Kent BK4 ( again )

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Hmmm.....upon closer inspection, I think that the BK4 may, in fact, be a little more densely packed then my Vulfix 2234, and that might partially account for it's better performance with the hard soaps. Only thing I can think of. Their behavior with the soft creams is pretty much identical.
Regards,
Gordon
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Richard, I have the impression that my BK8 and BK12 are denser and stiffer than the BK4, which is airy and insubstantial on the face. Nonetheless, it actually works on soaps and some years ago I was known to trumpet that no one need buy any other brush. O tempora, o mores!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Chris, I find the opposite. The BK4 is denser and has more backbone. I think there is slight variation in the bristle they use, which is clear here:

Richard
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Altogether now....YMMV!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Richard, So, it would seem. Although photos can be tricky, I realize, still, the BK4 that I have does not seem to be as light colored at the tip as yours. In the past, when I looked at your comparison BK photos, I just assumed that your BK8 was somewhat discolored from heavy useage, whilst your BK4 was almost new. But, perhaps not. I have no means of comparison, but I have noted that Chris and yourself have had opposite takes on the relative density of these two models. Interesting.
Regards,
Gordon
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Gordon, I thought the same about discolouration, but then I think back and most of my usage has been on white soaps, with the odd coloured soap here and there. I've never used a coloured cream with any regularity (and I sold them all months ago).

I hate to bring up the old bleaching debate again, but the BK brushes have very little stench...probably a result of bleaching? Or am I delving deeply into something I shouldn't?
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Richard, "Gaze not too deeply into the Abyss, least it gaze back at you," Ahem.....sorry. Well, Vulfix will tell you openly that they bleach their Super grade models to make them more appealing visually. And, Philip Waterson, head honcho at Vulfix, has told me that the practice is by no means limited to his firm. As high end shave brush makers go, Kent is a pretty high output operation ( as is Vulfix ) so, it would not surprise me if they do so as well. Remember, that generally, 'Super' or 'Best' grade bristle is essentially 'Pure' but it has been re-sorted and picked over to get the best bunches, but visually, it probably doesn't look much different, so they lighten it up a bit, for differentialtion and added pizzaz. Now mind, I'm not saying for a fact that Kent does something similiar to Vulfix, but they certainly might.
Regards,
Gordon
levente

Post by levente »

Richard & Gordon,

Well, if Vulfix admits to bleaching its badger hairs, that would blow the theory that bleaching reduces brush stench, because new Vulfix Supers (and I've had a few) REEK.

Regards,
Basil