Keeping the Brush Warm?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
UsherLincoln

Keeping the Brush Warm?

Post by UsherLincoln »

Good afternoon Gentlemen,

I've been shaving all my life, recently switched to a safety razor (the best move I've ever made, I'm not regretting all the cartidge razors I delt with for so many years) but I've come across a problem recently.

We've had an uncommonly cold winter here in the States, and I have been reluctant to turn the heat up making our house generally colder. Our bathroom in the morning is very cold, which makes the warm shower even better, but the problem I keep running into is keeping the brush and lather warm when not using them between passes.

Any suggestions on how to keep the heat in??

-Warm Regards (no pun intended haha)
-Lincoln

"Floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee..."
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Take a look here and here
Peter
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I lather on my face. I have a small but heavy mug where my brush just fits inside with no extra room. I put hot tap water in the mug to heat it up before I shave, giving me a warm place to keep the brush between passes.

For a better/nicer version of the same thing, search on this board for Moss scuttle. It has an outer chamber that you keep filled with warm water, and an inner chamber for your brush.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Funny - I just posted pics of my scuttles this morning on another thread.

While the Moss scuttle may well be the ultimate in scuttle experience, the Burleigh scuttle which I picked up on the market in York, England last summer works quite well for me.

Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The Moss scuttle was made especially for this purpose, by some crazy shaving maniac. Last weekend the 1000th scuttle was shipped, so someone must like them!
http://sarabonnymanpottery.com/moss_scuttle.htm

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Pen-in-Hand

Ah, the variations of making a hot lather

Post by Pen-in-Hand »

Just got my Moss scuttle last week and it's made shaving even more of a pleasure than whipping up lather in a bowl.

But here's my other trick. When I'm using one of Sara Bonnyman's lather bowls, I will fill the sink with about an inch of hot water and after whipping up a lather in the bowl, I kind of float the bowl in the inch of water to keep the lather hot between passes. This way I use the scuttle when I'm building lather on the face and the bowl when I'm using that to make a lather. And if you have both in matching Bonnyman clay...well, enough said.

J.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

KenS

Post by KenS »

I live in an older house (first built in 1917) that has no furnace. I have a wall mounted propane heater in the center of the house. That is why I have an oil filled radiator style heater in the bathroom. The nice part is that I can fill the sink with hot water and soak my brush, and an ancient Old Spice shaving mug while showering. I can now place the heated mug on the "radiator" and after I finish lathering, the brush goes into the mug and stays warm until the 2nd or 3rd pass happens.
Ken
Keeping it simple but effective.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

+1 on the Moss Scuttle. It does a great job, and looks great on the counter!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

I agree,
The Moss scuttle is one of the best shaving related purchases I have made thus far.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
Lou

Post by Lou »

jww wrote:While the Moss scuttle may well be the ultimate in scuttle experience, the Burleigh scuttle which I picked up on the market in York, England last summer works quite well for me.
With the possible exception of the large spout letting the water cool quicker, it seems to me that a traditional scuttle would get the job done. How, if at all, does it keep the lathered brush warm between passes?
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Lou wrote:
jww wrote:While the Moss scuttle may well be the ultimate in scuttle experience, the Burleigh scuttle which I picked up on the market in York, England last summer works quite well for me.
With the possible exception of the large spout letting the water cool quicker, it seems to me that a traditional scuttle would get the job done. How, if at all, does it keep the lathered brush warm between passes?
The trick is the pottery which retains heat from the hot water in the lower receptacle.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
pjdatzil

Post by pjdatzil »

Can you create lather in the moss scuttle or is it just a place to put your brush in-between?
Tad
Pen-in-Hand

Post by Pen-in-Hand »

Place to keep the brush in-between. See drP's post above for links to pics on the use of the Moss scuttle.
Jay

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

For a simple quick and easy way, I often sit my bowl in the sink of hot water while shaving. With the right bowl, it works great. You need either a fairly tall and heavy mug that will sit stable on the bottom when there is enough water in the sink to shave with, or a bowl that is stable enough floating not to tip over with the brush in it.

-Mo
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....
Pen-in-Hand

Post by Pen-in-Hand »

MOSES wrote:For a simple quick and easy way, I often sit my bowl in the sink of hot water while shaving. With the right bowl, it works great. You need either a fairly tall and heavy mug that will sit stable on the bottom when there is enough water in the sink to shave with, or a bowl that is stable enough floating not to tip over with the brush in it.

-Mo
+1.

I find that great while making lather. Once it's in the brush, my choice is the scuttle to maintain the warm as the bowl is too big to rest the brush in.
Jay

Brutus

Re: Keeping the Brush Warm?

Post by Brutus »

UsherLincoln wrote:Good afternoon Gentlemen,

I've been shaving all my life, recently switched to a safety razor (the best move I've ever made, I'm not regretting all the cartidge razors I delt with for so many years) but I've come across a problem recently.

We've had an uncommonly cold winter here in the States, and I have been reluctant to turn the heat up making our house generally colder. Our bathroom in the morning is very cold, which makes the warm shower even better, but the problem I keep running into is keeping the brush and lather warm when not using them between passes.

Any suggestions on how to keep the heat in??

-Warm Regards (no pun intended haha)

A low-cost alternative to scuttles, which most likely would have to be ordered via the Internet and delivered by mail: shaving sticks

You rub the wet shaving stick on your wet face and generate the lather by swirling the wet, warm brush on you face. For the next pass you wet you face again, rub the stick again, dip the brush under/into warm water and repeat the process.

As you generate fresh lather for each pass, the brush does not have much time to cool.

First, I was not so keen on shaving sticks, but recently I have found a few sticks that agree with me (Valobra, Arko, TOBS, D.R. Harris) and have become a regular user/convert.
scaryshoes

Post by scaryshoes »

I have a rather large scuttle purchased on the Bay. I soak the brush while showering and then refill the scuttle with fresh hot water to begin the shave. I have found that if you place a washcloth on the spout it retains the warmth better...but a Moss Scuttle is on my wish list.
Anthony

God is good all of the time.

Post by Pen-in-Hand »

scaryshoes wrote:a Moss Scuttle is on my wish list.
Check the Selling/Trading Forum, one appears there from time to time.
Jay

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Lincoln the Moss scuttle is the best combination of old technology and new thought.
Regards,
Squire