Ok, I really need a new brush...... help!

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
kaptain_zero

Ok, I really need a new brush...... help!

Post by kaptain_zero »

Ok, so that bristle brush I dug out of the closet.... some 20 years old now isn't performing to the standards I've discovered on this forum. It still works, even after my badly abusing it so many years ago. Yes, I was a DE shaver for quite a few years but like so many others followed the lead lemming towards multiblade wonders, canned whipping cream and ACK... eeeeelectrical monstrosities.

"Cut" to the chase you say? I really wish you would have used a slightly different wording there but here is shall we say, the poop. I only have a limited amount of money (ok, no money then.... sheesh) for this next purchase so I'm going to have to make it a good one. I have, after scouring website after website selected 2 brushes that would be in a price range that would not entail my drowning in a sea of melted plastic cards if you know what I mean.

1: Vulfix 2234 (Classicshaving)

2: Savile Row SR-208 (QED)

I like the looks of the Vulfix but having spoken only once to Charles at QED I'm strongly leaning towards QED carried products, just because of the service I felt I got, not to mention reading some of the postings of other satisfied customers on ths forum.

Your comments on my choices would be most appreciated.. this will indeed be my first true badger brush and I know it won't be my last but it may have to do for some time. I have unfortunatly discovered that I am *not* a Proroso man... at least not a green tube man, you could say... While it was ok shaving with the green, it felt like I couldn't feel my face for hours afterwards, just a stinging, burning cold. I'll have to budget for some more cream/soap in search of something better. Feel free to point out other options and I will entertain a +/- $10 or variation if it really would make a difference. I will take my cream quandry to the appropriate forum.

Sorry 'bout the wordy nature of my posts.... I do tend to ramble on, don't I? :wink:

Regards

Christian, A self proclaimed retro grouch.
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Here is a great thread that may help a lot. I dont mean not to write out an answer but I am really lazy right now to write anything intelligent.
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2706
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2618
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2543

If you have read these already, I apologize. Maybe I shouldnt be so lazy.
:x

Johnnie
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
DoubleE

Post by DoubleE »

Christian:
You probably can't go wrong with either brush. I have the Vulfix 2235 and really like it. It's great with creams which I prefer, and I have a shavemac on the way. From reading many posts, I get the opinion that both the brushes you mentioned are similar and will be very soft.

Like you, I've found I'm not a green Proraso man. I prefer the three Ts lather, smell, and feel. I believe I get the creamiest lather from Trumpers however. Now, which cologne??????

Enjoy your re-found hobby, passion, obsession.......whatever.

Jerry
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Low budget Badger brush

Post by tonyespo »

Christian I will most likely get laughed at when I tell you this, but here it is anyway. If you are on a budget and want a GREAT value Badger brush go on Ebay and order a Tweezerman brush. It will cost about $15.00 with shipping. I have 4 Badger brushes. One is a Kent, another is an Art of Shaving, one is a custom made monster size that I bought from Howard on this forum, and the Tweezerman. For a great bang for the buck the Tweezerman is the way to go. I like it better than my Art of Shaving. It lathers as well as my Kent. I can't compare it with my custom made brush because it is 1/3 the size.

OK, Guys you can laugh now and tell me I'm crazy. I stand fast in my opinion that the Tweezerman is a very good brush.

Tony Espo
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

QED's brushes sound like great value for money. You won't go wrong. And if something should go wrong, Charles is well known for making sure things come out right in the end.

I have the Vulfix one size bigger than yours, and it's very good too. So luxuriously soft it's almost limp, but does its job very well.
honkdonker

Post by honkdonker »

Mr. Tony Espo:

It is great that the Tweezerman is working for you. The results you get is one half of the great equation of the allure of wetshaving. If you are getting great results from a prodcut, that is awesome.

The other half of the equation, of course, is trying the various products that are out there.

Results + Variety = Wetshaving.

Thanks.
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

First off, thanks to Johnnie for those links, I had read two of them but found the third very interesting and informative and thanks to the rest as well for your comments.

I've mulled over this again today. I really would much prefer to buy my last brush first as it is much less expensive in the end, but on this item I really don't have a reference point to go by.

Even the more experienced gents on this forum have widely differing opinions not only on size but manufacturer and style, usually a sign that the better brushes are all good and that personal taste becomes the main and deciding factor.

Is it fair the to say that a 22mm - 25mm knot brush in low end Super Badger is sufficiant in size as to not cause immediate upgrade pangs? I just don't want to blow this purchase by 10 bucks if it would make a large difference in the end.

Regards

Christian
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Christian, By George, I think you've got it! Yes, a Vulfix Super brush, in that 24mm range, will provide you with an excellent, really top notch brush ( BTW, all the Savile Row brushes pictured on the QED web site, are Vulfixs, he sells a few brushes that are not, but they're not pictured ). Anything needed for a shave brush to do, that one will do. I know one shaver who has a number of good brushes, and in truth, could afford to get a Plisson silvertip if he really wanted to, and most days, what does he use? A Vulfix Super 2235 ( 24mm knot ). Regards, Gordon
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Thank you Gordon, my next move will be to drop a line to Charles. I think the Savile Row SR-208 will do "the trick". Ok... well, at least for now. I did drool on my keyboard when I saw the latest brush that Chris ordered from Shavemac... the one with that long white handle.... I have a weakness for ivory.... even fake ivory!

Christian (who prefers "Chris" but with all the other Chris's on the forum will remain forever Christian" )
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

There are those who say that any bigger than about 25 mm just gets in the way. You'll be fine.

And yes, it is personal preference, because every person recommending different brushes to you is getting a decent shave. Don't worry. :lol:
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Tnx everyone,

I've just placed my order with QED, and I have, after a long chat on the phone the other day (at his nickle no less) decided to leave it in his hands as to what he'll send me. I requested the SR-208 but if there is something else superior in his stock, I've left it to him to send me that instead.... money and budget be damned. I may end up being a poor fool, but I'll be a well groomed poor fool! :twisted:

Regards

Christian