Shavemac XXL Silvertip vs. Vulfix 41

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
marsom

Shavemac XXL Silvertip vs. Vulfix 41

Post by marsom »

Hi there I don't post much on this forum, but I have been learning much from this forum by keeping up with the different postings and such.

Joel, I sent you an email yesterday inquiring about your new Shavemac brush and you stated that you sold your 41. I too am heavily considering a Shavemac, but I am a bit torn between the that and the 41.

Now that you have had a bit more experience with the Shavemac, what do you like about it that the 41 didn't offer. In your review, you stated that the 41 is easier to lather and distribute larger amounts of cream. I'm a fairly experienced brush user, so I know that the differences between these two brushes in terms of performance are very subjective and pretty much comparable, but I'm just curious to get your take on the brush now that you've probably become more accustomed to the brush's characteristics.

I look forward to talking to the rest of you guys soon in the near future. Thanks.

Marsom
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

I too look forward to an update.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Marsim ( Marsom ), Delighted to see you over here as well. I too will be interested in Joel's response to your post, but I think we'll have to wait a few days. I believe he is in KC until mid-week sometime. Regards, Gordon
marsom

Post by marsom »

Hi Gordon, yeah, I know the user name is different than what you're used to. My real name is Marion. I always use slightly different user names for things like this. No particular reason. In any event, thanks for the welcome. What do you think about these Shavemac brushes? They really do look like great brushes. I really am thinking about getting one. The quality looks on par with the upper range Simpsons and Plissons to me. I love my PJ3, but you know how it goes, always looking for something new to keep the brain stimulated.

Also, the Gillette is really working great for me. I was actually able to fix it by bending one end of it back a bit allowing the Silo doors to shut evenly. It's as good as new and really looks new. One of the best DE's I've ever used. I found another one at a resale shop today. Great razors. Take Care.

Marion
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Marson;

I thought I would jump in here because I recently acquired one of the big Shavemacs (the same one Joel has) and have been using it along with a Vulfix 377. It's not exactly the same comparison with the Vulfix 41, but there might be some similarities. I have found the Shavemac to be a great brush, although definitely stiffer than other silvertips I have. After using it for a couple of weeks, it has loosened up a bit, but is still not as flexible as the Vulfix, and not nearly as soft as the Kent. The Shavemac easily works up a ton of lather, and the biggest difference I find is that I can't work in on my face the same way I can with the Vulfix or Kent; the bristles on those will spread and I can move them around fairly easily. With the Shavemac, it's pretty much the traditional painting motion, up and down and sideways. As Joel also mentioned, it's not bad, just different. I think the Vulfix 41 is a much bigger brush than the Shavemac, since mine is pretty close to the size of the 377, so I would guess that the Vulfix 41 would make a lot more lather as well as the difference in handling the brush. I personally don't want a brush that big (had a BK12 and it was just too big for me), but as with all Vulfix brushes it would be an excellent brush. Based on pictures and descriptions, the consensus seems to be that the Shavemac is probably a "true" silvertip, whatever that is, at least in the opinion of those knowledgeable individuals such as Gordon. Having never held one, I can't really tell. Except that it is very different from the Vulfix 377, Kent BK8, and the PJ2 I have.

Hope this info is useful.

BobS
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Marsim, I'm hijacking this thread-saw your post on another site. I live in a cold winter climate & use the Skin Food during those months but once I see a flower bloom Harris' Aftershave Milk becomes a close friend. Great product especially if one lives in your part of the woods. Max
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Marion, Bob pretty well covered the bases, and it was his original post on Wetshavers that got us all looking more closely at the top line Shavemac brushes. His description of the 'stiffness' of the bristle ( as well as his and Joel's photos ) is consistant with genuine silvertip. The Simpson Super Chubbys and Polos, as well as the Plisson Whites, share this characteristic. He said it all when he said the Shavemac is "very different" from his Kent BK8, Vulfix 377 Super, and Simpson PJ2 Super. All three of these are top shelf 'Super/Best' type brushes. Bob doesn't seem to find the bristle tip on the Shavemac quite as soft as Joel does, but both their descriptions leave no doubt in my mind that, as much as it surprised me, these Shavemacs are the real deal. Now, whether you, personally. would like this style bristle, is another question. Regards, Gordon
marsom

Post by marsom »

Hi there fellows, I think I'll give the skin food and aftershave milk a shot to see which one suits me the best.

Gordon, I think you're right in the fact that these brushes do meet all the requirments of what True Silvertip is. My PJ3 was pretty stiff when I got it and still is, but the bristles look a bit different than say the Chubby 3 or high end Polos. Doesn't really matter to me, but the PJ3 really look like Best/Super range brushes, only quite a bit stiffer and densely packed than the Vulfix or Kents. I'm still not sure whether I want a Vulfix or a Shavemac. Good day.

Marsom
Striveforsmooth

Post by Striveforsmooth »

you guys are killin' me! I was sure I wanted to try the shavemac. I have one of the high end AOS brushes, and while it's fine, I suspect it's not as good as many others at much better prices.

