In praise of the Simpson Polo 10 Best

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
JackieMartling

In praise of the Simpson Polo 10 Best

Post by JackieMartling »

Hello, all. Those who've read my past reviews of brushes (they're back there somewhere...keep looking) may know I'm a big fan of white grade hair, and rave over my Simpson CH2 Super and Plisson 16 HMW Horn. Well, I broke out my Simpson PL10 grey Best today, for the first time in I don't know how long, and used it to whomp up a batch of luscious Trumper Rose cream. Really, this is one hell of a brush. I know Simpson has gotten a bad rap of late, but this brush (like all my Simpsons) is built like a tank. The Best hair is outstanding; it may lack a certain degree of cachet that the white grades have, but it is soft without being floppy, and holds water like a fat woman who eats too much salt. The size of the PL10 is large without being unwieldy, and the knot is very densely packed. It's long handle is also easy to maneuver, and is comfortable to hold - more so than the Chubby handles. I got a great lather using it, and it just jumped all the hurdles I threw at it, time and again. In short, this is a superlative workhorse of a brush that should satisfy anyone who likes a largish cream brush. I'll never stop raving about my CH2 and Plisson 16, but the PL10 is a great brush by any standard, and one I could be quite happy with on a desert island...withdrawal from my white brushes notwithstanding.

Simpson Polo 10 Best
Total Height: 120mm
Handle Height: 68mm
Bristle Loft: 52mm
Knot Diameter: 28mm
Base Diameter: 45mm
Grip Ring: 31mm

L-R: Simpson Polo 10 Best, Simpson Polo 8 Best, Simpson Chubby 1 Best

~ Nathan
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nathan, ( as you know ) I entirely agree with everything you've written above, only in my case, slightly downsized to the Polo 8 Best. A great all around brush, and the #8 anyway, also works superlatively with hard soaps in those wooden bowls; one of the best there is for that work. One of Trumper's finest, and most experianced barbers, who now works at the shop at Harrods, refuses to use anything but a Polo with his customers. It is a shame, what's recently happened at Simpsons, but I do believe that they will return to their former long standing tradition of exceptional quality and durability.
Regards,
Gordon
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

I echo everything in your post Nathan; same counts for the Polo #10 in super. An outstanding shaving brush, with very high quality super badger hair, packed tightly and efficiently in a superbe loft.

My Polo #12 in best is an extremely well built shaving brush with the highest quality best badger ín my whole array of shaving brushes. Simpsons best badger is imo the most superior best badger there is on the market.
There is in fact no reason to choose for super badger since the qualities of Simpsons best is simple perfect. The only reason could be the visual aspect of the loft.

Yes, despite all problems with Simpsons brushes in the past year they remain one of the best shaving brushes of the world, if not the best.

Peter
Peter
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Gordon's right about the Polo 8 and hard soaps. My Polo 8 Super is a great brush that really digs into the soap and doesn't flop, allowing you to build up a nice lather. It also feels great when you scrub it on your face, so luxurious.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I would have had a Polo 8 or 10, but I got a great deal on a Chubby 1 in best. Since it works well, no shedding, I am keeping it. Wish the handle was not as short, but hey, I like it.

Sam
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Nathan, thanks for the very interesting read. They do look and sound like very nice brushes. It was reviews like this that made me consider buying a Simpson's in the first place. I'm glad that many of you managed to find your favorites before the troubles cropped up.

It is a shame that I have had nothing but problems with Simpson's however and my new replacement is still shedding (and my other replacement remains in its box waiting for my father's birthday). This has forever changed the way I look at these brushes. I don't even have the desire to use my T4 any more.

Yes, I'm bitter! :lol: Today, one cannot recommend them without a bit of "buyer beware." Also, the fact that the hair type varies makes from model to model and brush to brush makes it a bit of a mystery as to what you will actually end up with. I would love a new T2 though...

