Savile Row Brushes- Good Stuff

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Savile Row Brushes- Good Stuff

Post by mantic »

Gents-- For those of you who don't go to that "other" message board, I recently visited Charles Roberts for an introduction to RMWS. It was a really interesting half-day visit, part of which was CR showing me the characteristics of a good shaving brush (demo'ing a Simpson's, of course :lol: ).

When I got back home I examined my Savile Row super badger (SR 23, a bit less than 4 inches overall height) in the same fashion as CR demonstrated to me (soak it well, smoosh it down to open the breech all the way, then turn it up to see how bristles distribute). While its no Simpson's, it performed admirably well: just a little of the "flower petal" effect and only a few of the inner-most hairs popped up! How well it would hold up long-term against the torture RMWS would give it I don't know, but its nice to know a reasonably good quality brush can be found for a reasonable price.

--Mark
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

What is the "other" board, and what is RMWS. It's nice to hear that Saville Roa is worth the money. I plan on buying new brush, but I dont want to spend over $60. I think I am going to go with SR. Thanks for the info.
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

johnnie wrote:What is the "other" board, and what is RMWS.
Uh oh...I might be opening a can of worms here. :oops: The "other" board is the wetshavers group on MSN (http://groups.msn.com/wetshavers). RMWS is the Roberts Method of Wet Shaving, a regimented, scientific approach to shaving; Charles Roberts is on a quest to find the "perfect" shave, using only the finest products available. See http://www.enchanteonline.com/pages/men ... graces.htm

(Now excuse me while I duck under my desk. :D )

--Mark
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Hey Mark,

No worries and no no I don't think this is a can of worms at all. At least to me there is nothing wrong with mentioning the MSN group or linking to them for that matter. I still visit the MSN group and post there quite often. As we add content slowly to this site I expect our membership to pick up. I'm in it for the long haul and if I can poach a few members from that group then all the better :-P

Vince
:::Vince:::
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

No big deal. I'm sure everyone looks at other forums. Just don't do it again. J/K :D
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

I will also add that even though I don't really follow the RMWS I really do love my Simpson brush. I also think that both Savile Row and Vulfix are great brands. I plan on ordering a Vulfix #377 myself.
:::Vince:::