New brush - SR212 - loving it

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Scotto

New brush - SR212 - loving it

Post by Scotto »

Interesting experience today. My first brush, an SR230, had shedding problems and was returned to QED. That was my first ever brush, and was largely chosen by reading lots of posts on this forum. It seemed like a big brush was the way to go. While it lathered great, it always felt unwieldy to me as I have a small face. In fact, the fully bloomed brush would reach from my sideburns to the corner of my mouth; this made it difficult to place the lather where I wanted it, especially around my mouth area.

After discussion with Charles, I replaced the SR230 with a smaller brush, the SR212 with a 24 mm knot. Wow - I love this thing. It produced as much (if not more) lather than the SR230, and was much easier to work around my face. The bristles also feel softer to me; not sure if the know size relates to hair density, etc.

In any case, I like the smaller brush, and wouldn't go back to a larger knot.

Now that I have done the brush comparison with the same cream (Taylors Lavender), it is time to try my new tub of QED lime soap....

-Scotto
Alex

Post by Alex »

Interesting to hear this, after reading so many posts about the virtues of 26, 28 and even 30mm brushes (although I know there is at least one enthusiastic supporter of the Kent BK4 here). I also prefer more of a medium-sized brush. I am now using a brush with a 25mm knot, and although it's great, I just can't imagine going any larger, and in fact my previous 24mm brush was perfectly adequate in terms of size (though I do notice an improvement with my new brush's super badger bristles as compared to the pure badger of my old brush). It's not like there's any shortage of lather being produced, so any more seems like overkill.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I talked to Charles about brushes and knot size, and one thing that came up in our conversation was that bigger is not always better. Based on the comments I see on this and other boads, it almost like you need a 30mm knot and you need to use your adjustable razor opened up to 9, or more if you can modify it. It's seems to be that it is almost a "macho" thing. What really matters is that you find what works best for you and allows you to get the shave you are looking for. I am anxiously waiting on my Shavemac, but in the meantime, my Tweezerman badger brush does a good job. It's all about finding which tools do the best job for you.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

I am 100% with you gentlemen, preaching to the choir here. My first upscale badger brush was a Vulfix #2236 from Classic: way too big, sloppy with lather. Charles straightened me out; now using the SR221 which, I think, has a 22mm knot. It's perfect: much easier to control, same great lather as larger brush, and I can put the lather where I want it. Bigger is not necessarily better. Best, John.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gentlemen, you are all quite correct, of course. Size of the brush, like the style of the bristle, is an individual preference, there is not a single 'best' for everyone. There have always been experianced gents on Wetshavers who favored more moderately sized brushes. I think that the 'bigger is better' attitude really came, originally, mainly from Charles Roberts, and students of his. They seemed to have this idea that really large, and very high end brushes were somehow almost necessary to effectively execute the RMWS proceedure. But, most of us do not lather or shave in quite that fashion. Personally, I've always preferred brushes in the sort of middle to middle-large range. For me, 26mm is about perfect, although 24mm is fine, and I can comfortably use some models up to 28mm ( depends on the style and the loft ). Anything larger is too big for me. There's only so much lather that one can actually use, and my 24mm Plisson churns up more then I can fully utilize. Regards, Gordon