A gift from my wife!

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
YS

A gift from my wife!

Post by YS »

Tonight my wife gave me a G B Kent BK8 Shaving Brush as a gift. No special date… just out of the blue, I was speechless, the thought; on it own wonderful and thoughtful, the second thing I was thinking what a great choice and you cannot top the quality of the brush. The BK8 is Kent’s Medium size brush it is about 11cms high, it has the traditional white handle filled with a silver tip (my first silver tip brush) badger hair and was presented to me in red gift boxes.

Obviously, I FEEL GOOD, Just want to ask a few questions,

Can I dip the bristles in the water from my hot pot, as I am doing currently with my Vulfix brush?

Should I get a Shaving Brush Stand prior to my first use?

And as my first shave with it should it be -- Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream Avocado or Nomad from C & E, any other comments are welcomed.

YS
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

YS, You might want to think about keeping this 'girlfriend' around. Seriously, that's awfully thoughful of her, especially, if you live in the US, where a Kent BK8 would almost certainly have had to have been ordered, probably from the UK. It's an excellent all round brush. Anything that you've been doing with your Vulfix, you can also do with the Kent. They are made in a similiar manner, and are both quality products. Enjoy. Regards, Gordon
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Re: A gift from my wife!

Post by guenron »

YS wrote:Tonight my wife gave me a G B Kent BK8 Shaving Brush as a gift. No special date… just out of the blue, I was speechless, the thought; on it own wonderful and thoughtful, the second thing I was thinking what a great choice and you cannot top the quality of the brush. The BK8 is Kent’s Medium size brush it is about 11cms high, it has the traditional white handle filled with a silver tip (my first silver tip brush) badger hair and was presented to me in red gift boxes.

Obviously, I FEEL GOOD, Just want to ask a few questions,

Can I dip the bristles in the water from my hot pot, as I am doing currently with my Vulfix brush?

Should I get a Shaving Brush Stand prior to my first use?

And as my first shave with it should it be -- Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream Avocado or Nomad from C & E, any other comments are welcomed.

YS
Greetings YS,
Anyone that can train SWMBO that well should be GIVING answers, not ASKING questions! :lol:
I have a BK12 and dip (soak) it in water that has been boiled in a pyrex measuring cup in the microwave and used only to sanitize my razor. Probably 170 to 180 Farenheit.
The stand! Ah.. If you wish to ask this question be prepared for two diametrically opposed opinions, i.e. YES and NO. I refuse to be drawn into this, but GET A STAND!!!! :D
Definitely use the cream that pleases you most. AND, Enjoy your new prize!
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

great gal, great brush. get a stand, it looks neat to display it and it cant hurt. if not, make sure to flick it well, and i like to run the bristles over my towel about 4 or so times back and forth.

i vote the avocado or any scent that you are gonna love. take your time, enjoy the bristles on your face and the scent of the cream

sam
Kent Frazier

Post by Kent Frazier »

I have to disagree with the replies here so far. With a wife like that, pick a scent that SHE is going to love! :D :D :D :D

Kent[/i]
English

Post by English »

What a lucky man you are. The optimum shaving brush. A dream for many an English wet shaver. That brush could last you a lifetime. Just so you know, it costs about the same price as a tank of gas in England and that's a bucket full of money. I mean do you know how many bunches of flowers that is?

Kent manufactures a brush holder just for the BK8 follow the link below to see one. It's the VS5. Maybe Kent sell it because they recommend it. They should know, they make the brushes.

http://www.kentbrushes.com/acatalog/Stands.html

Incidently and one warning, not particularly for your Kent brush but, I do not believe any brush maker would recommend dunking the whole of the brush in boiling water.(the tips of the bristles may be OK) The heat on the plastic handle may/must cause contractions between the handle, the glue and the knot of the badger bristles. The knot could then fall out or become loose in the handle. It's common sense really although I don't have enough myself. I have had a knot come out from a handle, but the brush was not high quality and got left on a hot window sill in the sunshine for a long time.

Hope this helps.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Evening, I think that English's warning should be taken seriously. In a couple of printed slips that have arrived with quality brushes, it has said specifically "... brush is sterilized...do NOT boil....". Almost boiling water, on the bristle, should be okay, but personally, I wouldn't go farther then that. Regards, Gordon
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

bernards66 wrote:Evening, I think that English's warning should be taken seriously. In a couple of printed slips that have arrived with quality brushes, it has said specifically "... brush is sterilized...do NOT boil....". Almost boiling water, on the bristle, should be okay, but personally, I wouldn't go farther then that. Regards, Gordon
Ah yes Gordon,
Badger hair sterilization is usually accomplished by immersion in 190 Degree F water for several hours. Note that the hair is not usually in a handle at that point. =;
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Kent Frazier wrote:With a wife like that, pick a scent that SHE is going to love! :D :D :D :D
This brings up a good point, do any of you gents have suggestions for a nice womans fragrance? I was thinking of getting my wife some nice scents for Christmas. I have already gotten her into using a Lady Gillette on her legs and other places with my new SMF brush and some of the nice shave creams I have but I think she might be getting jealous with all the colognes I have been getting.

Any thoughts?
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
English

Post by English »

When I was a world traveller, I would usually return bearing gifts as a sop for my absenteeism.

Two mistakes I made were

Jean Patou's "Joy" and Van Cleef & Arpel's "First".

I used to regularly purchase Channel's "No5" for my wife but as good as it is, she developed a taste for the finer things in life and certainly "Joy" is one of the finer ladies scents. also a little expensive although an internet search for the EDT will find you acceptable prices. I know for a fact that the pefume demands quality ingrediants and is expensive to produce. So you can console yourself that you are buying quality and getting value for money. Perfumiers all try to match the scents like Joy with synthetic essences and mixtures that try to match the fragrance at a budget price. They all fail miserably. This scent has been arround since the 1920's and I read an article putting it up their as one of the best. A closely guarded secret shared between gentlemen.
Last edited by English on Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

my wife has a persnickety nose. what she likes is chanel coco mademoiselle, and creed spring flowers

sam