Brush Hair

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Brush Hair

Post by jvan »

Does anyone know if any other animals were ever considered as hair donors for shaving brushes? How in the world did someone say "I think that I'm going to get me some hair off that critter over there and make a shaving brush out of it".

There certainly are animals more readily available that might have been tried. Gordon or anyone else with an historical knowledge of this, do you know if any other animals were used in the manufacture of these brushes?

I don't recall ever seeing anything written regarding brushes made from other animal hair only bristle and synthetic.

John
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I can't remember where I read it (might have been in another post) but Horsehair was used for soldiers in WWI but they were, supposedly, infected with Anthrax so they were switched to Boar and Badger.

I'm sure someone here will have the link to what I'm referring to.
Paul
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Most people are unaware of this, but the hair that has the best water-holding capacities, combined with ultra softness and striking appearance, belongs to our friend the skunk. The first skunk brush was made by a rather enterprising man who had lost his sense of smell. He discovered what others dared not attempt to find out: namely, that the finest shave brush you can get, in terms of its function, is made out of skunk. His find spawned a cult of ultra-hardcore shaving mavens who have taken up the gauntlet and make skunk brushes to use and trade amongst themselves, since commercial makers will not touch the stuff, due to its lack of marketability. These gentlemen do possess smellers, but their utmost passion is the ultimate shave, and they will not be deterred by something as trivial as odor.* Unfortunately for those wanting to obtain one of these amazing brushes, these geekiest of shavegeeks are not the kind who socialize much, and they do not like to speak of their craft to any but those they trust to let near them. If you actually do earn the trust of one - and if you can stand to be near him long enough - he will tell you the inside scoop about the brushes. He might even let you have one. That's how I got mine. The taxonomy for skunk brush hair is limited, compared to that of badger hair. The most highly prized hair for brushmaking comes from the tail; indeed, you will rarely if ever see a skunk brush in anything other than tail hair. Remember, the only skunk brushes in existence are custom made by weird dudes in their garages, mostly in rural areas, and they don't waste their time with any other type of hair. After all, if you were making your own brush, would you settle for anything less than the best?

* I don't know how the reconcile this attitude with their love of finely scented shave creams. I was afraid if I asked, I would get banished from the inner sanctum.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nathan, I must say that I am disappointed in you. I only shared that information regarding the underground skunk tail fur brushes in strictest confidence. You promised to keep it to yourself, and now you've gone and blabbed it all over the forum! This will cost me my hard won connection in this community, and I will, therefore, not be able to provide you with that giant sized skunk tail brush that I was going to get for you. I hope you're satisfied! Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, In addition to badger, boar bristle, horsehair, and the above...ahem.., goat hair has also been used. In fact, for a number of years, and maybe still, the shave brushes sold by Penhaligons were partially goat hair. Long ago, furriers and brushmakers knew that badger fur was one of the very few that actually absorbed water, so making shave brushes from it was an obvious development. Regards, Gordon
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

bernards66 wrote:Nathan, I must say that I am disappointed in you. I only shared that information regarding the underground skunk tail fur brushes in strictest confidence. You promised to keep it to yourself, and now you've gone and blabbed it all over the forum! This will cost me my hard won connection in this community, and I will, therefore, not be able to provide you with that giant sized skunk tail brush that I was going to get for you. I hope you're satisfied! Gordon
You guys are kidding right? :shock:
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
growler

Post by growler »

I watched a lot of college football this past weekend. One of the games I caught was Michigan -vs- Wisconsin. Of course the superior Badgers won, but I found myself wondering Hmmm. How would Wolverine hair do in a shave brush?
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Skunk: so out, it's in.

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

nathan: that is great.

sam
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Nathan,

Is that pure skunk, best skunk, super skunk or high mountain Ozark skunk?

Dave T
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

OMG, dave, i forgot about that high mountain skunk. wow, i had not considered that. now they have that low country skunk brush, but that aint for shaving.

sam
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Looks like the "Brush of Frankenstein", oh, I mean the "Bride of Frankenstein"!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
edgebreakdown

Post by edgebreakdown »

Given that Badger hair aborbs so much water, I guess not to many of them go swimming. They would sink. No wonder the character in "The Wind in the Willows" was not so keen on Ratty's habit of "messing around in boats" I suppose they stay in on rainy nights as well. It's a wonder they survive at all, especially the English ones.

Alasdair
Just one one more stroke on the hone and it will be perfect....... Oh $****
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Sam and Dave T, as I said before, the taxonomy for skunk hair is limited compared to that of badger hair. The guys who make these things do not waste their time with any but the finest grade of skunk hair, which comes from the tail. Thus, there is no name for hair in a skunk brush other than "skunk," or sometimes "tail," which are synonymous in the trade. Believe me, anyone manly enough to put up with the smell of skunk in his brush isn't going to priss around with such silly names as best, pure, super or high mountain.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

nate: i know dave and i were jesting but think of it, some guys with a dead skunk, maybe perhaps grading skunk hair.

sam
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

I should think that the menest of men don't bother with cutting the hair and knotting it and gluing it in a handle. They just cut off a piece of skunk tail and shave with it.

Dave T
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Hi;

I would think a line of skunk brushes called Wild Country RK (Road Kill) would be exotic enough to go over well.

BobS
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Dave, I didn't want to mention it before, but among the "skunkers," as they call themselves, there is a slight faction who have an almost druidical belief in the power of skunk hair. These unusual folks believe that live skunk hair, on the tail of a living skunk, actually has the power to heal, and sometimes prevent, nicks and razor burn. Thus, these "lifers" go to great efforts to use the whole skunk as a brush, lathering up with its tail while they put up with the inevitable fighting and spraying the skunk does. These are hardcore folks, very difficult to approach, in more ways than one. During my time with the skunkers, I never met a lifer I didn't respect, but I cannot say I grew to like them much.
Last edited by JackieMartling on Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

Gordon,

You have a PM.

John
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin