Tulip 2

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Tulip 2

Post by rustyblade »

Not much to say yet as I don't have the time right now. No shedding! (yet!)
Richard
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Still my favorite handle. Great looking brush. Love my 3 and 4. The T3 combined with a soap (Harris or Martin De Candre) is my perfect companion.

Max
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Some guys lust over Harleys but I lust over the Tulip 2. I guess that's why I'm here and not on a Harley Forum.

Enjoy that brush!

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Great brush. I've been really spoiled by the firmness of the Rooney Finest which makes every "super" brush feel <cough> floppy. This brush is nice and dense and falls somewhere in between the Rooney Finest and Kent BK4 in terms of face feel. Also note that Rooney Finest (Size 1 Style 3), Tulip 2, and a BK4 are all a similar size. As others mentioned the Tulip handle is quite desirable and is very comfortable as well, I like small brushes that have useful handles.

Not sure how the two banded version differs from the "regular" super.
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Richard, Well, that's the first thing that I noticed ( of course ). It seems like almost all the Tulips, of whatever size, are now coming in as true Whites; two banded specimens. A few years back, they were almost always three banded. I don't know about these new ones, but back when I got the then rare two banded T4, it was maybe slightly stiffer, and definately a tad 'prickly'. The T3 three banded I traded for was softer on the face. You can also clearly see in your photograph that unique kind of golden color of the bristles in the center of the Rooney knot, whereas, the Simpson does not show that peculiarity. I'll be interested to hear how the T2 works for you, as you have an opportunity to use it some. It always seemed to me that it would likely be a superb hard soap brush.
Regards,
Gordon
kirkawall

Post by kirkawall »

A beautiful brush indeed, Richard. How's its "feel" so far? If your T2 combines the dense-but-soft bristle of the Rooney Finests with that wonderful handle then it is a very special little number indeed. By gum, the sight of that brush makes a right-thinking man want to rush out and place an order --

-- and wait, and wait, and wait...

Great brush and great pix -- enjoy it!

best,

k :)
Last edited by kirkawall on Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
letterk
Vendor

Post by letterk »

The T2 Super is my favorite brush. Nice choice.

I've been told all Tulips are being produced in the "two-band" variety. Although, if you look at the center of the knot, you'll see it's really three-band.

I'm not sure the T2 is less dense than the Rooney Finest, but the Rooney Finest hair is thicker and stiffer and doesn't splay as much. I prefer the tips of the hair in the T2 overall as they feel a tad less scritchy, but that may be because the Rooneys are just so darn stiff. I'll post a photo comparison of my T2, Sabini Finest Style 3 Size 1, and Rooney Finest Style 1 Size 1 tomorrow.
Last edited by letterk on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
John

WestCoastShaving.com - The Original DE Blade Sampler Packs, Shavemac, Proraso, Merkur, Valobra, Pre de Provence and more!
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I should have noted that the T2 is ever so slightly scritchy which I like (I like to "feel" my brushes on my face). The Tulip is more dense than than the Rooney Finest. The Tulip is nice, but nothing will replace my Rooney anytime soon.
Richard
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

kirkawall wrote:
-- and wait, and wait, and wait...

k :)
I know the feeling............... :wink: :wink: :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Richard

Thanks for the pictures and your comments. When I first saw that brush I went wooooooohoooooooo, but then when I read that it wasn't that flexible, well I can't say what i said :lol: :lol:

Best of luck with the new brush.

Clive

p.s. love the new avatar
de gustibus non est disputandum
letterk
Vendor

Post by letterk »

Clive, the T2 is more flexible than the Rooney Finest.
John

WestCoastShaving.com - The Original DE Blade Sampler Packs, Shavemac, Proraso, Merkur, Valobra, Pre de Provence and more!
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Post bloom. Those two brushes have a lot in common, yet feel quite different on the face. Two shaves and multiple test-lathers and nary a bristle lost. I've always loved Simpson's. The decal also remains with no protection. Woo.
Richard
kirkawall

Post by kirkawall »

Just got my T2 in the post -- or rather, on the post, since it was cunningly affixed to our front-door handle with an elastic band. Out of the box it's a beaut with a VERY white and well-turned handle and a dense but soft crown and looking forward to giving it a whirl. It's a very pleasing brush to hold and here's hoping for no bristle loss...

best,

k
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev »

i dare say it: perhaps now is the perfect time to buy simpson's?
fresh from their QC issues, maybe this new batch is perfect? trying to improve impressions and all...who knows?
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

salbev wrote:i dare say it: perhaps now is the perfect time to buy simpson's?
fresh from their QC issues, maybe this new batch is perfect? trying to improve impressions and all...who knows?
Aha! perhaps....but this brush was on special order for several months.
Richard
Horse Shaver

Post by Horse Shaver »

The two banded Simpson's Super badger brushes are as close as you can get to a true "white" without the cost. My T-3 and PJ3 in super are both 2 banded badger bristle and the feel/performance is very similar to my Plisson HMW, My Rooney Finests, and the two Simpson's Manchurians I used to own.
Jeff

I'm just here for the free beer!
kirkawall

Post by kirkawall »

Horse Shaver wrote:The two banded Simpson's Super badger brushes are as close as you can get to a true "white" without the cost. My T-3 and PJ3 in super are both 2 banded badger bristle and the feel/performance is very similar to my Plisson HMW, My Rooney Finests, and the two Simpson's Manchurians I used to own.
I'd agree with that. These T2s seem a whole lot softer-tipped than the T3 I previously owned but have the density/firmness of that brush. This one also seems very solid indeed. The wait for this one was outrageous but they may now be up and running and perhaps these waits, along with the QC problems, will belong to the past. Great little brush though. I'd say that I prefer it to my departed Rooney 3/1 mostly on the basis of the handle -- that 3/1 was like holding a live pike for me. I could not hang onto it with soapy hands. This ought to reflect on my motor skills and not the brush...

best,

k
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

k, that was my first impression of this brush also, that it feels unusually solid. Don't know why or how, but it does.

Can't explain it.
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jeff, Well, Simpsons of this type, like the T2 in Richard's photo, ARE true Whites. Years ago, Simpson Supers always looked like that, and they seem to be going back to that level of bristle, perhaps due to the competion from Rooney for the top end business,....who knows? Personally, I'm glad to hear that the consensus seems to be that these brand new ones have softer tip then did the few that there were a couple of years back. That T4 White that I had was decidedly somewhat 'prickly', too much so for my taste.

Richard, You're kidding?! The Simpson logo is now permanantly afixed? Well, well.....do you suppose that they finally heeded us, after all our kevetching about the inappropiateness of their labels coming off at the first hint of water? Good news, and a superb looking brush. I'm glad that after all the grief you went through, that you finally got a proper one, and can now appreciate why Peter, myself, and others are so fond of Simpsons.
Regards,
Gordon
kirkawall

Post by kirkawall »

rustyblade wrote:k, that was my first impression of this brush also, that it feels unusually solid. Don't know why or how, but it does.

Can't explain it.
Yes -- solid, and dense. The handle is beautifully turned and seems to be a shade whiter than the standard Simpson's livery; certainly brighter and a finer finish than my Duke 3. Perhaps a different resin or molding process? Anyway, it really is a lovely object as well as an excellent small brush. Hopefully, this quality will characterize the whole range from now on!

best,

k