Taylor of Old Bond Street Imitation Badger not Synthetic

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
merkri

Taylor of Old Bond Street Imitation Badger not Synthetic

Post by merkri » Wed May 21, 2008 7:44 am

I just thought I'd post a note about my exchange with Taylor of Old Bond Street about their imitation badger brushes. In many places, including this forum and elsewhere, these brushes are described as synthetic. This seems not to be true--or at least, is only partially true.

My first email reply from them, when I asked if they were made from the hair of animals other than badgers:
Thank you for your email.

With regards to our imitation badger shaving brushes, the make up of the
hair may vary from one batch to another and could consist of some animal
hair. I will check on this and email you once I have further
information.

Kindest Regards,

Taylor of Old Bond Street

A couple of days later I received this email:
Further to our previous email,

The imitation Badger is made up of Hogs Bristle, Nylon and fine hair.

We are in the next few weeks bringing out a new version of the imitation
badger shaving brush with different hair.

We would be pleased to forward further information about this brush when
it comes available.

Kindest Regards,

bjrn

Post by bjrn » Fri May 23, 2008 4:23 pm

Huh. I've asked them as well. I sent them an email asking if there was any animal hair (for instance boar) in the imitation badger brush, and got this reply (the exchange was in July last year):
Thank you for your email.

With regards to your question, The imitation brushes are synthetic and
not boar hair.

Kindest Regards,

drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Taylor of Old Bond Street Imitation Badger not Synthetic

Post by drmoss_ca » Fri May 23, 2008 5:43 pm

Further to our previous email,

The imitation Badger is made up of Hogs Bristle, Nylon and fine hair.
High mountain 'fine' or simply 'best'?
We are in the next few weeks bringing out a new version of the imitation
badger shaving brush with different hair.
My god! Not the silvertip 'Different' that is a protected species?
We would be pleased to forward further information about this brush when it comes available.
I'd be rather pleased if you did. Especially if it made any goddam sense at all.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace

bjrn

Post by bjrn » Sat May 24, 2008 8:20 am

I sent them an email last night, and got a reply saying that when I asked them about the contents last year, the current batch didn't have any animal hair, but that since then they'd introduced boar into it. And that the new hair mix they are working on won't contain any animal hair. The email also pointed out that to them "imitation badger" simply meant that the brush doesn't contain any badger hair. Kind of like how Kent puts "Pure badger" on their brushes to indicate that nothing but badger hair is in the knot, ToBS go with anything but badger in these brushes. :?

I've used more synthetic brushes than anyone I know of, and I get asked regularly about synthetic brushes. While I've been wet shaving for less than a year I'm always happy to share my experiences with synthetic brushes, and I've been telling people that the ToBS brush it's a really nice synthetic brush. So I'm not too pleased by this whole hog business (which I also wrote in my email to them).

notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest » Sat May 24, 2008 6:15 pm

Some cosmetic brushes are made of goat hair. Maybe this brush is part goat, or part whatever else that they may not want to admit. Maybe it's Soylent Green.

merkri

Post by merkri » Sun May 25, 2008 5:55 pm

bjrn wrote:The email also pointed out that to them "imitation badger" simply meant that the brush doesn't contain any badger hair. Kind of like how Kent puts "Pure badger" on their brushes to indicate that nothing but badger hair is in the knot, ToBS go with anything but badger in these brushes. :?
Yeah, I wouldn't have necessarily assumed that "imitation badger" meant "synthetic," except for what you and other people were writing about it.

I've used more synthetic brushes than anyone I know of, and I get asked regularly about synthetic brushes. While I've been wet shaving for less than a year I'm always happy to share my experiences with synthetic brushes, and I've been telling people that the ToBS brush it's a really nice synthetic brush. So I'm not too pleased by this whole hog business (which I also wrote in my email to them).
I became a little suspicious by various people complaining of an odd smell that goes away eventually. I've never even used a brush, but it sounded a bit too much like what I've read about animal hair brushes. When I saw that they weren't actually saying it was synthetic on their promotional materials, it made me more suspicious.

It sounds like what they've been emailing has been a little misleading, if not exactly false. You and at least one other person--who had complained of the odd smell--had both said that you had emailed them and asked them if it was synthetic, and they indicated in reply that it was synthetic, so I thought I would try again.

I guess the tricky part is that at any given moment it might be synthetic, but at any other moment, it might not.

You'd think they would be pretty clear about what's going in their brushes for a variety of reasons, even it was just to say "what we put in the brushes changes from day to day and might include any of the following..."