Simpson's T3 vs T4?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
kaptain_zero

Simpson's T3 vs T4?

Post by kaptain_zero »

Does anyone here have both? I'm waffling on which I should purchase next.... According to Em's measurements, there is a marked difference in loft... I'm concerned that the descriptions I've read about the T3 which sounds like it should be right up my alley may not be true of the T4, yet the slightly larger knot and handle appeal to me.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Christian, I've owned both the T3 and the T4. The comparison is a bit curious, not quite 'straight forward', as it were. The knot sizes of the these two are not really very different, not in any significent practical way. But, the T4 definately 'feels' like a noticeably larger brush. You're right, the loft is definately greater, and the handle on the T4 is QUITE substantial. I have reasonably good sized hands, and I rather like a bit beefy type handle, but that T4 was a bit much for me. In fact, that is the major reason that I traded it; it was just a little too large/bulky for my taste. But, of course, shavers preferences vary. Some guys seem quite comfortable with giants like the Shavemac XXL or Simpson Polo #12. But for me, of the two, the T3 was a more comfortable, well balanced size and configuration. Unquestionably, this whole thing is quite devilish for shavers who never get to actually see any of these brushes before they buy.
Regards,
Gordon
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Christian, At 6'5 with large hands I feel quite comfortable witht the T4 handle but I concur with Gordon's reasoning on the T3 handle being a perfect fit for his needs. Either will serve you well with the T4 as a cream brush and the T3 as a great all around cream & soap brush. Chris M. has a new T4 and maybe he will chime as well about these handles.

Max
e5f

Post by e5f »

bernards66 wrote:Christian, I've owned both the T3 and the T4. The comparison is a bit curious, not quite 'straight forward', as it were. The knot sizes of the these two are not really very different, not in any significent practical way. But, the T4 definately 'feels' like a noticeably larger brush. You're right, the loft is definately greater, and the handle on the T4 is QUITE substantial. I have reasonably good sized hands, and I rather like a bit beefy type handle, but that T4 was a bit much for me. In fact, that is the major reason that I traded it; it was just a little too large/bulky for my taste. But, of course, shavers preferences vary. Some guys seem quite comfortable with giants like the Shavemac XXL or Simpson Polo #12. But for me, of the two, the T3 was a more comfortable, well balanced size and configuration. Unquestionably, this whole thing is quite devilish for shavers who never get to actually see any of these brushes before they buy.
Regards,
Gordon
Oh come on Gordon, the Simpson Polo 12 IS NOT THAT BIG!!!!!!!!!

(Maybe you have small hands :D :D :D :D )

Thanks,
Merlyn
Facts Destroy Liberalism
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Oh, Merlyn, they're gigantic, and you know it. You just love those Big Daddy brushes, that's all. Which Plisson was it that you got again? Oh yes, the #20 ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Well, so far it sounds like the T 3 is the way to go for me. I don't enjoy overly large brushes, my Savile Row 3326 is about as big a brush as I care to swing and I'm leary of that increase in loft with the T4 as that makes it look like a creamer rather than a soaper... :D It is the lack of significant blooming together with the unique tulip shaped handle that I find so appealing. Now, if the Fifty series brushes had been available with Super hair, I might have gone that route.... but no, the Tulip truly looks like it's worth striving for.

Chris Moss, if you are reading this... your input would be greatly appreciated as I find your tastes in shaving gear seems to mirror my own.

As for the Duke 3 I just picked up..... a great little brush, far more capable than I first imagined though it did take me a while to master the little critter. Still, as DrP predicted... I can't ignore the call of the Tulip.... or perhaps considering inflation (Victor Borge's inflationary language skit) I should say "The Threelip".

Regards

Christian
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

A secondary question..... is anyone familiar with "The Fifty Series"? While available only with Best hair ( I do like my Duke 3 in best), it does have a nice handle and I've not seen it mentioned much if at all, but the fact that it's available in 5 sizes had piqued my interest as I quietly wear down my new Simpson catalog. (Drats..... I seem to have caught a full blown case of SBAD) :shock:

Regards

Christian
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Christian, Yes, it sounds like SBAD alright. Good luck. Regarding the Fifties series, well, I have seen a few of them. As I recall the lofts were greater then with the Dukes, so, they might feel a little different. But, unfortunately, I've never used one of them. It's funny, Simpson used to say that these were popular in North America and yet, I've only seen them very rarely.
Regards,
Gordon
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

The best badger of this biggest "59" from the Fifties series is of a high quality; although the loft is relatively large, it does have springyness and resiliency; it's the same quality best badger that Simpsons uses for the Chubby and the Polo in best. But the loft of this 59 is less densely filled than the loft of my CH3 and PL 12 hence it is more flexible.

Beautiful brush with a large handle; i haven't used it yet :wink:

Peter
Peter
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Thank ye, Peter. There you go. As you can see, the loft is more along the lines of the Persian Jars or Harvards, as oppossed to Chubbys or the two smaller Polos, so, it will be a bit more flexible then those latter two, or the Dukes.
Regards,
Gordon
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Thanks DrP..... I thought you were supposed to help me work through my addiction, not feed it?!?! :P

Gorgious brush though... possibly a touch too long a loft for my taste, but the handle goes a long way to make up for it.....<sigh>. Now I have 2 brushes I just have to have.

By the way, how large is the 59 knot?

Regards

Christian