Plisson - European Grey

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Dale

Plisson - European Grey

Post by Dale »

I would really like to get a Plisson Size 10 EW, but prudence demands that I inquire about the European Grey. :) Can anyone tell me what I could expect from this type of hair? So far I have three brushes to use as reference points: Rooney Style 2 Finest, Rooney Stubby 2, and a Vulfix 2233 Super Badger. I used to have a Rooney Style 1 Small Pure, but it was not comfortable to use in lathering directly on the face. Now when I really want to scrub my face I use my old boar brush -- works great. :) Thanks for your help.

Warm regards,
Dale
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Interesting that her name is Prudence - we don't hear that older style of names so often anymore. :lol:

Sorry to make a useless post, but I have never used a Plisson brush.
dada

Post by dada »

I have only used Finest, HMW and vintage Plissons with some undeterminable hair (different from current HMW) - so no experienc with EW.

However, I think Steve said it's very close to HMW.

I am sure someone will be here shortly with actual experience :roll:

Cheers
Ivo
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

EW is very similar to HMW, although less white at the tips.
EG has relatively firm bristles and is scratchier/ pricklier than the former two.
Peter
Slant-Fan

Post by Slant-Fan »

Just got an EW plexi size 10 from Colonial a few weeks ago. I was surprised to find it was not as scrubby/prickly as an HMW. Nice, resiliant and soft at the tips. Similar feeling to a Simpson's Best or a Rooney Super in my limited experience.
Regards,

jimmy
Dale

Post by Dale »

Thanks for your responses. I think the EW is the grade for me. The EG is tempting (price-wise) but I fear I would not be happy with it. So I will add a size 10 EW to my Brush Acquisition List. :D
dada

Post by dada »

More small brush lovers!

My size 12 feels somewhat a bit too big, a 10 may be perfect!

By the way, this is the first time I hear EW compared to Rooney Super, any more votes on the similarity?

Cheers
Ivo
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Dale,

I'm going to write you a PM with some more information and opinion in it, but I would certainly recommend going with the EW. There is nothing wrong with the EG (I even have a Black which I adore), but I think if you're going to go for a really top-end Plisson and you don't want to risk being disappointed, you should go for the EW.

As for size, the 10 is a similar size to the small Rooney's and is in my opinion absolutely perfect. If you prefer a medium size brush, then by all means go for a 12 (or 14 if you really want). I have no doubt that a 10 will be fine for your needs however.

Keep an eye out for my PM.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Dale, I think that would be best, and my experiance ( limited though it may be ) matches Peter's. The Plisson EGs that I've examined were well made and firm, but seemed a tad 'rough' or 'prickly'. And considering that they are not really that much less expensive then the EWs, the EWs are the way to go IMO. They are often almost indistinguishable from the much pricier HMWs. Of the brushes that you have, the EW would probably be closest in feel to that Rooney Heritage model. Of course, as you know, on this level individual brushes do vary somewhat.
Regards,
Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ivo, No, the Plisson EW bristle is quite different stuff from what Rooney uses for their Super models ( which is basically a standard, though high end, grade of grey badger ). However, that Rooney Emillion I have, part of their new 'Heritage Series', does remind me, more then a little, of the Plisson EW sort of bristle in some respects.
Regards,
Gordon
jojo

Post by jojo »

If I were looking for firm brush, but soft tips (luxurious, not stratchy, but not floppy) which of these (EW, Rooney Heritage Stubby, or Rooney Super) would you recommend?
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

EW and Stubby would fit, Rooney super not quite imo (not as firm as the first two). Best match would be the Stubby i think.
Peter
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I concur with the gentleman for the Netherlands. Of the three that you named, the Stubby would be most likely to be the best example of what you are after.
Regards,
Gordon
jojo

Post by jojo »

Thanks, Gordon and Peter.

If you threw the HMW into the battle against the Stubby, and were looking for the same characteristics (pretty firm, but soft (not scratchy) tips), would the Heritage still be your pick?
dada

Post by dada »

I cannot speak for them, but I'd have to say HMW does not have the softest tips I have felt (if you smash the brush dry in your face). When wet - feels very different (I know, nobody uses a dry brush, I am probably the only moron checking brushes like this :roll: )

Cheers
Ivo
Slant-Fan

Post by Slant-Fan »

I have had a few Plisson HMWs come and go and all were prickly like a Rooney Finest.
Regards,

jimmy
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

dada wrote:I cannot speak for them, but I'd have to say HMW does not have the softest tips I have felt (if you smash the brush dry in your face). When wet - feels very different (I know, nobody uses a dry brush, I am probably the only moron checking brushes like this :roll: )
There are at least two of us. :wink:
Dale

Post by Dale »

I have had a Rooney Style 2 Finest for a couple months and I always thought the tips were rather prickly. The other day I picked it up to caress my face and all of a sudden it seemed incredibly soft! Perhaps it just got broken in -- I am still new at this so I am not sure what happened. Even my wife thought the tips were really soft.

A few minutes ago I shaved with the Stubby 2. This is perhaps the sixth shave with this brush. The following words convey my impressions: soft, thick, dense, luxurious, firm, resilient, rich, warm. I am still trying to figure out what kind of brush I prefer and so far a 24mm with about a 48mm loft is tops. It makes me want to order an Emillion and a T3! lol I think a Plisson in 24mm just got priced out of my range. :)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

jojo, Well, the same applies, as the Plisson EW and HMW bristle is really extremely similiar in most cases. The difference seems to be mainly in the visual effect, as Peter mentioned above. Genuine White type bristle often tends to feel a tad 'prickly' on the skin when new ( occasionally, very much so, occasionally, not at all ). As Dale discovered with his Rooney Finest, this often wears off with a bit of useage. But I think that either the Stubby or one of the higher end Simpson Bests are more likely to provide what you seem to be looking for, right out of the box.
Regards,
Gordon
Dale

Post by Dale »

Right out of the box the Stubby 2 was softer than the Rooney Finest. But now the Finest is softer -- perhaps the Stubby will match it in time. I am very happy with both brushes. The Finest is prettier to look at, tho.