Just bought a very small simpsons best badger for my brother, and while I'm sure I was overpaying at about 40 bucks -- this brush is pretty small, but I've no idea of its actual size -- I tried it and love the slightly stiffer feel. Was sure that for my next, I'd want the shavemac. After reading all the above I'm as unsure as Marsom. At least as unsure as he was when he posted last. Any developments since?
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Hi Joel;

Actually, maybe my descriptions were not as good as yours. I don't really remember how big the Vulfix 41 was, probably the Shavemac is as big or bigger. It just is closer in size to the Vulfix 377 I have now than the other two I mentioned, and it is bigger than the 377. The bristles are less flexible than the other brushes, particularly the Kent BK8 which is very soft, but the Shavemac tips are soft; not scratchy at all. It is possible to spread the bristles, but again just not as easy as the other brushes. You are right, it does give the face a good scrubbing due to the size and stiffness of the bristles. I can't compare it to a Plisson, never saw one, but the Shavemac is much different from the PJ2; it's much stiffer. I agree that the Shavemac is a great brush.

BobS
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

Per the Shavemac website their XXL Silver Tip brushes measure anywhere from 4.8" to 5.2" with the horn handled one being right in the middle at 5.0". The Vulfix #41 measures in at 105mm or 4.13" which agrees with the one I own so there can be up to an inch difference, at least in height.

John
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Also, according to the Shavemac and Classic Shaving sites; the Vulfix 377 has a 26mm knot, the Shavemac mock horn handle silvertip is 28mm., and the Vulfix 41 is 30mm. This puts the Shavemac squarely between the two Vulfixs in size, Of course, the consensus seems to be that the Shavemac silvertip is more densely packed. Regards, Gordon
marsom

Post by marsom »

Joel, I was just curious on how you felt about your new brush and how you were coming along with it. What I meant was that many experienced brush users have stated to me that they are able to get comparable results with most brushes within the same range so, at times it can be difficult to talk about major differences in brushes regarding the overall outcome of the shave. I know what I like in a brush as I have been using them for substantial amount of time, but I was curious about these new brushes that I have never see or handled up close. Anyhow, glad to hear you're happy with yours and I will consider buying one judging by the quality of your pictures.

Also, I know about the boiling water here regarding the Rooney brush debates and thread locking. Remarks have been made about a member not posting much and not identifying himself. Just wanted to let you all know that I am a new member and do not post all that often. I do read most of the postings that you guys share and learn alot from them. I hope that I am welcome to come around every now and again to share some of my opinions and ask some questions.

Marsom
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Marsom,

You are most certainly welcome here. I know you came in at a really ODD time for this forum. but dont' worry about it. This is by far one of the best groups of decent people you will find online.
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

That shavemac brush does look nice.....
Makes me wonder....sometimes when I shave (especially with the straight) I reach for my cheap boar bristle brush, simply because I like the stiffer bristles and it feels like it does a better job of picking the beard up than my vulfix. On the other hand I feel the vulfix makes a FAR more luxurious lather, the lather I get from the boar is more "sudsy" unless I take a lot longer lathering it.
I wonder if this shavemac brush might be truly the best of both worlds...stiff enough for my wire brush like beard (which likes to lie completely flat, unfortunately) while at the same time creating luxurious lather.....
As for the whole Rooney debate, what a mess.
I am now definitely thinking about one of those shavemac brushes (I don't even NEED a brush...my little vulfix does fine)
John P
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, Interesting that you should mention that. It sort of goes along with one of my pet notions regarding the desireability of genuine ( or if you prefer, upland ) silvertip bristle. Generally, in the Victorian and Edwardian Eras barbers, even the most upper crust barbers, used boar bristle brushes in their shops. They had this belief that the stiff bristle was desirable for 'lifting' the whiskers, and generally beating the hell out of them, prior to the shave. Many European barbers have this belief to this day. Problem was, as you know, even the best boar brushes didn't hold water very well, and couldn't create the great lather that badger brushes could. BUT, there appeared, this special variety of badger bristle, that although it held water at least as well as other badger hair, was also much stiffer. Voila! The best of both worlds, and hence, this type of bristle became highly sought after ( didn't hurt that it was so striking looking either ). At least, that's my little theory. Haven't found any hard historical type proof, but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened something like that. Regards, Gordon
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

I don't know, Gordon, but it sounds feasible to me.
John P
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

I have been lurking around some time regarding this thread; thought to jump in now; recently i purchased two shavemac brushes: on the web site they are #436 XL size and # 167 XXL size;

My conclusion: these are ABSOLUTELY STUNNING SHAVING BRUSHES...

Compared to Simpsons , Plisson and Vulfix the Shavemac brushes are superbe: very densely packed, relatively stiff (because of the doom shaped form and the densely packaging perhaps??) yet remarkebly soft on the skin; they have great water absorbing capacity and build a huge perfect lather; for the price they CANNOT BE BEATEN by neither the upper Simpsons nor the HMW Plissons; if it were not for my obessive trait to collect shaving brushes (oh my God, those Rooneys are yet to come...sigh...) then i would certainly buy a Shavemac brush; imo there is no shaving brush on the whole internet with a better price/quality than those Shasemac brushes; another way to say that those Simpsons and Plissons are way overpriced.........

A deep bow for Shavemac......

Peter
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Peter,

How does the density of the brush compare to a simpson brush? Which of your high end brushes does this most compare to?
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Peter,

The Shavemacs can best be compared to the Chubby 3 and Polo 12 or to the Plisson HMW #20; but, they're even more densely packed with bristles; the tips are softer than those of the Chubby and Polo, and about as stiff as those of the Plisson HMW.

Peter