Your IDEAL shaving brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

IDEAL shaving brush

Post by qed-usa »

Vince -

As I probably indicated, I spoke to the Managing Director of Rooney's a couple days ago. His goal is to have brushes here in time for Christmas gift-buying time. I take this to mean by November 1st. Don't take it as an absolute, but it's the goal.

Regards,
Charles
Q E D
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Awesome! Please keep us posted!
:::Vince:::
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

IDEAL shaving brush

Post by qed-usa »

Vince -

I will certainly post anything about Rooney's coming-to-the-U.S. I feel is significant.

Regards,
Charles
Q E D
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

IDEAL shaving brush

Post by qed-usa »

Todd -

Thanks for the nice words.

I started to write a long response, but then deleted it. It was getting off the main subject of this particular posting, which is the IDEAL shaving brush dimensions ... and the IDEAL handle shape.

Rooney has been making shaving brushes for a long, LONG time. Rooney will represent yet another choice for American Wet Shavers. For what I know of their production methods, it will be a superb choice for those chaps with an artist's heart and a love of things truly hand-crafted.

Regards,
Charles
Q E D
Pappy

Post by Pappy »

This seems to be an old topic and Charles may have lost interest by now, but I'll put in my two cents for whatever it's worth.

First of all, I generally agree with Vince's idea of the best brush size -- about 5 inches overall. My particular gripe is a handle that's too short and too thick to be held comfortably. I like a handle length of 2.75 inches or so, with the bristles around 2.25 inches. A 26mm knot in a quality brush is plenty big for my day to day use.

The SR213 (Vulfix 2236) is right on the money as far as size goes, but I'm not really crazy about the shape of the handle. To me, it looks too thick around the top -- the part that surrounds the knot. I can see myself banging that area all around the inside of my mug as I work up a lather.

The shape of the SR230 (Kent BK8) handle is more pleasing to my eye, but the handle is about 1/2 inch too short. Still, of the brushes that I've seen, it probably comes closest to my ideal.

Just another old man's opinion....
Pappy

Post by Pappy »

Right you are, Joel! Except for the knot size, that shavemac is right on the money. And I really like the size and shape of the horn handle. Thanks for drawing it to my attention.

Pappy