to the Saville Row's in the "Tortoise Hog" thread? Im curious to see how you think they would stack up.