Thanks again for the review and sorry for the bit of hijacking.
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, Well, any differences in the bristle knot between the Polo 8 Best and the CH1 Best are so minor as to hardly be worth mentioning. If anything, the CH1 is even a tad denser, and hence, even a little better with the wooden bowls of English soap. It was actually the CH1 Best that I had for awhile, that led me to the PL8. I was very impressed with that brush, but, like you, found the handle a bit short. Truth to tell, in a more perfect world, I would have liked a handle inbetween the two is height. In any case, they're great all around brushes, and any sensible ( ie, non-shavegeek ) shaver would never really have need of any other.
Regards,
Gordon
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

rustyblade wrote:Also, the fact that the hair type varies makes from model to model and brush to brush makes it a bit of a mystery as to what you will actually end up with.
This was the case with the Supers, yes; whenever recommending one, I would have to go to great lengths describing what was what, and advising that one should never order a Super without calling and nailing down an actual brush a vendor would sell you, and only after you and the vendor were exactly clear on what the hair quality of that brush actually was - quite silly to have to do, really, but necessary nevertheless. That was never the way of it with Best; every Best I got was the same as any other, and each was as excellent as the last. Alas, this was before the reported troubles. I really don't know what to say about that. I'd like to think it is a temporary thing, but if I bought one that was defective, I'd probably be a little shell shocked, too, not to mention disilliusioned and, yes, bitter.

~ Nathan
Steve

Post by Steve »

Gordon,

What recently happened at Simpsons? Was there a drop in quality? How recently did this happen? I'm curisous because I have not had any problems with the Chubby I purchased 1-2 years ago.

Steve
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Steve, Within the last year, quite a number of Simpson brushes started to show up that shed like the bedickins. MOST uncharacteristic of the brand, to put it mildly. Put briefly, David Carter apparantly retired, and those left in charge were not up to maintaining the standards, or didn't care, or even tried to make more profit by cheapening the materials used. Whatever the reason may have been, QC issues started to become a major problem. Mr. Carter has since resumed the helm, and is/has made the corrections needed to return the brushes to their former quality. But, unfortunately, there are still quite a few of the sub-par ones floating about, I suspect.
Regards,
Gordon
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Gordon, unfortunately that doesn't resolve my shedding replacement that was made under David Carter's return. I hate to keep bringing that up, but it may be a reminder that all is still not well.
Richard
kirkawall

Post by kirkawall »

rustyblade wrote:Gordon, unfortunately that doesn't resolve my shedding replacement that was made under David Carter's return. I hate to keep bringing that up, but it may be a reminder that all is still not well.
Richard,

My non-shedding T3 replacement was made upon David Carter's return and was according to my vendor among the first of the new breed. It doesn't shed but has some other, er, distinctive properties. I think the only way to go with these brushes still is to buy one if you want BUT only from a vendor who will personally assess the brush and then will back it up indefinitely -- even, as your experience shows, through multiple replacements if need be. I guess that doesn't solve the problem of frustrations, waits for replacements and so forth, but at least you're covered for the loss. That lovely colouring is not as comfortable on the face as the tri-colour Super, though, and I'm not sure I go for another one for the looks alone. But they are stunning brushes. Okay, so I WOULD go for another one. I'm a sap.

best,

k
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

kirkawall wrote:
rustyblade wrote:Gordon, unfortunately that doesn't resolve my shedding replacement that was made under David Carter's return. I hate to keep bringing that up, but it may be a reminder that all is still not well.
Richard,

My non-shedding T3 replacement was made upon David Carter's return and was according to my vendor among the first of the new breed. It doesn't shed but has some other, er, distinctive properties. I think the only way to go with these brushes still is to buy one if you want BUT only from a vendor who will personally assess the brush and then will back it up indefinitely -- even, as your experience shows, through multiple replacements if need be. I guess that doesn't solve the problem of frustrations, waits for replacements and so forth, but at least you're covered for the loss. That lovely colouring is not as comfortable on the face as the tri-colour Super, though, and I'm not sure I go for another one for the looks alone. But they are stunning brushes. Okay, so I WOULD go for another one. I'm a sap.

best,

k
Kirk, the problem with going for a replacement again is the $10 shipping to Lee and the $80 Customs Fees on the way back in for the replacement. Also the fact I'm without it (which means nothing at this point) for ~8 weeks. So $100cdn to replace a $220US brush. What an insult. Maybe this replacement T4 will settle down, but I have no desire to use the cursed thing. I get more joy from my $70 Kent BK4 or Rooney Super.
Richard
kirkawall

