Polo 12 VS Shavemac Horn XXL Silvertip Size comparo

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
karim0028

Post by karim0028 »

Joel, i seriously love that shavemac brush... That brush is kickass.... IMO it puts those other expensive brushes to shame...

-Hytham
-"Life without emotion is no more than death in disguise"
karim0028
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Loving my horn xxl as well (combined with my new QED stick love affair.) Is it me or are we looking at different hair? Standing my Chubby 3 Super beside the xxl horn I do notice (as Joel's picture shows-a dramatic difference in hair type and color. The Chubby & Joel's Polo have a higher & darker middle and the tips are much whiter than the Shavemac. Combined with the stiffness of the CH3 Super & Polo 12 & 14 Super (along with what some believe is to come from Rooney's Super & Finest) I still think the top end Simpson's are the real thing. The Shavemacs are a hell of a product at a great price and should be looked at in those terms. I am not talking about the shave quality, just the hair in the brush. Some Method guys have found their answer, some others believe anything over a certain $ amount is mute. I, for one, am having a lot of fun.

Max
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Daaaayum....that shavemac seems like it puts that poor lil Polo 12 to shame!!! I look forward to the lathering tests!!!
:::Vince:::
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Joel, Point well taken. I will say though the XXL does not seem like a 28mm from a Simpsons or Vulfix. It really does feel more substantial (almost like a 32mm?). I will agree that the Horn handle is much easier on our large hands than the Polo.

Max
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Max, Joel is right about the domed shape effecting the perception of 'whiteness'. However, your other observation struck me as well, namely, that seen from the side, the Shavemac shows a coloration pattern that is similiar to the Plisson High Mountain Whites and some Chubby Supers I've seen, while the Polo has a look that is more similiar to regular 'super' or 'best' grade brushes. Very interesting, and quite stunning when one considers the price differential. The large Shavemac silvertips are unquestionably an incredible buy. Regards, Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Joel, I'm not, at least in the foreseeable future. I have something else in mind, and ( alas ) my budget for shaving goods is not...a...unlimited, to put it mildly. I've grown very fond of my Plisson silvertip, with it's domed crown and somewhat smaller size ( 24mm. ) it fits my hand and face very well, and I'm very keen on the classic shaped Plisson handle. BTW, despite what one poster said, the ebony handle on my Plisson does not look like those black composition handles. It is nuanced by the wood grain, and is quite handsome. So, I wouldn't automatically dismiss ebony for those SMF custom brushes that your contemplating. Regards, Gordon
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

bernards66 wrote:Joel, I'm not, at least in the foreseeable future. I have something else in mind, and ( alas ) my budget for shaving goods is not...a...unlimited, to put it mildly. I've grown very fond of my Plisson silvertip, with it's domed crown and somewhat smaller size ( 24mm. ) it fits my hand and face very well, and I'm very keen on the classic shaped Plisson handle. BTW, despite what one poster said, the ebony handle on my Plisson does not look like those black composition handles. It is nuanced by the wood grain, and is quite handsome. So, I wouldn't automatically dismiss ebony for those SMF custom brushes that your contemplating. Regards, Gordon
Well put Gordon! Are you buying one also?
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, No, as I suggested above, I'm awaiting the arrival of the RA Rooney brushes. I've been looking to get one for a good long time now, and the exact type/size/style that I favor seems like it's going to be available. Of course, I won't know for certain until they're here. If the Rooneys had continued to be elusive and unavailable, I would have at least considered the Shavemacs ( now that we've become aware of what their best products are really like ), but if so, it would have been a model specific to what I tend to favor, rather then a group brush. I mentioned the ebony handle to Joel because I have one on my Plisson, and it's quite nice. I thought he got an inaccurate picture of what the ebony is really like from that one post that I read. I gather that you wouldn't mind an ebony handle too much? Regards, Gordon
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

bernards66 wrote:Ron, No, as I suggested above, I'm awaiting the arrival of the RA Rooney brushes. I've been looking to get one for a good long time now, and the exact type/size/style that I favor seems like it's going to be available. Of course, I won't know for certain until they're here. If the Rooneys had continued to be elusive and unavailable, I would have at least considered the Shavemacs ( now that we've become aware of what their best products are really like ), but if so, it would have been a model specific to what I tend to favor, rather then a group brush. I mentioned the ebony handle to Joel because I have one on my Plisson, and it's quite nice. I thought he got an inaccurate picture of what the ebony is really like from that one post that I read. I gather that you wouldn't mind an ebony handle too much? Regards, Gordon
Actually when it comes to handle preference, while I like ebony, I think we missed the opportunity to get something really exclusive for the SMF brush. I do think that Joel will be able to put together something handsome despite the whinge of the committee. Good luck with the Rooney brush. I certainly hope you get that which you desire.
Regards,
Ron
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, Thank you, I hope so too. Likewise, here's to that group brush coming to fruition without a hitch. Doing anything like that, via 'commitee'. is always a challenge. Regards, Gordon