question re: a brush comparison...

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Gramps
Canadian Badass

question re: a brush comparison...

Post by Gramps »

I was wondering if any of you gentlemen that purchased the SMF Club Brush, may also have the SR212 "Tortoise Hog" brush from QED?

I have been interested in that brush since introduced and would like to know if the bristles may be a bit 'stiffer' than the SMF brush. My thinking is.... even if the 30mm knot is tighter but the bristle length is a bit shorter, there should be a perceived difference in stiffness. or rigidity... I hope.

I would like bristles a bit stiffer I think, now that my SMF brush is properly broken in. I don't think I want to spend the required amount on a Rooney or Kent/Simpson, et al.

It would also give me a reason to order a couple other things from Charles...LOL

Thanks all,

- Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

well, i find my smf brush to be softer than my kent bk8, but yes, the kent bk line is softer than simpsons

sam
English

Post by English »

The Kent BK2 is a stiffer brush. It's the same size as the BK4 but made of a slightly lower badger grade.
http://www.kentbrushes.com/acatalog/Whi ... adger.html

You can see by the prices Which include 17.5% VAT fot the English customers taht the brush is not that expensive.
I've had the BK4 and I now use the BK2. The BK2 gets the lather in amongst the beard as well as any brush I've used. I have concluded that the average silver tip brush is too soft for me. I'm not prepared to pay the asking price for the high mountain silver tip which i suspect does a good job as well.
If you want a bigger Kent see below
http://www.kentbrushes.com/acatalog/Tor ... adger.html
I've had the T12 and for me it was too big. Its the same head size as the BK12. The T8 is the BK8 equivalent. One warning, the Badger in the BK2 is better quality than the T series but not as good as the BK silvertips.
The BK2 is the best bargain out there. In my humble opinion.
mike

Post by mike »

Gramps, There is a review of the SR212 over at B&B. You might want to give it a look.
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Gramps and other gentlemen,

Of all my brushes the most densely packed, most "rigid" or "stiff" bristle lofts i can find in my Shavemac brushes #167, #220 and #436 (with the exception of my SMF brush.....!)

I keep on saying it: they are WITHOUT ANY DOUBT IMO the best value for price brushes in my whole collection....

Peter
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Thanks very much all of you.
I thought the ShaveMac might come up in this thread...LOL

Very good... I will look at the Kents as well, but the ShaveMac looks like the one.
I just liked the look of the SR Tortoise.... I remembered the review done a while back and read the one at B&B... but it didn't "compare".

Thanks all.

- Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Larry,

Maybe you could make a compromise...

http://tinyurl.com/ckqxs

I haven't visited the Shavemac site for a while, and it looks like Bernd has made some big changes...both style wise and price wise.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books