Trumper fined for ivory handles

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Trumper fined for ivory handles

Post by Bargepole »

Trumper were fined £10,000 this week for selling ivory-handled shaving brushes, which are made from 19th century ivory billiard-balls, because they didn’t have a licence; some twazzock from the International Fund for Animal Welfare said this will “serve as a warning”. To whom? About what? Save The Billiard Balls?

Cheaper to plead guilty and cough up than to fight the idiots, I suppose.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Michael, 10,000GBP for old billiard balls??! That's demented! They should have fought it. And I kinda had a hankering for one of those brushes too ( not that I could reasonably afford it, you understand ). That really is ridiculous.
Regards,
Gordon
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

There will also be a substantial fine, I hope, levied by the moderators on the first person to make the "load of old balls" joke.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

Bargepole wrote:There will also be a substantial fine, I hope, levied by the moderators on the first person to make the "load of old balls" joke.
Well I guess that qualifies you for the fine!
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
Tye
Watch this space!

Re: Trumper fined for ivory handles

Post by Tye »

Bargepole wrote:Trumper were fined £10,000 this week for selling ivory-handled shaving brushes, which are made from 19th century ivory billiard-balls, because they didn’t have a licence; some twazzock from the International Fund for Animal Welfare said this will “serve as a warning”. To whom? About what? Save The Billiard Balls?

Cheaper to plead guilty and cough up than to fight the idiots, I suppose.
As President of the SIBB (Save the Ivory Billard Balls), I applaud this bold move by the IFAW. How dare Trumper's use 19th century ivory for brush handles. They should have taken the ivory to a cloner who could have made clones and regrew the elephants.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Michael, Your fine, levied by the moderators, for "shockingly poor taste" will be sent out forthwith ( and don't think you can hide from us on that remote Greek island, either ). Hopefully, this won't be necessary again, in future....harrumph!
Regards,
Gordon
slcsteve

Post by slcsteve »

Let's see if I understand this:

It's not illegal to own 19th century (pre-ban) ivory billiard balls but if you change the shape of the ball, making a shaving brush handle or whatever, the same 19th century billiard ball/shaving brush is now illegal. Does it suddenly become an illegal item by virtue of it being transformed or does it become illegal when offered for sale by Trumper's (or anyone else for that matter). It's still pre-ban ivory which should be legal. :bull
Steve

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europe vincendarum
olkev

Post by olkev »

No wonder they had a price increase . . .
Ol' Kev
If the girls don't think you're handsome, at least let 'em think you're handy . . . - Red Green

Gold Gillette Tech
pre/post '48 Gold Aristocrats (2)
1970 Gold Gillette Super Adjustable
scarface911

Post by scarface911 »

slcsteve wrote:Let's see if I understand this:

It's not illegal to own 19th century (pre-ban) ivory billiard balls but if you change the shape of the ball, making a shaving brush handle or whatever, the same 19th century billiard ball/shaving brush is now illegal. Does it suddenly become an illegal item by virtue of it being transformed or does it become illegal when offered for sale by Trumper's (or anyone else for that matter). It's still pre-ban ivory which should be legal. :bull
I believe some one over at B& B was talking about this and stated that it's legal to own ivory but its illegal to offer it for sale.
din

Post by din »

scarface911 wrote:
slcsteve wrote:Let's see if I understand this:

I believe some one over at B& B was talking about this and stated that it's legal to own ivory but its illegal to offer it for sale.
new from trumper's, limited edition lilac-rose shave cream.
comes gift wrapped for your loved one, onlt $500.
free shave brush with purchase.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Rajevee, Perhaps, but, if that is the case, did they prosecute the persons who sold the billiard balls to Trumpers ( or Simpson )? Not as far as I know. Apparently, the whole thing hinges on some sort of mysterious "license" that one must, apparantly have, to sell even old ivory. Or so it would seem. I think the whole thing is absurd, and to levy a fine that hugh when they must know that it is, indeed, old ivory, is outrageous.
Regards,
Gordon
cigar-&-Shave

Post by cigar-&-Shave »

I guess that Trumper’s is really behind the 8 ball on these ivory billiard ball brushes.
Good thing I was able to snag a prototype before they were put out of the business.
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

What's the fuzz?? In august i paid Trumpers GBP 32000,- for three ancient billiard ball brushes with a loft in super badger.....not even manchurian/finest or whatever.................:shock:

So don't pity GFT......
Peter
scarface911

Post by scarface911 »

bernards66 wrote:Rajevee, Perhaps, but, if that is the case, did they prosecute the persons who sold the billiard balls to Trumpers ( or Simpson )? Not as far as I know. Apparently, the whole thing hinges on some sort of mysterious "license" that one must, apparantly have, to sell even old ivory. Or so it would seem. I think the whole thing is absurd, and to levy a fine that hugh when they must know that it is, indeed, old ivory, is outrageous.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon, I am not sure behind the logic of all this either I just reiterated what I heard over at B&B.

In terms of licenses, a fellow at BB stated that when you buy ivory in a block form for example you get one license for that but then when you break that down and build other products out of it you might need individual licenses for those.

I don't understand the logic either but that's what I "heard" :D
scoop

Post by scoop »

The report in The Times (www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,29389-2420379.html), suggests the issues were not having the licence to sell, nor being able to prove the ivory was 'old'. Wish I knew hoe to post links properly!
stbdtack

Post by stbdtack »

"twazzock" -- what a wonderfully descriptive expression! Here we just call them "liberals" or "Democrats" ;-)
--Pat Thayer
Living well is the best revenge.
slcsteve

Post by slcsteve »

stbdtack wrote:"twazzock" -- what a wonderfully descriptive expression! Here we just call them "liberals" or "Democrats" ;-)

Who might "we" be? [-X
Steve

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europe vincendarum
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

I think the decision to pay the fine was a business decision. As stated above it was a paperwork error that resulted in the ivory becoming illegal. It is not like they were out poaching and cranking out brush handles in the back office on Curzan street.

I also find it odd that the source for the ivory didn't get prosecuted as well if it was truely blackmarket ivory trade. I think they went for the biggest headline and the deepest pockets.
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

drP wrote:What's the fuzz?? In august i paid Trumpers GBP 32000,- for three ancient billiard ball brushes with a loft in super badger.....not even manchurian/finest or whatever.................:shock:

So don't pity GFT......
Thirty two grand sterling? That's less than eleven grand each - what a deal!
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Ken

Post by Ken »

Peter,

I think you must have intended to write 3200, not 32000. Yes? Please say yes!

Ken