Post by kirkawall »

rustyblade wrote:
kirkawall wrote:
Richard,

best,

k
Kirk, the problem with going for a replacement again is the $10 shipping to Lee and the $80 Customs Fees on the way back in for the replacement. Also the fact I'm without it (which means nothing at this point) for ~8 weeks. So $100cdn to replace a $220US brush. What an insult. Maybe this replacement T4 will settle down, but I have no desire to use the cursed thing. I get more joy from my $70 Kent BK4 or Rooney Super.
I hear you. I managed to evade the Customs fees second time round by insisting on "Nil Value for Customs" wording on the form. But I agree that in your situation it isn't worth it -- you're right to feel aggrieved and not consider a Simpson's purchase again. I've actually just had a shedder in from another company and considered just forgetting about it rather than going through all the hassle. It would be nice to have online prices and customer service from a store you could actually get to. That would make buying a high-end brush much less of a gamble. Oh well. Of the several brushes I own, only two, the Wee Scot and the Sabrooney, have not shed a single hair and have looked and performed exactly as specified. That's two out of about eight, so roughly 25%. Them's long odds.

best,

k
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Kirk, Well, that's always tended to be the case with many real Whites. They are by no means always all that soft on the face. The Rooney Finest specimens seem to be, most of the time, ( but not always, check Chris Fisher's posts ), but they are the exception, rather then the rule. Nathan became so fond of the genuine Whites ( Simpson & Plisson ) because he LIKES a very firm, somewhat 'scrubby' feel. I traded my T4 White for his three banded T3 partially because of size, but also, partially because the T4 was a tad more 'scubby' then I personally like. Lee, of Lee's Razors, used to generally recommend Simpson Bests, rather then Supers, to new customers, because he felt they were more comfy on the skin.

Richard, No, the 'problems' are probably not completely over, at Simpsons just yet. It takes time to fully straighten out a mess like that, as well as money. However, I think it is happening, and will be completed. The most recently purchased models are coming in okay, it seems. The T4 that you got was probably actually made during that 'bad' period. I suspect that Carter looked it over, it seemed okay visually, and off it went. It's a shame, and I understand your frustration, but, he couldn't very well use it a few times to check it out, then pass it on to you. I can certainly relate to you being very wary, as well as annoyed, at this point; I would be too, if it had happened to me. But, I think that by the autumn, the picture will have clarified, and you may well be able to order a Simpson with relative confidence, if you choose.
Regards,
Gordon
levente

Post by levente »

Well, Simpson's troubles have certainly given many dedicated wetshavers pause in buying any of their new products, but I have a suggestion for Mr. Carter that may help out. Perhaps he can offer Simpson to be the manufacturer of the SMF IV brush, maybe something on the order of a Duke D3 in Best or Super at a very favorable price. Then those of us "in the know" could spread the word that Simpson's problems are all in the past. Something tells me that there are many others on this board as selfless as I who would be more than happy to do so. :D

Regards,
Basil
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

My advice: get a Plisson. I'm a big Simpson fan, but I have yet to hear of any problems with Plissons that have plagued Simpsons of late. I've put my #16 through its paces over the year I've had it, and it hasn't shed a single hair. Their hair grading system is also more reliable than Simpson's. As far as I'm aware, if you order a Plisson White, either High Mountain or European, you're going to get a White. There's no guesswork there. I've said it before and I'll say it again, even my mostest favorite Simpson brushes don't have quite the ideal proportions of knot, loft, crown shape and handle feel as does my #16. While I would never willingly give up my best Simpsons, the #16 is really the only brush I need. Another nice selling point for the brand is that selection of hair and handle type greatly increases with smaller sizes; Plisson seems to specialize in more compact brushes. One of the major Plisson sellers (Atkinsons) is in Vancouver, which should help Canadians avoid duty costs.

~ Nathan
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

FWIW, I picked up a Simpsons Eagle 3 from Lee's Razors a few weeks back and it has not shed a single hair. Nothing. My other brushes, Savile Row and Col Conk -- both made by Vulfix, while stable now, did lose a few hairs during their first few weeks of use. Again, my Simpsons E3 has not shed a single hair.
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Nathan, I have a Plisson #14 HMW and it is a superb brush and also a 'true' white. I have seen some pictures posted here and at the other forum of members getting a HMW that is 3 banded and doesn't look milky white on top.
This has left me scratching my head as to why this would be. I know that Simpson brushes are also labeled Supers and sometimes you get a true white and sometimes you don't. This whole brush business is a crap shoot.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Nathan, why spend all that money though? Rooney Finests are the best "true-white" bang for the buck. They are also built very very well, and seem to be consistent.
Richard