What did I do wrong?.......new brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

What did I do wrong?.......new brush

Post by fallingwickets »

Got my new Kent and gave it its first run. I used the Tabac soap. Lots of bubbles, no real lather.

I started off by soaking the brush in water, holding it upside down to let off the excess water then I twirled it around the soap bowl until there was a slight lather going and then moved onto lathering in my bowl. Not much going on, so I did another twirl in the soap and tried again. When I put the brush to my face it was as though nothing was happening........like the soap on the brush didn't want to leave its new home.

For starters, I've never used such a big brush. My Floris is a dwarf compared to the T12. Secondly, I was all gentle instead of the usual hard pressing I do into the soap and then the aggressive manner I usually lather my face.

The brush also lost a fair amount of bristles. Between strokes of the razor I was picking them off my face, and don't laugh, out of my mouth. I assume though that this should come to an end fairly quickly.

So my question to you all with far greater experience in these matters than I have is: What can I do to improve on this first run.

Clive
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

You're doing the right thing. Brush is wet, lather it briskly on the soap, then lather it up in the bowl. Should work. Try flicking the brush a bit so not quite so much water in it. As you lather, pump it somewhat. There's a video of lathering that I'm sure you've seen. Don't have the link at hand, but it's in the post linked to below.
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

It sounds like you have too much water in the brush. Shake it about 2 times. Apply pressure to brush when you swirl to load the brush with soap. Practice will make perfect.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

A big brush like this soaks up more soap for itself, so you have to use more than you do with a smaller brush.
(Like old instructions for making tea, that say so many spoonfuls "and one for the pot"). :)
Goosemeplease

Post by Goosemeplease »

Clive
When I load my brushes I know I have enough soap when the brush starts to drag a little in the tub, Tabac is a very hard soap, I would guess you would need a good 15-20 swips to load that big brush up.
The good news is you can do it again tommorow!
Jim
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

The good news is you can do it again tommorow!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:lol: Ala Forrest Gump, I'm standing in front of the mirror: Grow whiskers, grow!

Gentlemen,

Thank you all very much for the advice you have taken the time to share. I will surely flick more and pump more tomorrow. On the topic of pumping, I was so scared to 'hurt' the brush that I didn't dare. Tomorrow, I get my revenge!

Clive
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

This might be helpful. I find that with harder soaps, Crabtree and Evelyn springs to mind, that if I pour some hot water on them and let them sit for a minute it's easier to work up a lather. You might want to try that as well.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I followed all the advice that you gentlemen gave me and today was a LOT better. I gave it a good shake after drowning it in the basin and used more pressure on the soap and in my lather bowl than I did yesterday. I got a really good lather going and the the shave was quite decent.

Again, many thanks.

Clive
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Clive, when I get a new brush I always give it a few lathers ahead of time, before I shave, to get rid of the loose bristles and to help remove the stink.

Another thing, if you have too much water after you have lathered, press the brush against your face a bit over the sink and it will squeeze the water out. Continue lathering your face and it should firm up nicely.
Richard
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Richard your new avatar is freakin' me out man....
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I was going to comment too, but as a newbie felt it out of place to say anything :lol: :lol:
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

blueasajewel wrote:Richard your new avatar is freakin' me out man....
I was going to comment too, but as a newbie felt it out of place to say anything Laughing Laughing
Due to its unpopularity I changed my avatar!

You guys crack me up. :lol: :lol:
Richard
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Damn that looks good...much better thank you.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Ditto on the Ravi sentiment
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

mmmm....Guinness =P~
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
paddy

Post by paddy »

you are not using enough soap

paddy