Variable Loft Brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Kalypso
Poster of Easy Virtue

From now on..........

Post by Kalypso »

This should be named the ShaveMoss. You need to start your own line of items & set up an Ebay store.
"I want my money back for this suit. You're nancy-boy cream leaked all over the pockets -- Suits ruined.".....Kenny Banya

Some call me Doug.....

http://www.modelplace.com/?op=member&id=3448
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

Peter, are there any features on your Shavalin brush that would lend themselves to Chris' application? If I recall it only took somewhere around three turns to complete the extrusion cycle.

Chris, awesome idea and work on your part!
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

jvan wrote:Peter, are there any features on your Shavalin brush that would lend themselves to Chris' application? If I recall it only took somewhere around three turns to complete the extrusion cycle.

Chris, awesome idea and work on your part!
Well John,

My thoughts went indeed to the Shavalin brush i bought from you; it takes about two to three turns to complete full extension of the tube that pushes the cream into the loft. It has a very broad screw thread though.
But i think Bernd is capable enough to apply changes needed to get a lower turn number or whatever needed to get the final desired version of this adjustable brush.

Peter

Peter
Amyn

Post by Amyn »

Excellent idea. With a very good looking prototype. This could certainly the SMF IV
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Neat thing, I can use the large scuttle with the brush wide open, or the small one with it half closed. The latter appeals the most to me - Shavemac softness with the firmness of a stiffer brush. Enough to make me burst into Irving Berlin:

Heaven... I'm in heaven,
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak.
And I seem to find the happiness I seek,
When we're out together shaving cheek to cheek.

Chris
Where did I put those tap shoes?
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Crag

Post by Crag »

What a perfect brush to compliment my Gilette 1940...twist saftey, and twist brushy...Complimented by a twist shave stick from QED and we're in business!

:lol:
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Update from Bernd:

"1. I found a good thread with a 4 mm lead length.(acme thread)
This means a total of 3 turns for the complete way, instead of 17.
I will reduce the way of the plug from 16 mm to 12 mm.

2.For better grip I will make the disk for adjustment at the bottom with eight facets.

Hope I can send you a new sample within the next two weeks."

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Chris-- Did you broach the subject of hair shape (bulb vs. fan) with Bernd?

--Mark
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Yes I did, but he hasn't specifically replied to that part. Probably still in shock that someone might want to try another shape!

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

I can't wait to see the next iteration. Wow, a three-turn acme thread. Who'da thunk it? :lol: I knew I shoulda bought a lottery ticket when I made that post.

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
GillSchicKettE

Post by GillSchicKettE »

Definateley for the SMFIV with "fan" loft!!
jslfl

Post by jslfl »

Shock and AWE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve/Bronco

Post by Str8G8r »

OK how did I miss this thread the first few times it came up! Oh, yeah thats right I was in exile. :roll:

Another great idea from Master Moss. We just live in the shaving world he creates for us. Some of his simpleset suggestions have radically changed the way and the quality of of my shaves. I can humbily say I am indebted to you. :D

Now you better not make this brush idea freeware like you did with the scuttle! That thing deserves a patent and you to get royalties. It won't be an entry level brush but it is what every newbie should use. So they can get the different brush styles without all the questions about which brush is best with creams? Answer "The Moss VLB" Which brush is best with soaps? "The Moss VLB" Which brush is best with creamy soaps? "The Moss VLB"

I feel like I am witnessing history in the making. 40 years from now I can see myself talking to my grand son or someone else about shaving and they shoe me their new brush. A Moss VLB Mark XVI and they rave about it. Then I pull out the Moss VLB Mark I that I have and show them that it is autographed by the creater. Then whoever it is that I am showing it too has to leave to go watch a Hockey team play over at Moss Stadium. My my how things changed that day!
--Charlie
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Str8G8r wrote:
Answer "The Moss VLB" Which brush is best with soaps? "The Moss VLB" Which brush is best with creamy soaps? "The Moss VLB"
The brush will have to have a numbered dial. Set the brush on "1" while working the soap. Then increase the loft to setting "4" to lather in the bowl for maximum lather building. Reduce the setting to "3" for a firm feeling while lathering on the face, "4" for a softer luxurious feeling. "2" for a firm scrubbing action.
Richard
kirkawall

Post by kirkawall »

The Moss Brush = "The Mush?"

I love this idea. And I wish I'd had one at the get-go. And there is something peculiarly satisfying about an adjustable brush to go with those 1-9 razors. A supremely elegant design -- kudos to the Dyson of modern wetshaving!!!

k
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Chris, this is quite interesting to watch unfold, no doubt there will be copies and imitations (such as with the scuttle) but I think you are definitely onto something.
Any word back from Bernd about the fan shaped loft vice the standard lightbulb Shavemacs are famous for?
Sounds very neat, regardless.
John P.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Thankee for all these kind and undeserved words.

I haven't got the second one yet, but expect it any day. Bernd hasn't replied with respect to altering the shape of the brush yet; he may be still in shock.

I have told him I don't want any royalties, but I wouldn't call it or the scuttle 'freeware' - I'd call them honourware. Buy the real thing or be recognised by all as a cad.

When the second prototype turns up I shall have a difficult decision about what to do with the first. I ought to cut it apart to see if it is growing any black slime inside, to check if this concern is real. But one has a certain reluctance to cut up one's children (well, most of the time), so I suppose I could save it for posterity, auction it for charity, or just leave it to Peter in my will!

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

drmoss_ca wrote:When the second prototype turns up I shall have a difficult decision about what to do with the first. I ought to cut it apart to see if it is growing any black slime inside, to check if this concern is real. But one has a certain reluctance to cut up one's children (well, most of the time), so I suppose I could save it for posterity, auction it for charity, or just leave it to Peter in my will!
Isn't that a bit like carrying coals to Newcastle?

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow, reading this thread just made me realise that Moss Scuttle actually means “Dr Chris Moss Scuttle”. I always thought that “moss” somewhat referred to, you, know… “moss”.
Str8G8r

Post by Str8G8r »

Lyrt wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow, reading this thread just made me realise that Moss Scuttle actually means “Dr Chris Moss Scuttle”. I always thought that “moss” somewhat referred to, you, know… “moss”.
Nope. You are in the presence of the creator.
--Charlie