"Stiffer" brush suggestions.

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Sage

"Stiffer" brush suggestions.

Post by Sage »

I have only had two brushes since I had my eyes opened to the world of brushes, quality creams, etc. The first was the cheapest Vulfix pure badger I could find, and the second is an SR213. I like the SR213 a lot, but I wouldn't mind having a brush with a firmer feel (doesn't "bloom" as much).

I may not be describing what I am looking for very well. But I was thinking maybe a brush with a similar knot size, but maybe shorter bristles. Would that give the brush a firmer feel, where the bristles wouldn't give way as easily? Or, do I need to go to a pure badger instead of super badger?

If you can make any sense out of what I am saying, and can recommend a brush, I would appreciate it. Doubt I'll be getting another anytime soon, but you never know...

Thanks,
Andy
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Andy,

Two suggestions, both Shavemac brushes:

http://shavemac.com/index.php?lang=en&a ... &prod_id=4

http://shavemac.com/index.php?lang=en&a ... &prod_id=2

If you want to spend about the same as for your SR213 then go for the 177; if you want about the same dimensions as the SR213 then go for the 436; i have this brush myself and it is VERY densely packed with silvertip bristles: the bristles are stiff, compact, yet soft on your skin; compared to all my Simpsons, Vulfix's and Plisson it is an absolutely stunning top shelf brush; you won't be disappointed with this brush......

Peter
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Do you know or have a good idea which Shavemac would compare most with a Chubby 3 silvertip, Peter? I'm concerned mostly with the hair length and knot size and density. The handle height and overall height are secondary.

Dave T
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Dave,

This brush:

http://shavemac.com/index.php?lang=en&a ... &prod_id=6

looks most like the Chubby#3 in silvertip: knot diameter 30 mm, bristle lenght somewhat shorter; but, the doom shaped form of the bristles and the even more dense packaging make that i prefer the Shavemac; the bristles are somewhat lesser stiff than those of the Chubby #3 and therefore (?) also softer on the skin.

Peter
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Thanks, Peter. It's very appealing, and at less than a third of the price of a Chubby 3 silvertip, very tempting.

Dave t
zebo

Post by zebo »

Good question--I've been wondering the same, wishing the bristles (SR230) had more backbone, wondering if anybody reached around the handle and held the bristles so as to firm them up....

It's a great brush, but sometimes feels like I'm dragging a wet lathery clump of noodles across my face, rather than something firmer where I could scuff my beard against the grain and make it stand up...
Sage

Post by Sage »

zebo wrote:Good question--I've been wondering the same, wishing the bristles (SR230) had more backbone, wondering if anybody reached around the handle and held the bristles so as to firm them up....

It's a great brush, but sometimes feels like I'm dragging a wet lathery clump of noodles across my face, rather than something firmer where I could scuff my beard against the grain and make it stand up...
Exactly my thoughts. Seems like if maybe the bristles were shorter, they might not spread out as much. Or, maybe it's just that the bristles themselves are a little too soft, I don't know.

The Shavemacs seem promising, from what I hear. I just don't want to drop $100 and then find out it wasn't what I was looking for.
Sage

Post by Sage »

From what I am reading, the Shavemac sounds like what I am looking for. Now, the real issue, convincing my wife not to kill me if I get it...

Maybe I could talk my 5 year old daughter through ordering it for me online for Father's day...GENIUS!!!

Andy
blackgrass
Mandolin Twanger (sans drool)

Post by blackgrass »

One thing I have noticed.
I had a SR230 and now I have a SR223. The SR223 is the same knot size as the SR230 but the bristle length is 55mm compared to 58mm on the SR230. I think the shorter bristle length on the SR220 provides it with a little more stiffness over the SR230. The length of the hair might be one thing to consider when thinking about stiffness of the bristles.
Ben