Shavemyface - custom group brush!!

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

I love those ideas. I like the 26mm knot. I think that is perfect for everyone. I really like the customized handles. I might also be interested in a straight as well. I really like the handle of the straight in the pics that you posted.I like the iron wood and I would perfer either a nickel or silver bottom. The octagon sounds good also.

About how much would the straight sell for?

I really like the idea of personalization. Count me in.

BTW, once we settle on the the logistics, how long will it take him to produce these products?

J
Last edited by Johnnie on Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
Sage

Post by Sage »

I am deinitely in, and will go with the consensus of the group on the design. I actually like the brush in the picture quite well...

I like that desert ironwood (looks very rich), but I think a darker color would look better with the nickel base. The ironwood might look pretty good with a shiny silver base.

At any rate, count me in.

26mm knot is perfect.

Andy
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

The Desert Ironwood looks good BUT I am concerned about using a wood because of water. I would tend to a material other than wood.

My preference of knot size would be 28mm.

Paul.
A Peach looks good with lots of fuzz but man's no peach and never was. ~ Burma Shave
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

I'm interested in the brush. I'm not partial about the wood as long as it will hold up to being soaked in hot water day after day. I like the nickel base. I'd rather have a 28mm knot than a 26mm one. I haven't got into str8s yet, so I'm not interested in the handle.

Dave T
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

Joel,

A faux stone might work.

Paul.
A Peach looks good with lots of fuzz but man's no peach and never was. ~ Burma Shave
Enrico

Post by Enrico »

I too am interested in the brush only.
I like the idea of the darker wood, as long as it will hold up to constant use in hot water.
A 26mm knot is my preference.
It sure looks like a very interesting and unique quality product.

Steve
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

I don't know about anyone else but I vote for Lignum Vitae, ebony, or thuya. They are all great hardwoods and I think once sealed with a heavy oil or sealent would probably be waterproof.

Here is Thuya if anyone wants to see what it looks like. I like the burl pattern.

And since Lingum Vitae is a more uncommon wood. here are also a couple photos and a description.

Here are some characteristics of it from woodfinder.

DESCRIPTION: One of the hardest and heaviest woods (three times as hard as oak), lignum vitae is most commonly used for mallet heads, bearings and rollers. Because of its durability and natural lubricants, it is the preferred wood for propeller bushings and other underwater applications. The lignum vitae tree generally grows to a diameter of about 12", although historically, trees in the 18" - 30" range have been known.

Lignum vitae is reddish brown when freshly cut, with pale yellow sapwood. As it oxidizes, the color turns to a deep green, often with black details. The grain is highly interlocked, making it difficult to work with edge tools, but it machines well and takes a high polish. It is a remarkably good wood for turning. A similar species, known as Maracaibo lignum vitae (Bulnesia arboria), which grows in Venezuela and northern South America, is similar in properties and appearance and is sometimes substituted for genuine lignum vitae.
Last edited by clownjuggles on Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
p_man

Post by p_man »

I'd be worried about something breaking if I dropped a stone-handled brush - a tile, a toe or, worst of all, the brush.

Despite my newness here, I'd certainly be interested (although would need a really small font for my member number).

Doing this as a republic rather than a democracy is probably a good idea, Joel. Otherwise, you're going to end up managing way too many options....

Dave C
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Joel;

Great idea for a custom brush! I would agree with you about having an octagonal or similar shaped handle. After using the big horn-handle Shavemac, I have really begun to like the squared off handle. I would also vote for the desert iron-wood, it would make a spectacular handle. I have seen ebony wood handles, and they really don't look that much different from a black plastic.

BobS
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Oooh! Aaaaah!

Post by guenron »

Joel,
I prefer a 28mm knot, but would gladly acquiesce to 26mm. How about loft? 50? 55? I have seen desert ironwood and really like it. I also like rose wood. I would be happy with either. While the freshly milled lignum vitae looks fine, I am not sure I like the aged green and black.
I know I am a weenie, but I choose to pass on the str8. If I started using a str8 again, I would probably end up like poor old Vincent VanGogh. :)
Silver? Nickel? I'll go with the flow for the brush base.
Where do I send payment? Is it here yet? What's taking so long? Gee, you aren't very responsive... What's the holdup here? :D
Regards,
Ron
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

An additional path you might take, Joel, is to create a single design limited edition SMF brush, numbered and dated. Then, you'd do one each year. The proceeds would help support SMF year after year. That way, with one design, member/collectors would buy it regardless of size, shape, handle, etc. You'd get a an annual flow of sales and, I believe, more interest year after year. The personalized brush could be a separate, standard selection.

Dave T
illini1963

Post by illini1963 »

Count me in for both! I'd prefer a 28mm knot; just love those full-bodied, lush brushes. For the razor, I'd like it to be a 6/8. For everything else, I'm openminded.

Joel K
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

I'm in for both!
Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
And I watch 'em roll away again
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Joel, count me in. I actually like the first brush picture. I can live with 26 or 28 mm.
jdtx3302

Post by jdtx3302 »

I like a darker wood also, especially with the nickel bottom. I think the size of the shavemax xxl silvertip is a great size. I think it is a 28mm knot size.
Justin
Texas
PonyPlayer

Post by PonyPlayer »

I've been putting off purchasing a shavemac brush just so I can order the custom brush. I'd prefer the 28mm knot but if the group prefers the 26mm, then that is fine with me. I know that this group will come up with one fine looking brush.

Thanks.

Patrick
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Ron,

I hear ya. I think the lingum vitae was a nice wood I think if sealed it might not oxidize but I am going to go do some checking into it. See what my local mill knows. it is extremely dense though.

I did some checking on the water absorbancy issue. The density of ebony is pretty high in the 60 - 70 lbs./cu.ft. range it is very similar to Lignum Vitae wood which from my reference is 77-82 lbs./cu.ft. So most of these woods should be dense enough to withstand water. I would discount the Vitae as I just spoke to my exotic hardwoods dealer that I work with here in michigan and he said vitae you would have a one pound brush. It is practically as heavy as it is dense. Ebony apparently is an extremely dense and hard wood but not as heavy in practical applications So i would have to say my votes are Ebony and Thuya.
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
honkdonker

Post by honkdonker »

Joel: As you stated, it is going to be very difficult to please everyone on this subject. I would recommend that when it is all said and done, that Bernd there be at least 3 choices of brush, rather than just one choice. I say this as it IS $100 +- so it is a fair chunk of change, and people would probably feel better of getting a brush of their choice rather than one cookie cutter.

Thanks.
sean mac

Post by sean mac »

I feel so out of touch. Miss one chat session and this forum is off and running on some new idea. Man, can't a guy have a life and stay away from this place for an hour or two without the world turning upside down :oops:

Seriously, I am assuming that the idea for these items was hatched during the chat session last night. Wherever it came from, I can only say, "Brilliant!"

I would be in for the brush, but not the straight razor. Prior to reading these messages I never felt the need for more than one brush. Now my wife will have one more thing to get on my case about.

I like the ironwood. As far as the knot size, whatever the group decides would be okay with me.

As someone suggested, probably narrowing the brush down to several possibilities, with some sort of a vote on the alternatives, seems to be a reasonable way to make most of the gents happy.

Any ballpark ideas on cost?
mike

Post by mike »

26mm knot is ok. I would prefer Rosewood, but will purchase any brush agreed upon by the group. i agree with Joel---we should try to reach a agreement on the brush and stick with the 1 selection. This will keep costs down and make the brush somewhat unique.

Mike