Reasonably priced travel brush?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
cola

Reasonably priced travel brush?

Post by cola »

Anybody know of a decent travel brush that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I only spent $30 on my daily use brush and I am quite happy with it, so I was kind of hoping to spend less than that on a travel brush. I purchased this one from Magellan's:

http://www.magellans.com/store/Toiletri ... A464?Args=

for $9, and while it seems to hold plenty of water it does a terrible job of mixing it with the cream. I end up using twice as much cream and half as much water and still end up with something that looks more like clam chowder than shaving cream.

I've seen decent-looking travel brushes at Crabtree & Evelyn and L'Occitane, but they cost more than my daily use brush. I'm having a hard time justifying that for something I'm going to use a dozen times a year (I travel often, but don't shave that much when I do unless it's for business). Thoughts?

Alan
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Alan,

Check over at Em's place. I was perusing through her site last night and noticed that she sells "covers" so that you could convert your regular brush into a travel brush.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

Alan,

If you don't want to carry your everyday brush with you on the road buy another $30 one for travel. I've had three different small travel brushes and either shelved or sold them all. I travel with a Vulfix 377 as I enjoy just a luxurious shave on the road as I do at home. If you have your heart set a small travel brush P.M. me, I've got that small Vulfix travel brush that I could sell.

John
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Alan, I agree with the above. I have always traveled with one of my regular brushes. I've never owned a specific 'travel brush'. Also, I doubt that any travel brush under $30-$40 new, is even worth buying. A brush that doesn't lather properly, is nothing but a pain in the butt. Regards, Gordon
halwilson

Post by halwilson »

jvan wrote:Alan,

If you don't want to carry your everyday brush with you on the road buy another $30 one for travel. I've had three different small travel brushes and either shelved or sold them all. I travel with a Vulfix 377 as I enjoy just a luxurious shave on the road as I do at home. If you have your heart set a small travel brush P.M. me, I've got that small Vulfix travel brush that I could sell.

John
John,
I also have a Vulfix 377. Nice brush. How do you pack it when travelling? For travelling I have the small Vulfix super badger travel brush with tube that I purchased for 55 USD. It's not a 377, but it is one fine brush, more than satisfactory for my travel needs.
Hal
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

Hal,

I've mentioned this in another post but I can't find it so that I could refer you to it. First off I use the large size of this:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... &feat=dp50

(Wish I knew how to do that tiny URL thing but I don't)

In one of the lower mesh sections I place an empty toilet paper tube and drop my 377 into it, it is a perfect fit and keeps the hair in perfect condition. To remove it I grasp the tube and drop the brush out the bottom. In my mind the main idea is to protect the badger portion of the brush and this does a remarkable job at no cost and weighs next to nothing in addition to allowing the brush to dry out. I used to use a bulky prescription medicine bottle that I could not find a year or so ago and stumbled on this out of need for a quick fix, since then it's all I ever use.

Hope this is of some help, it isn't pretty but it does a yeomans job.

John
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Tweezerman and Prangles can

Post by tonyespo »

Hell, I may as well get laughed at twice in one day. You can read my post on I need a brush on a budget.

Get a Tweezerman on Ebay and cut a Prangles can to size to hold the brush. For under 20 buck you have a good brush and can eat the Prangles to use the can for your holder.

OK, Guys laugh on!!

Tony Espo